Match Programmes

Started by rw85, January 01, 2014, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rw85

Hi,

I'm just looking for some help in terms of finding any collectors out there or pointing me in the right direction for football memorabilia..
I currently have the match program for the 1943 all ireland football final between cavan and roscommon, the 1945 final between cork and cavan and the 1961 program for down and offaly. I also have the 1950 all ireland semi final program for armagh and mayo..
I'm just wondering where would the best place to get these appraised as I have got different opionions recently and wondering if there are many people who would be interested in collecting these? They are all in very reasonable condition considering their age.

Thanks.

Syferus

I'll give ya 30 Euro for the 1943 programme.

To be honest, your biggest problem is finding a buyer at a price you'll accept. Sellers on eBay usually put mad But It Now prices or reserves on programmes older than the 1970s and they hardly ever sell.

bottom brick

Id be very interested in the two Cavan programmes,  I have about ten from the 50s-70s and I am tryin to build my collection.
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2014, 06:43:12 PM

To be honest, your biggest problem is finding a buyer at a price you'll accept. Sellers on eBay usually put mad But It Now prices or reserves on programmes older than the 1970s and they hardly ever sell.

Yeh right and I'll give you 5 euro for your Rolex watch.

I've sent you a PM on those programs.

rw85

Ya sure that sounds like a fair deal alright! Good man!

Syferus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 01, 2014, 07:03:16 PM

???

Plenty of programmes from the 40-60's go for 30-50 Euro.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1961-All-Ireland-Senior-Football-Semi-Final-Roscommon-v-Offaly-/151179525560?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item2333007db8 €26.50 (minus eBay fees) for the '61 AISF programme.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GAA-1955-All-Ireland-Football-SF-REPLAYS-Cavan-Kerry-Dublin-Mayo-/321249414825?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4acbf50ea9 €30.06 for the dual '55 replays.

I saw someone trying to sell this very programme on eBay for 100 Euro a few years ago for and he couldn't off-load it for love or money.

If the seller isn't happy with the price I'm willing to negotiate within reason - it's an opening offer after all - but nice try at being a total idiot, though. Who would start off offering huge money for something they haven't seen? You? More of your usual petty vendettas.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2014, 07:33:50 PM

???

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1961-All-Ireland-Senior-Football-Semi-Final-Roscommon-v-Offaly-/151179525560?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item2333007db8 €26.50 (minus eBay fees) for the '61 AISF programme.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GAA-1955-All-Ireland-Football-SF-REPLAYS-Cavan-Kerry-Dublin-Mayo-/321249414825?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4acbf50ea9 €30.06 for the dual '55 replays.

I saw someone trying to sell this very programme on eBay for 100 Euro a few years ago for and he couldn't off-load it for love or money.

If the seller isn't happy with the price I'm willing to negotiate within reason but nice try at being a total idiot, though. Who would start off offering huge money for something they haven't seen? You? More of your usual petty vendettas.

Syferus - I am a collector, I've got hundreds of programs going back to the 30's. I deal in them every week and I've a fair idea what these things are worth and if I deal with anyone I will offer a fair price and won't be sneaky like you just were. If you think you know better than me fair enough but I will make this guy a fair offer if i'm interested and not some sneaky offer like you just did.

Syferus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 01, 2014, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2014, 07:33:50 PM

???

If the seller isn't happy with the price I'm willing to negotiate within reason but nice try at being a total idiot, though. Who would start off offering huge money for something they haven't seen? You? More of your usual petty vendettas.

Syferus - I am a collector, I've got hundreds of programs going back to the 30's. I deal in them every week and I've a fair idea what these things are worth and if I deal with anyone I will offer a fair price and won't be sneaky like you just were. If you think you know better than me fair enough but I will make this guy a fair offer if i'm interested and not some sneaky offer like you just did.

Making an offer publicly is hardly sneaky, neither is advising him to check on eBay. If I wanted to be sneaky I'd offer him something in PM. Are you even thinking about what you're saying? Being 'sneaky' by offering a value in public?

It's pretty clear to anyone that knows you that you've got your craw stuck in me for quite some time at this stage. Trying to present your response as only some sort of autistic intersession from a collector is as skewed as any valuation in this thread.

That's all I have to say on it. This isn't the place for you to be evening scores.

mylestheslasher

What was sneaky old boy was that you followed up your silly offer with a total load of bollocks about what happens on ebay acting like you are an authority on it, which you clearly are not. As for the rest of your post I have not a clue what you are on about.

BennyCake

I have loads of programs, been collecting for years. It's pointless buying them nowadays though. Too expensive, full of ads and dummy teams.

I was at the Railway Cup semi last year. Bought a program, £2. Opened it, 4 pages, 2 line ups, a front and back cover. It was the final straw. I don't buy any more.

Plain of the Herbs

Try the Collectibles Corner site.  They have regular on-line auctions (about 4 a year) and the results are posted on the site.
Quote from: rw85 on January 01, 2014, 05:16:34 PM
Hi,

I'm just looking for some help in terms of finding any collectors out there or pointing me in the right direction for football memorabilia..
I currently have the match program for the 1943 all ireland football final between cavan and roscommon, the 1945 final between cork and cavan and the 1961 program for down and offaly. I also have the 1950 all ireland semi final program for armagh and mayo..
I'm just wondering where would the best place to get these appraised as I have got different opionions recently and wondering if there are many people who would be interested in collecting these? They are all in very reasonable condition considering their age.

Thanks.

orangeman

Whytes auction house would have a pretty good idea on valuation.

4inarow

1943 all ireland football final between cavan and roscommon,

I dont have a price for this programme ,however the 1942 football All Ire  has sold for 1400 at collectables
meallys collectables catalogue 2011 put a guide price of 300-400 on 1944 All Ireland,

1961 program for down and offaly
sold for 72 on collectables corner

the 1945 final between cork and cavan
  currently on sale  for 375e at collectables corner (small damage to this programme on back cover)
Meally collectables sale 2011 catalogue put a guide price of 375-500

the 1950 all ireland semi final program for armagh and mayo
Cant see a price for this programme ,but both 1952 semi finals
have a guide price of 150-220 in meallys collactable catalogue 2010

I was recently at an auction where the 44 all ireland hurling final went for 900e

The above may help you ,
I think programme prices have come down a lot in past couple of years.Some crazy prices have been paid for programmes,I suppose it really down to how badly 2 people want it,

I have a lot of programmes that i would swop ,if anybody would be interested.

mylestheslasher

During the celtic tiger years there was a lack of patience and people were throwing mad money around for programs. Some stuff from the 30's was making over 2k. Its come back an awful lot and at least now it is almost an affordable hobby. I've always found it just as exciting to pick up an obscure Mckenna cup game in the 80's instead of the AI finals.

4inarow

Looking to swop programmes
would swop for anything in the gaa memoribilla line