Tyrone v Fermanagh

Started by tyroneman, April 10, 2007, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

O'Rourke more or less called Mellon a journeyman just before the '05 final. He then proceeded to eat vast amounts of humbe pie when Mellon played a stormer. He did the same slabbering with the hoover in '03 as well. I wonder who he'll slate this year. Anyway, I wanted to see Mellon in preference to Mulgrew (if he was in contention) prior to Sunday, but now I'm not so sure. He has the ability to do great things and score wonderful points, but he didn't do himself any favours yesterday. He scored a superb point, then missed a free out of his mits which had striking similarities to SON's miss down in Cork. Both bring me out in a cold sweat. The 2 players most at risk of being dropped would have to be McCullough and Mellon. If SON, Mugsy, & Enda are fit in 4 weeks, then Cav junior may also have to make way. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

The scathing criticism of Mellon's a bit harsh all right. He has blown hot and cold so far this year, even in the same game as in yesterday's, but he's a very capable footballer if get can get it together. Great long range point yesterday when it was extremely badly needed,  and woeful easy free miss -- if he can produce something more of the sublime, and something less of the ridiculous he'll be well worth his place.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I can understand those who have criticisms of Mellon as going by this season's performances he does seem to have gone backwards somewhat. However, I believe he's not the only one with a few bigger names bigger culprits. The next round will test all concerned.

If I could ask of one thing from Mickey Harte - SORT OUT THE DISCIPLINE. No more backchat. No more silly fouls. On one occasion, Jordan clearly lifted the ball off the ground, was rightly penalised, then proceeded to lose the plot, the ball was moved forward - point. What's the point Phillip? Is there a belief that the more you harass a referee the more he'll favour you later on? Perhaps, but we're leaking all over the field because of it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

The minors were very good yesterday - it looks like the Tyrone minors could go places this year - Kyle Coney was excellent and is very talented and it will be nice to see him doing it for the club in the next few weeks, months and years to come. I was very impressed with young Mc Kenna from Pomeroy - also Paul Martin Fintona had an excellent game - we have all these lads to look forward to.

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on May 21, 2007, 05:09:14 PM
I agree with you - Ardboe do lack scoring forwards - a lot like to come out and play around the middle - any ideas on the best inside forward line ? Who would you play middle ?

The best inside forward line in my opinion is Frank, Tommy and probably John Cummings. Kyle Coney has the potential to maybe play there but his attitude is questionable.
I would play Mickey Coleman in the middle alongside probably big John McConville although I would like to see Ronan Campbell possibly get another try and that would allow big John to push into the half forward line where he may get more freedom. In my opinion Mickey needs to be played in the middle in order to get the best out of him.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on May 21, 2007, 10:43:58 PM
The minors were very good yesterday - it looks like the Tyrone minors could go places this year - Kyle Coney was excellent and is very talented and it will be nice to see him doing it for the club in the next few weeks, months and years to come. I was very impressed with young Mc Kenna from Pomeroy - also Paul Martin Fintona had an excellent game - we have all these lads to look forward to.

Agree, great display on Sunday. Promising.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Quarterback

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on May 21, 2007, 09:03:47 PM
O'Rourke more or less called Mellon a journeyman just before the '05 final. He then proceeded to eat vast amounts of humbe pie when Mellon played a stormer. He did the same slabbering with the hoover in '03 as well. I wonder who he'll slate this year. Anyway, I wanted to see Mellon in preference to Mulgrew (if he was in contention) prior to Sunday, but now I'm not so sure. He has the ability to do great things and score wonderful points, but he didn't do himself any favours yesterday. He scored a superb point, then missed a free out of his mits which had striking similarities to SON's miss down in Cork. Both bring me out in a cold sweat. The 2 players most at risk of being dropped would have to be McCullough and Mellon. If SON, Mugsy, & Enda are fit in 4 weeks, then Cav junior may also have to make way. 

What has mellon done apart from kick 3 points in the all ireland final 05?? He rarely contributes..  If any other player had put in a preformance like he on sunday, for example some of the younger guys, theyd be pulled ashore..Simple as that..

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: ONeill on May 21, 2007, 10:35:49 PM
I can understand those who have criticisms of Mellon as going by this season's performances he does seem to have gone backwards somewhat. However, I believe he's not the only one with a few bigger names bigger culprits. The next round will test all concerned.

If I could ask of one thing from Mickey Harte - SORT OUT THE DISCIPLINE. No more backchat. No more silly fouls. On one occasion, Jordan clearly lifted the ball off the ground, was rightly penalised, then proceeded to lose the plot, the ball was moved forward - point. What's the point Phillip? Is there a belief that the more you harass a referee the more he'll favour you later on? Perhaps, but we're leaking all over the field because of it.
We were probably taken to a replay by Dublin in 2005 because of indiscipline. It doesn't do us any favours as far as I'm concerned.

orangeman

Senastional or what ? Arsehole or what ? Francie Mooney just seems to be losing the run of himself by making wild claims about Brian Mc Guigan being fit for the Ulster final ! This is gutter press - Brian can't even see out of his eye at the minute - everything is just a blur and how anybody would make this wild claim is just ridiculous - I know newspapers need headlines, but Francie Mooney should do us all a favour and stop writing this shite - its unfair to Brian first and foremost cos Brian knows what level of vision he has. He also fed the press about a riot between ourselves and Dromore a few weeks ago - this man obviously has a grudge so he should wise up and start reporting on Edendork a bit more and how Liam Nelis can get them off each time the referee abandons the match - remember Moy v Edendork - Eglish v Edendork ?

Fuzzman

Of course we're all biased but there does seem to be a lot of poor referees out there who's decisions must be very frustrating to players.
Especially as we continue to do the swarm thing around a player and TRY to not foul him and so then when the ref gives the free at least 3 or 4 of them start whinging at the Ref.

I noticed Fermangh and actually a few other teams exploit this now by taking a very quick free. Noticed Block several times Hop uf after winning a free as if he was gonna deck someone but actually take a very quick free as men were outta postion.

I'd nearly be happier to see us stop this swarming tactic and at most have 2 men around a player.
Teams have become wise to it and so usually one or two forwards sit back and wait for the ball to come out to them where they have acres of space to shoot.

Come On Mickey Get the team to stop whinging and either get Ricey to wise up or leave him out.
I agree he can be the best man marker in the country but not on recent performances.

ONeill

QuoteI'd nearly be happier to see us stop this swarming tactic and at most have 2 men around a player.
Teams have become wise to it and so usually one or two forwards sit back and wait for the ball to come out to them where they have acres of space to shoot.

Noticed this a lot on Sunday as well as last year. Teams now almost invite Tyrone to swarm one player and at the last minute release the ball over their heads to 2-3 free men.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Where did the Mc Guigan story come from then ?

ExiledGael

This story is coming from Francie Mooney, his stuff is sent straight to papers and TV companies up and down the country, and he's been doing it for years.
It appears identical in a number of instances, but what source he is using I don't know

orangeman

This Mooney man should be shunned - he is a gutter journalist who puts his head down when he meets you  - obviously guilty on all counts - it's a shame that he gets PAID for writing this shite - it's time he was made redundant -  let him go and report dung from some other county - Gutter journalism -

never kickt a ball

Ulster Senior Football Championship - Quarter Final

"Tyrone edge into semi final"

Tyrone 0-13 Fermanagh 1-9
This may not have been a vintage performance from Tyrone but at the end of the day it was the result that mattered most as they overcame Fermanagh by the minimum margin in front of twelve thousand supporters at St.Tiernachs Park Clones on Sunday.
The Erne lads got off to the best possible start with an early goal but by halftime Tyrone had turned things around to get their noses in front. In the second half it was score for score and it took a superb late free from substitute Gerald Cavlan to send Mickey Harte's men through to a semi final clash with either Armagh or Donegal. Tyrone laboured to put their opponents away but at the end of the day they managed to just crawl over the finishing line and that's all that mattered. Cormac McGinley, Dermott Carlin and Conor Gormley all stood out in defence, Sean Cavanagh played well in midfield while up front championship debutants Tommy McGuigan and Niall Gormley contributed handsomely to this victory on the scoreboard with Gerald Cavlan a hugely influential figure when sprung from the bench.
Tyrone couldn't have wished for a better start as Kevin Hughes won possession and played the ball into Colm Cavanagh who offloaded for Tommy McGuigan to open the scoring after only fifteen seconds. Sean Cavanagh was then off target from a scoreable free before Fermanagh struck for an outstanding goal in the fourth minute. Shane Lyons started the move off and it involved Tom Brewster and Martin McGrath before the latter laid the ball of for midfielder Mark Murphy to smash an unstoppable shot high into the top left hand corner of the Tyrone net giving keeper John Devine no chance. Sean Cavanagh dropped a long range free short into the arms of keeper Christopher Breen before Tommy McGuigan and Colm Bradley exchanged wides.
In the ninth minute Conor Gormley burst out of defence and played the ball to Tommy McGuigan who exchanged passes with Colm Cavanagh before striking a superb score from out on the right wing. Niall Gormley hit a Tyrone wide before Fermanagh went two clear once more when Ciaran O'Reilly converted a "45" after John Devine had made a great save to deny Martin McGrath's first time shot. The dangerous Mark Little then played a 1-2 with Ciaran O'Reilly before dissecting the posts as Fermanagh held a three point advantage after a quarter of an hour. Both sides then missed chances before a twelve minute barren spell was brought to an end when Ryan Mellon curled in a good score from distance. In the 28th minute midfielder Sean Cavanagh got in on the act with a good score from distance before Tyrone were dealt a blow when Colm Cavanagh had to be stretchered of, Gerald Cavlan entering the fray as his replacement.
Ryan Mellon was off target from a close range free before Tommy McGuigan levelled matters after good work from Ryan Mellon, the Moy man showing great strength to hold off a robust challenge down the left wing. Three minutes into injury time a great ball from Gerald Cavlan picked out Sean Cavanagh who burst through on goal before offloading to Niall Gormley who palmed it over the bar when a goal was there for the taking. Eamon Maguire and Ciaran O'Reilly had Fermanagh wides as had Niall Gormley for Tyrone as the halftime whistle blew with the Red Hands just in front at 0-6 to 1-2.
The second half was only three minutes old when Ciaran O'Reilly tapped over a thirty metre free of the ground for a welcome score for Charlie Mulgrew's men, their first since the 14th minute of the contest. Tom Brewster and Kevin Hughes exchanged wides before Fermanagh regained the lead through midfielder Mark Murphy, the move beginning with a superb block by Barry Owens on Gerald Cavlan. In the tenth minute Tyrone levelled matters through Kevin Hughes after a sweeping move involving Davy Harte, Colm McCullagh and Gerald Cavlan and a minute later they were in front when good approach play from Cavlan and Cavanagh resulted in Harte splitting the posts. Barry Owens tried to rally his side with a surging run through the middle but he was well met by Conor Gormley although Colm Bradley won a handy free from the breaking ball, Ciaran O'Reilly making no mistake from twenty metres out.
Gerald Cavlan then knocked over a free from the left wing after he had been fouled himself and that was the start of a good spell for Tyrone. Tommy McGuigan, Colm McCullagh, Sean Cavanagh and Gerald Cavlan combined for Niall Gormley to hit a superb score from an acute angle and sixty seconds later he repeated the dose from an almost identical position after being picked out by a quick free from Cavlan. Tommy McGuigan had a Tyrone wide before Fermanagh reduced the deficit in the 24th minute when Ciaran O'Reilly converted well from a forty three metre free off the ground. Mark Murphy hit a poor wide before Fermanagh cut the gap to the minimum when Tom Brewster sent over a thirteen metre free after Eamon Maguire had been fouled. Good work from Conor Gormley saw him set up a Tyrone attack as he won a free, Gerald Cavlan narrowly wide with the outside of the boot from the resulting kick.

With six minutes of normal time left to play Fermanagh drew level through another Ciaran O'Reilly placed ball to set up a grandstand finish. Brian Dooher won possession from the next kick out to launch a Tyrone attack but Davy Harte was penalised for taking too many steps before Niall Gormley was robbed by Niall Bogue in another raid as Fermanagh were giving little away. In the 32nd minute Shane Goan was penalised for holding Owen Mulligan off the ball and Niall Gormley swept the thirteen metre free over the bar. Enda McGinley was off target from a good position and Fermanagh made Tyrone pay almost immediately when Tom Brewster converted a twenty five metre free, a poor decision by the referee as Mark Little had clearly dived to win it. A replay was looking likely the outcome but Tyrone had other ideas. Sean Cavanagh won the next kick out and began a move that saw Niall Gormley fouled. The free from just inside the "45" metre line on the right hand side was entrusted to Gerald Cavlan and he made no mistake with a sublime effort with the outside of the boot to send Tyrone through to the Ulster semi final.

Tyrone - John Devine, Ryan McMenamin, Cormac McGinley, Dermot Carlin, Davy Harte, Conor Gormley, Philip Jordan, Kevin Hughes, Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher,  Tommy McGuigan, Ryan Mellon, Niall Gormley, Colm Cavanagh, Colm McCullagh. Subs – Owen Mulligan for Colm McCullagh, Damian McCaul for Ryan McMenamin, Gerald Cavlan for Colm Cavanagh, Enda McGinley for Ryan Mellon

Fermanagh
- Christopher Breen, Shane Goan, Barry Owens, Niall Bogue, Shane Lyons, Shane McDermott, Thomas McElroy, Martin McGrath, Mark Murphy, Mark Little, Tom Brewster, Eamon Maguire, Ciaran McElroy, Ciaran O'Reilly, Colm Bradley.  Subs – Shaun Doherty for Colm Bradley, Raymond Johnston for Shane Lyons [Blood]

Tyrone scorers – Niall Gormley 0-4, Tommy McGuigan 0-3, Gerald Cavlan 0-2, Davy Harte 0-1, Kevin Hughes 0-1, Sean Cavanagh 0-1, Ryan Mellon 0-1
Fermanagh scorers – Ciaran O'Reilly 0-5, Mark Murphy 1-1, Tom Brewster 0-2, Mark Little 0-1
Referee - Martin Duffy Sligo
http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=376