Tyrone v Fermanagh

Started by tyroneman, April 10, 2007, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: uptyrone on May 21, 2007, 02:20:37 PM
I think The Iceman was referring to the incident before Colm Cavanagh got injured. Cavanagh done a late tackle on Owens after McGuigan had already fouled Owens, Owens then got up acting the hard man and stood face to face with Cavanagh, then Cavanagh just simply walked away from the incident. From what I seen Cavanagh didnt go down holding his face, he just brought his head back in case anything did happen.

I know Tyrone have had there fair share of players feigning injury, but every county is the same i.e in yesterdays game the Fermanagh keeper kept going down with a sore leg after Tyrone were hitting a few scores in a row, and im fed up listening to Tyrone getting getting slagged for something which they didn't do. I suppose we will have to wait to next week to see a clean game with no dirty tackles and no feigning injury from Donegal and Armagh  ;D

come on he didn't put his head back to avoid getting hit - hold the hands up and tell it like it is - he feigned injury and everyone there knows it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

tyroneboi

Quote from: The Iceman on May 21, 2007, 02:23:15 PM

come on he didn't put his head back to avoid getting hit - hold the hands up and tell it like it is - he feigned injury and everyone there knows it

Are you shitzroy in disguise? Now do us all a favour and piss off!!

Quarterback

Sundays visit to clones just wasnt the same as the years past for me.  The usual excitement in the car going up to the game, the anticipation of what canavan was going to do on the day....it all has gone.  Im not sure if its like this in kerry but as the man says the first time is always the best!!  Still as a seasoned supporter we must battle on.  

The game itself was a dire affair with barley a whimper of excitement in the crowd during the game.  4 years ago clones would near have been packed but instead the ulster council ripped us off with £17 a head and an attendance of merly 13000.

It would appear at this stage neither team will feature come septemper but from a tyrone point off view we need forwards that can take a man on and score.  My honest opinion is that attack is the best form off defence and in that ill give my ratings accordinly

Devine - Solid, and got a hand to the ball for the goal, Kicouts drift very high and perhaps a lower trajectory would help midfielders catch ball.

Ricey - No longer happy doing a good defensive job, wants to be in the thick of things and is continually losing concentrating.

Mc Ginley - Solid although could be found out later int he year

Carlin - Solid, Sound Equally able to defend or attact.

Davy - Usual sound and secure

Gormley - Rock Solid, What a player.  The best defender in Ireland at present

Jordan - Sound although will have to improve as a toye or a cavanagh or mc conville will expose inhability to defend.

Hub - Solid, Battled Wel

Cavanagh - Machine the heartbeat, we would be very very ordinary team without him

Mellon - Continues to contribute nothing, offeres nothing and should be replaced by a fit mulgrew

Tommy - Excellent Debut, wanted the ball and kicked some fine points

Dooher - Youst to be a big fan but from wat i seen he aint the player he was, still tackles and tackles but why dont we concentrate on a halfforward that wants to score more than defend...

MC Cullagh - Offers Nothing, has got more chances not and has failed to deliver, great on his day but unfortunately theyve been few and far between.  

Col Cav - Still Unconvinced, although time is on his side.

Gormley - Showed that his confidence never dropped by continually shooting, sharp but wont get the room or chances against donegal / armagh

So what do we need to muster a spark...In My opinion we need a fit mulligan, mulgrew, oneill and cavlan.  Let dooher play at 6 and move gormely to 3 to secure our defence....add a forward to our team that wants to score score score....Heres my team for Donegal / Armagh

Curran - Better Kick that devine young and hungry.

Ricey
Gormley - Solid
Carlin

Davy
Dooher - Let him concentrate solely on defence and if need be energy to attack
Jordan

Sean
Hub

Cavlan
Tommy
Mulgrew

Mulligan
O Neill
Mc Ginley - Bring out and let him work for break ball.

I think if tyrone put this team on the field were goin places

neutral

Quarterback  Im inclined to agree with you on bringing an innovative approach to picking the Tyrone team. Id love to see the Hoover on in the half back line, although Conor is currently the best in Ireland at 6.  Id love to see 6 forwards on who are forwards.  i honestly think we could do it better that way thaan any other team.   Play an out and out attacking game and we can do it.     

loughshore lad

Quote from: Quarterback on May 21, 2007, 03:04:01 PM

Curran - Better Kick that devine young and hungry.

Ricey
Gormley - Solid
Carlin

Davy
Dooher - Let him concentrate solely on defence and if need be energy to attack
Jordan

Sean
Hub

Cavlan
Tommy
Mulgrew

Mulligan
O Neill
Mc Ginley - Bring out and let him work for break ball.

I think if tyrone put this team on the field were goin places

Quarterback this is an interesting selection. In my opinion Gormley is currently the best chb in the business but as you point out needs must and he would be more than capable of filling in at fb.  Just wouldnt be coonvinced of Doohers defensive ability for chb but then again you just never know.

tyroneboi

loughshore lad would tommy mcguigan be a good midfielder at intercounty level? would love to have seen him given a go there during the league.

orangeman

A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN ! Tyrone can't get any worse than yesterday - Tyrone won with about 4 people playing well - so if they can get their act together and play forwards who are forwards ( seems silly but true ) then they could still be a force to be reckoned with - All Ireland final ? NO CHANCE !!! They'll do well to make quarter finals - my opinion - the loss of O'Neill and Mc Guigan is too great and Mc Guigan in particular CAN'T BE REPLACED -

loughshore lad

Quote from: tyroneboi on May 21, 2007, 03:22:06 PM
loughshore lad would tommy mcguigan be a good midfielder at intercounty level? would love to have seen him given a go there during the league.
He would be capable of playing in midfield - he has all the attributes needed pace, power, good fitness levels. If he was to play there he would need a hub type figure beside him to do the donkey work. I dont think a midfield of Tommy and Cavanagh would work as they are too similar.
He has played mostly in the forwards for Ardboe over the last few seasons but that say more about his versatility and Ardboes lack of quality inside forwards than Tommys ability to play midfield.
what do you think orangeman??

Star Spangler

And don't forget there's still Collie Holmes and Ciaran Gourley - both well capable of doing a job in defence.

orangeman

I agree with you - Ardboe do lack scoring forwards - a lot like to come out and play around the middle - any ideas on the best inside forward line ? Who would you play middle ?

sam03/05

to be fair Colm Cavanagh did not make a meal of that incident. He simply walked away. That is complete sh*%about feigning injury.
I still think if we have this forward line available in the next round we will beat Donegal or Armagh

Dooher  T McGuigan Cavlan

McGinley  Mulligan O Neill

Mulgrew, N Gormley, Mellon, McCullagh, Rouse, C Cavanagh all waiting on the bench                     

Tyrone Dreamer

Were was Tyrone's great support yesterday? The turnout was terrible and just goes to show how many glory hunters there are in Tyrone. Back in September 2005   everywere you went there were supporters telling stories of how they wouldnt miss a match and how disgraceful it was they couldnt get a ticket. The GAA was constantly being attacked in every newspaper from Tyrone supporters about how the allocation of tickets was to low and the old grab all association was being thrown out(the prices are getting to high though). Yesterday proved just how good the majority of Tyrone supporters are just as the Monaghan game did in 05' Some people Im sure had genuine reasons for not going and others couldnt be bothered which is up to them. Ive no problems with them not going but my problem is that when things go well these people will be the one's doing the most criticsing of the gaa about them not getting tickets. I wonder was the family there yesterday who were in the Star everyday in the run up to the 05' final about there baby not being able to get a ticket. I see a few people have said Clones isnt the same any more based on yesterday. I think the atmosphere will be back to its very best for the next match which should bring a capacity attendance and wonderful atmosphere. Think yesterday was all about winning but some form must be found pretty soon. Although Gormley scored 3 from play I felt our full forward line wasnt up to scratch yesterday but hopefully will be improved for the semi which could make or break Tyrones season. Mickey should consider bringing Colm Cavanagh to half forward in place of Mellon. Cant wait for the semi already but Tyrone will probably be underdogs for the 1st time since the 05' final.

ExiledGael

Well here's what I made of it from a Fermanagh point of view!

Chris Breen: Hadn't much to do, thought he done well with kick-outs and so what if he used a tactic of slowing the game down, we need a few more to be cute like that if we're to live with the big guns

Niall Bogue: Very good performance, stuck to his task quietly kept McCullagh out of it (don't know how hard that was) and did well on Mulligan. Unbelievable decision by ref to give 21 yard free against him when Mulligan was holding his arm and he just wasn't up for a 50-50 battle for possession

Shane McDermott: Very impressive at full-back, great strength and determination makes up for rawness, did well to get a hand to deliveries into Colm Cavanagh on a number of occasions

Shane Goan: Seemed to cruise through the match though if Gormley had of found his range earlier he could have took six or seven points of him, think Harte should stick with Gormley. Mulgrew did well to switch Bogue and Goan after two great points

Shane Lyons: Major plus point for us. A strong defender who is a good distributor, held his own well and was always an option when coming out of defence, Ricey should have gone for hitting him

Barry Owens: Didn't appear positionally aware for the opening period in the new position and McGuigan prospered. But he's a class act and came into the game, driving forward impressively a number of times. He's our best player so it's understandable Mulgrew wants him out where he can exert more influence on a game

Tommy McElroy: Another decent showing in a good defensive performance overall. Harried Dooher, who I was not impressed with, quite well, made one terrific block which led to a score at the other end.

Mark Murphy: Our top midfielder now, Great hands and fitness levels as he always seems to appear as an onrushing option to forwards. Goal of the year I'd say. Lost out overall though to Sean Cavanagh who was my MOTM, just a class act, if he wasn't there we would have won, I'm convinced of that!

Tom Brewster: Good distribution as always, but lacked a real influence on the game. Peripheral but would thrive if he had a real ball-winning star forward to aim at. reliable from frees, as seen under pressure with minute to go

Eamon Maguire: Typifies everything about us, quick to show for the ball, looks dangerous, could roast almost anyone but doesn't get scores on the board, he's our link between defence and attack, always the first forward running.

Ciaran McElroy: Drifted deep and picked up some usefull breaking bal, but will be remembered for that late foul, stupid! never got into decent attacking positions, can't recall him having a shot!

Mark Little: Almost identical to Eamon, great skill, needs to believe in himself more and hold the ball when he gets to it, scored a cracking point early on. Needs to hunt possession, hold onto it and run at people, guaranteed numerous frees

Colm Bradley: Looked keen at times but when in possession hadn't the pace or ability to go past players. Not the force of old and won't retain his place.

Marty McGrath: Did well at the start with decent ball coming in, I though he was going to have a field day for a while. He's not the force of old either and couldn't impose himself at midfield at all, needs to improve

Ciaran O'Reilly: Good from frees, with one or two exceptions. Worth his place but needs an injection of belief, he made a great run up the right at one stage throwing a few dummies but got confused when near goal and no score taken. he's good enough but needs a leader in the forwards to bring the best out in him

Management did well with few positional switches, but at the end of the day class told and we couldn't step up. No excuses, need leaders and strength in the forward line. One good result and we could be a dangerous side in the back door though
We're frustrating to support, but we're no pushovers come summer

ONeill

I'll never understand those who berate Mellon. Tyrone's team is always better and more secure for his inclusion. Yesterday when Fermanagh rattled off two points to go 3 ahead the game went into a lull for over 10 mins when the tie was showing alarming similarities to the Derry debacle of 12 months ago. Tyrone forwards were bottled up and the half backs were soloing into trouble. Another Fermanagh score and we were in serious trouble. When all else resembled Moy Park's decapitated chickens it was the hamlet's own Mellon who delivered a real quality long range effort and Tyrone never looked back after that. Mellon has the capacity to do that - score when we're seriously under the cosh, especially in bigger games. I grant that he does miss some sitters but he has the balls to keep trying.

Slightly worried about Dooher. A couple of matches will tell the tale. Lost patience with McCullagh. So much potential, rarely delivers. Would almost rather have Penrose (when fit) ahead of him.

Good news on the way about Brian McGuigan I hear.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

From BBC website - excellent news

McGuigan could make Ulster final 

Brian McGuigan may feature in the Ulster SFC decider 
Tyrone have received a boost with the news that playmaker Brian McGuigan could be back in action much sooner than anticipated.
The Ardboe forawrd was expected to miss the entire Ulster SFC before undergoing surgery last Friday for an eye injury suffered in a club game.

Following the successful operation it is now hoped that he will be back playing in six to eight weeks.

That means McGuigan could play in the final on 15 July - if Tyrone make it.

He had been playing for Ardboe reserves, in a bid to accelerate his rehabilitation from a broken leg sustained more than a year ago, when he picked up the eye injury.

The double All-Ireland winner and former Allstar had already suffered a setback in his recovery from the injury, and had to have an operation to rectify a related ankle problem.

McGuigan has not played for Tyrone since the 2005 All-Ireland final, in which he starred in the victory over Kerry.

Tyrone's injury crisis is showing further signs of easing, with Stephen O'Neill expecting to be fit for the semi-final after missing Sunday's win over Fermanagh with a hamstring injury.

Gerard Cavlan, Owen Mulligan and Enda McGinley, all unable to start due to injury, were introduced as substitutes and came through without any problems.

McGuigan's return could give manager Mickey Harte welcome selection problems.

His younger brother Tommy was handed the famous number 11 jersey for the clash with Fermanagh and he made a sensational debut, scoring three superb points from play.