Best Martial Art for the Self Defence

Started by OakleafCounty, November 29, 2013, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakleafCounty

I'm about to hit the big 30, a father who's never done a combat sport in my life unless you include club football. But now that I'm officially the man of a house I'm essentially the first line of defence and feel a bit inadequate if I was ever required to fight. 

The question I ask is which martial art is best used in the street. As an observer I would say boxing maybe followed by karate or kickboxing. What do others think though? Would judo or MMA be more useful?

I'm talking basics here. Obviously a black belt in anyting will be able to handle themselves.

outinfront

I'd say whatever you choose make sure you are actually punching, kicking or grappling in the training sessions.  It's all good being able to learn the theory and movements, etc but functionally better if you are fit enough to have a tussle and punch/run away.

AZOffaly

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 29, 2013, 02:20:54 PM
I'm about to hit the big 30, a father who's never done a combat sport in my life unless you include club football. But now that I'm officially the man of a house I'm essentially the first line of defence and feel a bit inadequate if I was ever required to fight. 

The question I ask is which martial art is best used in the street. As an observer I would say boxing maybe followed by karate or kickboxing. What do others think though? Would judo or MMA be more useful?

I'm talking basics here. Obviously a black belt in anyting will be able to handle themselves.

Take up hurling. A 35'' ash pant in the broad of a lads back solves a lot of problems.

Zulu

He's looking for advice on how to defend his family in the event they were being attacked not how to attack innocent lads from behind ya biffo thug!!!

The Iceman

30 is a bit late to be starting anything in fairness but if you stick at it you can attain a decent level in any martial art. My advice to help you stick at something is to bring the kids along. Have them learn too.
Most fights end up on the ground so I would focus on a grappling based martial art like Judo or Sambo or Jiu Jitsu. You will learn striking but you're not out to wreck somebody  - your goal should be to neutralize an attack and get out of there. There are lots of great clubs all over County Derry. PM me where you are and I can recommend a place or trainer if you want.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Wildweasel74

to hell with a black belt, just keep  a hurling stick at home, apparently its a great equalizer lol

stephenite

What exactly are you expecting to happen?

lawnseed

ffs get a shotgun..  ;)

actually there is a ancient form of fighting seen in any parish in south Armagh.. called 'sneaky cowardly fukr'

this is where your mate starts the row and you sneak up behind the opponent and hit him from behind I've seen this form of fighting all over Ireland but the guys round cross are the masters.. ::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

http://www.sonos.com

Fill every corner of the house with the above speakers.

Have a device (2nd hand iPod will do) set for emergencies.

Two settings:

1. Stun (every speaker in the house at 75% volume playing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)
2. Kill (every speaker 100% volume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jJENKW1nI)

If he doesn't leg it straight away, your neighbours will be in pretty quick to sort it out.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.