prods in the 26

Started by lawnseed, December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on January 02, 2014, 01:26:08 PM
So, what of the Russian Orthodox Church? I'd always thought of it as Christian, but neither Roman Catholic or Protestant. I could be wrong,,,

You are not wrong.

Cold tea

Quote from: deiseach on January 02, 2014, 01:43:50 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 02, 2014, 01:26:08 PM
So, what of the Russian Orthodox Church? I'd always thought of it as Christian, but neither Roman Catholic or Protestant. I could be wrong,,,

You are not wrong.

They are all made up.

T Fearon

In any event Anglicans will soon be back in communion with Rome, with the Pope as overall leader. Didn't the Archbishop of Canterbury recently cite Pope Francis as his Man of the Year 2013? If that's not trying to worm your way back in I dont know what is! ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on January 02, 2014, 03:06:25 PM
In any event Anglicans will soon be back in communion with Rome, with the Pope as overall leader. Didn't the Archbishop of Canterbury recently cite Pope Francis as his Man of the Year 2013? If that's not trying to worm your way back in I dont know what is! ;D

Will he bring the married and gay priests with him though?

Would be a good thing IMO.

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on January 02, 2014, 03:39:59 PM
Will he bring the married and gay priests with him though?

Would be a good thing IMO.

Which brings us back to . . .

Rossfan

Quote from: deiseach on January 02, 2014, 12:09:46 PM
members of the Anglican communion, whether they are from England, Ireland or Ethiopia, do not see themselves as being 'Protestant' in the Reformation sense of the term.
Yet the whole lot of them in the North are usually referred to as "Protestants".
Serious Question - what is the difference between Presbyterianism and Methodism ??( Methodists in the North seem more reasonable and Christian to me)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Difference is how literally they interpret the Bible, and degree of divergence on whether God is one of  Love/Mercy or Vengeance, with Presbyterianism a lot more extreme towads the vengeance part. Anglicanism is catholic only in the sense of being universal, but unites with all other protestant faiths (and regardless of what members may think, they are "protestant") in opposition to the "Church of Rome", albeit not too mch doctrinally but in opposition to a "Surpreme" Pontiff

With such a divergence of protestant views, reflected in their different churches, is it any wonder that Northern unionism is split so many ways.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2014, 01:06:25 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 02, 2014, 12:47:22 PM
Surely if you belong to a Christian denomination, which isn't Roman Catholic, you are automatically a protestant, whether you like it or not? No sitting on the fence on this one.

No, but be careful though as you'd probably break the fence

mmmm Orthodox Christians, Coptic Christians, Official Chinese State Catholics, that Catholic-African hybrid religion in Cuba.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Apparently so

They should be banished

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on January 02, 2014, 04:02:01 PM
in opposition to the "Church of Rome", albeit not too mch doctrinally but in opposition to a "Surpreme" Pontiff

I think I would have jumped ship back in the day (reformation times). No one can deny they didn't have a point
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

armaghniac

If Martin Luther came back today he'd probably be happy to be an RC as anything else. In 16th century terms even the modern Catholics are Protestant (which is why the whole NI thing is stupid).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

It is a pity the Deformation caused a split in the Church. Protestantism in my view is fatally flawed as it basically states that faith alone (regardless of supporting actions) is sufficient to win salvation,which is why so many are convinced the likes of Billy Wright are in heaven.I'll stick with the original ....and the best!

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on January 03, 2014, 12:05:16 AM
It is a pity the Deformation caused a split in the Church. Protestantism in my view is fatally flawed as it basically states that faith alone (regardless of supporting actions) is sufficient to win salvation,which is why so many are convinced the likes of Billy Wright are in heaven.I'll stick with the original ....and the best!

If Billy was a catholic all he had to do was go to confession and gain absolution from a priest and he'd be in heaven as well, splitting hairs methinks Tony.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: T Fearon on January 03, 2014, 12:05:16 AM

You really think the Church of Rome is the original Christian faith!!!!!! Of course Christianity is just a cocktail of previous Asian, African and European myths and fairytales

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit