working for the LeQuint Dickey mining company?

Started by lawnseed, December 05, 2013, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Alternatively theres the lectinstein idea.. You work hard until your 60 then you get your pension its not bad.. But if you move abroad they'll pay you more so you move to a country with a lower cost of living and lord it for the rest of your life. This frees up housing and limited resources in the tiny country.
You need to be careful though some of these folk came to ireland in the 90s when the place was normal and then watched their spending power dwindle as the cost of living rocketed
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 06, 2013, 11:20:52 AM
Two more years working yourself into the grave.. Thanks dandy dave >:(

Ps im refering to the raising of the pension age to 68 for anyone now in their 40s or younger  ::)
So tell, me - you're in government (perish the thought), people are living longer and proportionately there are fewer young people. How do your bridge the deficit?

Quote from: lawnseed on December 06, 2013, 03:16:22 PM
What kinda work do you think you'll be fit for gabby when your 68 years old
68 really isn't that old these days. Most 68 year olds would be well fit for plenty of jobs.

This really was an inevitable move - the only mystery is why the pension age wasn't changed sooner. It might not be popular, but unless you have a better solution...

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 07, 2013, 11:32:45 AM

Ps im refering to the raising of the pension age to 68 for anyone now in their 40s or younger  ::)
So tell, me - you're in government (perish the thought), people are living longer and proportionately there are fewer young people. How do your bridge the deficit?

68 really isn't that old these days. Most 68 year olds would be well fit for plenty of jobs.

This really was an inevitable move - the only mystery is why the pension age wasn't changed sooner. It might not be popular, but unless you have a better solution...
Name one job a 68 year old could do.. 5 or 6 days a week

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 07, 2013, 03:19:44 PM

President of Ireland

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 07, 2013, 04:38:20 PM

President of Ireland
Ok so for example you think that 30 or so thousand eg joiners can become president. Wakey wakey people in thier forties need retrained now to get jobs how the fuks a guy like my father gonna do that the man can barely get up the stairs to bed. Notibly this idea comes only a couple of days before the government cry crocidile tears about getting an 11% payrise themselves

armaghniac

If people aim to work less, then they have to pay for it either by making more pension contributions themselves or more taxes while they are working. I don't see many people stepping up to do either. My aunt retired from the NI civil service when she was 60, (given the then odd idea that women who live longer should retire earlier) and drew her pension until she was 95.

But as Lawnseed said someone might do something different in their later years. This doesn't happen at present as you expect to have an increasing salary until you retire rather than a twilight role. In America, an older joiner might work as a janitor or work in a DIY superstore, this doesn't happen so much here and perhaps it has to.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2013, 06:00:22 PM
If people aim to work less, then they have to pay for it either by making more pension contributions themselves or more taxes while they are working. I don't see many people stepping up to do either. My aunt retired from the NI civil service when she was 60, (given the then odd idea that women who live longer should retire earlier) and drew her pension until she was 95.

But as Lawnseed said someone might do something different in their later years. This doesn't happen at present as you expect to have an increasing salary until you retire rather than a twilight role. In America, an older joiner might work as a janitor or work in a DIY superstore, this doesn't happen so much here and perhaps it has to.
Where are these people gonna get work? This govenment are simply kicking the can down the road. Maybe they'd like oldies to emmigrate! This is dumb. In agriculture they want older farmers to step aside to increase efficiency and on the otherhand they want to burden employers with people who for the most part are only punching in time and who by that stage will be at the top of their payscale.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 08, 2013, 05:05:38 PM

President of Ireland
Ok so for example you think that 30 or so thousand eg joiners can become president. Wakey wakey people in thier forties need retrained now to get jobs how the fuks a guy like my father gonna do that the man can barely get up the stairs to bed. Notibly this idea comes only a couple of days before the government cry crocidile tears about getting an 11% payrise themselves
You asked me to name one job - I did.

But there are several jobs someone could do when they're 68. If someone can be a secretary, solicitor, accountant, architect etc. when they're 65, then why not at 68?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 08, 2013, 08:55:20 PM

President of Ireland

But there are several jobs someone could do when they're 68. If someone can be a secretary, solicitor, accountant, architect etc. when they're 65, then why not at 68?
Ok we're talking about different people your thinking about folk sitting in an office. So lets turn our attention to eg truck drivers in order to keep their licence they must undergo rigorous medical examination most fail them by 60 either failing eyesight or heart problems due to their occupation how do you expect them to survive? Very few of them will live past 65 and you want them to spend the rest of thier lives being hounded by the dole on jobseekers men/women who never signed on in their lives and paid national insurance and tax for 40-50 years? 

lawnseed

D
Quote from: lawnseed on December 08, 2013, 07:03:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2013, 06:00:22 PM

Where are these people gonna get work? This govenment are simply kicking the can down the road. Maybe they'd like oldies to emmigrate! This is dumb. In agriculture they want older farmers to step aside to increase efficiency and on the otherhand they want to burden employers with people who for the most part are only punching in time and who by that stage will be at the top of their payscale.
Quoting myself now :P how many employers will sit back and saddle themselves with oldies on top dollar guys 65 years old. This is a recipe for more discrimination against workers in their fifties as employers will be looking at the remainder of that persons working usefullness.
This reminds me of something that was said to a man in his 40s who went looking for a job with a major roads contractor near armagh. He was looked up and down and told "we dont start old men we make them"

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 09, 2013, 09:01:52 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 08, 2013, 08:55:20 PM

President of Ireland

Ok we're talking about different people your thinking about folk sitting in an office. So lets turn our attention to eg truck drivers in order to keep their licence they must undergo rigorous medical examination most fail them by 60 either failing eyesight or heart problems due to their occupation how do you expect them to survive? Very few of them will live past 65 and you want them to spend the rest of thier lives being hounded by the dole on jobseekers men/women who never signed on in their lives and paid national insurance and tax for 40-50 years?
You're complaining about the pension age being raised to 68 and at the same time saying most of them don't live past 65? And if most fail their medical examination by 60, then they already need to do something for another five years already before they get a pension, no? Either way, that's all academic as I'm not convinced that, for example, a driver is on the scrap-heap by 60.

Anyway, there is a problem here with the pensions deficit - so far you're not offering any alternative solutions.

lawnseed

Theres always the lequint dickey mining company.. Things were much better before all this health and safety. the guys who were not solicitors bankers secretaries died off and left their pension contributions for the nice people who worked offices to enjoy

johnneycool

I think Pensions are going to be the next big financial scandal and we're all going to be ripped off in a big way.

Better buying a bit of land off Nama if you've a few squid about you.

lawnseed

Quote from: johnneycool on December 10, 2013, 01:21:02 PM
I think Pensions are going to be the next big financial scandal and we're all going to be ripped off in a big way.

They already are a rip off. But your 100% correct about land- sound investment.. They stopped making it a while ago..

mackers

Quote from: johnneycool on December 10, 2013, 01:21:02 PM

Go on.....tell me more. The vast majority of pensions have an annual management charge of 1% and with the new workplace pensions legislation coming in that will probably come down further with at least one provider coming in at an annual management charge of 0.3%. Explain how we're going to be "ripped off".  Where is the financial scandal going to come from?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.