Dreambox

Started by Father Jack, January 09, 2014, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

no just a sky dish and an internet connection, quality very good
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Boycey

Ive been using one of these for 13 months now with no problems whatsoever.... All in its cost me approx €100 for box and subscription.

mb80b60

Quote from: gerry on December 10, 2014, 11:03:17 AM

That's my problem, I don't have a dish! Is there anywhere to get the dishes separately?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: mb80b60 on December 10, 2014, 12:34:33 PM

That's my problem, I don't have a dish! Is there anywhere to get the dishes separately?
Ebay/ amazon, a dish will only cost you about 25/30 quid. getting it put up pointing the right direction can be tricky tho
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

clarshack

I bought an openbox a few months ago from eopenbox.co.uk and it is a good job, only problem is with the subscription (was £60 for the year) as it usually freezes 3-4 times during a game.

Will be looking for a new subscription when the year is up. Any recommendations welcome.

Muzz

Quote from: mb80b60 on December 10, 2014, 12:34:33 PM

I have spare dish if you could collect around mid ulster or Belfast - willing to do you a good deal (brand new).  You'd only need to get yourself some cable and fit it yourself.

I do know people that have got sky out to install the minimum package then take the sky box out and put in one of these ones.  Sky do free fitting I believe.

trueblue1234

Do you often have to reconfigure these boxes? I had a friend who got one but he had to update it every week!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Muzz

There are tools out there now that means you shouldnt need to update them as often.

The big problem was when sky changed the frequency of their channels and the bouquets would need to be updated to show the channel.  Now theres software installed on the box that scans for such changes and automatically updates the box.

Boycey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 10, 2014, 12:55:03 PM
Do you often have to reconfigure these boxes? I had a friend who got one but he had to update it every week!

I've not had to update mine in an age.. The updates only usually tend to be for ease of finding channels rather than anything important. I set one up for a friend 12 months ago and he's never updated as he wouldn't know how :-)

Clarshack, my subscription was less than half that and seldom if ever freezes. I'll dig out who I got it from if you like

WeeDonns

Shouldn't have to reconfigure
These guys that are charging you a "subscription", make sure they know what they're talking about. Quiz them on their server setup etc. Some of them are charging you for absolutely nothing

If you don't have a dish and don't want to put one up, you could get an android media player with xbmc installed

Something like this;Android MX or this is rated goodAndroid M8

just connect to your broadband (wifi or ethernet)

I have VU+ Solo linux box

and a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed

and the Raspberry Pi is every bit as reliable as the dreambox that I pay a subscription to. They use the same repositories & streams

take_yer_points

Quote from: WeeDonns on December 10, 2014, 01:40:38 PM
Shouldn't have to reconfigure
These guys that are charging you a "subscription", make sure they know what they're talking about. Quiz them on their server setup etc. Some of them are charging you for absolutely nothing

If you don't have a dish and don't want to put one up, you could get an android media player with xbmc installed

Something like this;Android MX or this is rated goodAndroid M8

just connect to your broadband (wifi or ethernet)

I have VU+ Solo linux box

and a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed

and the Raspberry Pi is every bit as reliable as the dreambox that I pay a subscription to. They use the same repositories & streams

Was just talking about the Pi today - going to add one to the list for Christmas. Good job? Are you streaming over wifi or Ethernet? Think I'm going to go with the B+ version

gerry

I downloaded an updated channel list and loaded it via a USB stick to the openbox and then I entered the code I bought in eBay for the sky movies and sports.  It took me a wee while to get the hang of it but there are loads of videos on YouTube showing you what to do.  I still have my sky box as you can't sky plus on these but it saves you a fortune on sky sports and movies.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2014, 07:15:32 PM
Quote from: gerry on December 10, 2014, 10:26:28 AM
i cancelled sky sports the last month and bought an openbox on ebay, its a great bit of kit and some saving on sky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-OPENBOX-V5S-F5S-HD-Freesat-PVR-TV-Satellite-Receiver-Box-/321417408647?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item4ad5f87087

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161463575832?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-500Mbps-Nano-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Home-Plug-Twin-Pack-TL-PA411KIT-/390914172958?pt=UK_Computing_Powerline_Networking&hash=item5b044ce81e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321581915033
What's the story with these gerry? Do you pay a subscription to someone or is it just plug and play?

The boxes can be bought on DoneDeal or EBay with the subscription or "gift" as they call it already installed so I suppose thise ones are plug and play. I followed the DIY option like Gerry though and could point you to the (simple) guide I followed.

I have found today though when I went to see who my sub was with that a lot of them don't seem to be taking new subscriptions currently so perhaps buying box with sub already on it it might be best, it's only slightly dearer..