European City break

Started by Bingo, November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on January 10, 2014, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2014, 10:04:14 AM
Going to Krawkow with the Mrs next week. . . we're planning to do Aushwitz and that's it really has anyone any advice for me?

I realise it's going to be balls cold but sure it's something different and I've heard good things about the place.

All advice welcome!

Auschwitz is interesting and worth a visit but ultimately depressing. If you can only make one away trip from the city go to Wielieczka salt mine - absolutely amazing.

We did both in one trip and had a taxi transfer for it - really good day trip.  Auschwitz is absolutely enthralling (and Birkenau perhaps even more so) so I wouldn't pick the salt mines over it despite it leaving you feeling really down!

ExiledGael

Thanks for all the advice, will try to book into that hotel 5 Sams and the bike tour sounds ideal for a short break.
Hard to trust and recommendations and reviews on trip advisor.

5 Sams

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 10, 2014, 03:19:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice, will try to book into that hotel 5 Sams and the bike tour sounds ideal for a short break.

The boat trip on the Spree is quite interesting as well. Great city, loads to see. If you're into museums you will be spoilt and if you're into beer you will be in heaven.
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

QuoteStayed in the Park Inn which is great location wise. Handy for the public transport and quite central.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187323-d230550-Reviews-Park_Inn_by_Radisson_Berlin_Alexanderplatz-Berlin.html

I also stayed in Park Inn some years ago. Very central, once one of the main hotels in the DDR, not much to look at but if you are in it you can get a good view. The train from the airport will leave you at the S-bahn station across the square.

QuoteThanks for all the advice, will try to book into that hotel 5 Sams and the bike tour sounds ideal for a short break.

So you'd trust one Down man more than 3000+ people on Tripadvisor!  ::)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gold

Local bars/ clubs in Krakow are the best.

Serious talent in there. Fond of westerners. So I hear

Gold and Pussycat clubs are interesting too. So I hear.

Great architecture in the city too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 09, 2014, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on January 09, 2014, 09:55:47 PM
Some great advice in here, but have chosen Berlin as city break destination in early April and was looking for more specific tips.
There seems to be thousands of hotels, anyone recommend any in particular in Berlin? Value and location probably key.

I was there a few months ago for the first time myself, staying just around the corner from 'Checkpoint Charlie' (Mercure Hotel & Residenz Checkpoint Charlie), which was fine, no issues at all with it. If I were going again, however, I'd be inclined to descend the Tripadvisor rankings from most popular to least -- the Mercure was number 23, and you might get something a little further up for equal or better value.

Stayed there last April in a family room, thought it was great value and in a good location. The room, actually two bedrooms was massive.

ExiledGael

Quote from: armaghniac on January 10, 2014, 03:45:14 PM

The problem with the 3000 - apart from the fact there are 300 of them to read - in Tripadvisor is that they all say very different things and contradict each other wildly.
You have no idea who is writing them or what agenda they have, so yes I don't really trust it/them. If that's ok.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gold on January 10, 2014, 05:00:08 PM

Will be too distracted see any architecture. So I hear.

laoislad

Quote from: Gold on January 10, 2014, 05:00:08 PM

Bit like Prague.
Gold fingers is the place to go there...so I hear.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on January 10, 2014, 10:43:33 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2014, 10:04:14 AM
Going to Krawkow with the Mrs next week. . . we're planning to do Aushwitz and that's it really has anyone any advice for me?

I realise it's going to be balls cold but sure it's something different and I've heard good things about the place.

All advice welcome!

Three most common recommendations for Krakow are Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Schindler's factory.

The time I went I went "full Irish" and did none of them, spending my time in bed or in the pub, much to my shame and regret.
Not the first or the last!

gallsman

Going to Barcelona for a stag at the end of April from a Friday to Sunday and looking for potential activities to do on the Saturday, e.g. go karting, paintball etc. Maybe even Port Aventura. Anyone any recommendations?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 10, 2014, 08:16:06 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 10, 2014, 03:45:14 PM

The problem with the 3000 - apart from the fact there are 300 of them to read - in Tripadvisor is that they all say very different things and contradict each other wildly.
You have no idea who is writing them or what agenda they have, so yes I don't really trust it/them. If that's ok.

Aye tripadvisor is pants, a load of dicks writing a post about their life.............. ;) I'll get my coat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on January 11, 2014, 04:27:09 PM
Going to Barcelona for a stag at the end of April from a Friday to Sunday and looking for potential activities to do on the Saturday, e.g. go karting, paintball etc. Maybe even Port Aventura. Anyone any recommendations?
Why on earth would you want to do that on a stag do in BARCELONA?! If you want something to do to keep people off the beer during the day then do some tourist activities of which there will be plenty. Go out to Camp Nou unless you have all been before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 11, 2014, 05:16:16 PM
Why on earth would you want to do that on a stag do in BARCELONA?! If you want something to do to keep people off the beer during the day then do some tourist activities of which there will be plenty. Go out to Camp Nou unless you have all been before.

Aye we've a stag in Torremolinos over the bank holiday May weekend, all inclusive ffs!! The activities include eating and drinking the bar dry, 3 nights of madness. Haven't said to wife yet lol as we will only be back a week from Tenerife
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2014, 05:36:06 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 11, 2014, 05:16:16 PM

Aye we've a stag in Torremolinos over the bank holiday May weekend, all inclusive ffs!! The activities include eating and drinking the bar dry, 3 nights of madness. Haven't said to wife yet lol as we will only be back a week from Tenerife
:'( C'mon Milltown, you're too old for that craic! You'll be needin an air ambulance home fs!