European City break

Started by Bingo, November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Have any of you been to Florence and if so whats it like...was thinking of going there in March for a few days
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

CD

Quote from: The Trap on November 21, 2013, 11:40:05 AM
Hi Guys, I am going to Paris in December for 4 nights. Can anyone give me advice on the following please:
1. Best way to get from Charles DE Gaulle to city centre hotel?
2. Going to Eurodisney for 1 day. What is best way to do this??
3. Any restaurants to recommend?
4. Was thinking of doing the on/off bus tour. Is this a good idea?
5. Any other tips or advice?

Thanks
1. Train directly into Gare du Nord - most straightforward and cheapest way.  Get a taxi at Gare du Nord or jump on the Metro to the stop nearest to your hotel.  Have done it a few times.
2. Best way is to go by train to the train station just beside Eurodisney, Marne la Vallee. Go from Gare du Lyon or Nation stations in Paris city centre.  It is just at the gate to Eurodisney so no long walks required.
3. Steak restaurant chain Le Relais is good - you don't get any choice though!  Just amazing steaks.  What area are you staying in - I have been to a few others but they're fairly spread out. 
4. The tour is good, yes, there are plenty of companies that offer them.  We got on at Notre Dame.  It coves the main sights and the one I took had audio through headphones rather than a live tour guide. 
5. Don't leave out exploring the square to the side of Sacre Coeur with all the artists.  Monmartre itself is a bit dirty at the bottom of the hill but the buzz around the square up the hill is one of my favourite things about Paris. 

Thanks Rois
The hotel we are staying in is near the Arc De Triomphe. There is a Le Relais nearby so i will try that thanks. Do we need to book train tickets for the airport to city before we go or are they easily bought when we get there? Have you or anyone got any ideas on a special place to bring the wife (apart from shops!!!!!!!)???
Thanks again

Train is really handy - taxi would cost about 45 - 50 euro. Drivers expect a tip as well.
If you're into arts - make sure you go to the Louvre - wear comfortable shoes! I could spend 3 days in it alone! Could be a good bet in Dec as it'll be pretty cold!
Buses are great - you can buy 1/2/3 day tickets which allow you to jump on and off - will greatly reduce the amount of walking.
Montmartre and Moulin Rouge at night is brilliant for a bit of people watching and a glass of wine! All sorts of people come out of the woodwork! 
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

AZOffaly

Favourite Cities for a short break for me would be

1 - Rome
2 - Barcelona
3 - London
4 - Paris

The Paris thing, the Tower, The Louvre, The Red Wine at the cafe on the corner, pain au chocolat etc is all lovely, but there is a seedy side to that city that I never warmed to. Rome is way ahead of Paris to me. One of the nicest evenings I ever spent was eating a Calzone with my wife, in an open air restaurant, drinking red wine and watching the artists and street performers in Piazza Navona. I loved Rome.

seafoid

Quote from: illdecide on November 21, 2013, 02:42:54 PM
Have any of you been to Florence and if so whats it like...was thinking of going there in March for a few days
I really like it. Siena is worth a day trip too . Amazing place.

armaghniac

QuoteHave any of you been to Florence and if so whats it like..

Its full of oul buildings, some with oul paintings in them and statues of naked men, if you like that sort of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ExiledGael

Some great advice in here, but have chosen Berlin as city break destination in early April and was looking for more specific tips.
There seems to be thousands of hotels, anyone recommend any in particular in Berlin? Value and location probably key.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 09, 2014, 09:55:47 PM
Some great advice in here, but have chosen Berlin as city break destination in early April and was looking for more specific tips.
There seems to be thousands of hotels, anyone recommend any in particular in Berlin? Value and location probably key.

I was there a few months ago for the first time myself, staying just around the corner from 'Checkpoint Charlie' (Mercure Hotel & Residenz Checkpoint Charlie), which was fine, no issues at all with it. If I were going again, however, I'd be inclined to descend the Tripadvisor rankings from most popular to least -- the Mercure was number 23, and you might get something a little further up for equal or better value.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2013, 03:32:21 PM
Favourite Cities for a short break for me would be

1 - Rome
2 - Barcelona
3 - London
4 - Paris

The Paris thing, the Tower, The Louvre, The Red Wine at the cafe on the corner, pain au chocolat etc is all lovely, but there is a seedy side to that city that I never warmed to. Rome is way ahead of Paris to me. One of the nicest evenings I ever spent was eating a Calzone with my wife, in an open air restaurant, drinking red wine and watching the artists and street performers in Piazza Navona. I loved Rome.

Rome is brilliant. Been there 4 times. And I'm not even religious.

5 Sams

Stayed here a few years ago. Got a good deal. Great location. Walking distance to Tiergarten and the Brandenburg Gate. Lovely walk to Unter den Linden and the main attractions in Berlin. Highly recommended.

http://www.hotel-berlin.de/
The Aristocrat Years

laceer

Was there in March last year. Brilliant spot.
I'd advise taking a bike tour of the city with this crowd: http://fattirebiketours.com/berlin
It'll take you round all the must see spots and if you do it on your first day it'll give you your bearings for getting round the city for the rest of your trip.
Goes at a really leisurely pace, is good craic plus the guide tells you the history of the different areas of the city that you'd never get going round on your own.
Costs about 25 euro a head but was one of the highlights of our trip.
Enjoy

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: laceer on January 10, 2014, 09:10:22 AM

Was there in March last year. Brilliant spot.
I'd advise taking a bike tour of the city with this crowd: http://fattirebiketours.com/berlin
It'll take you round all the must see spots and if you do it on your first day it'll give you your bearings for getting round the city for the rest of your trip.
Goes at a really leisurely pace, is good craic plus the guide tells you the history of the different areas of the city that you'd never get going round on your own.
Costs about 25 euro a head but was one of the highlights of our trip.
Enjoy

Did this too and really enjoyed it.

blewuporstuffed

We did the fat tire bike tour as well and would definitely  recommend it.
Stayed in the Park Inn which is great location wise. Handy for the public transport and quite central.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187323-d230550-Reviews-Park_Inn_by_Radisson_Berlin_Alexanderplatz-Berlin.html
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Going to Krawkow with the Mrs next week. . . we're planning to do Aushwitz and that's it really has anyone any advice for me?

I realise it's going to be balls cold but sure it's something different and I've heard good things about the place.

All advice welcome!

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2014, 10:04:14 AM
Going to Krawkow with the Mrs next week. . . we're planning to do Aushwitz and that's it really has anyone any advice for me?

I realise it's going to be balls cold but sure it's something different and I've heard good things about the place.

All advice welcome!

Auschwitz is interesting and worth a visit but ultimately depressing. If you can only make one away trip from the city go to Wielieczka salt mine - absolutely amazing.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2014, 10:04:14 AM

All advice welcome!

Three most common recommendations for Krakow are Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Schindler's factory.

The time I went I went "full Irish" and did none of them, spending my time in bed or in the pub, much to my shame and regret.