European City break

Started by Bingo, November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Cheers PAULD123, brillant summary there. Very useful, will give you a shout on the specifics when i make the call.

Plenty of info in this thread, really sums up on how little travelling in Europe I've done. I suppose that comes from years of travelling to Liverpool on any given chance to take in a match.

Thanks all

armaghniac

QuoteThose of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Vienna is big at the New Year, not the cheapest place, but classy.
As noted above book a classical concert, Beethoven 9th is traditional at that time of year. No need for a Tux, but something above jeans is called for.

It could be very cold, or might not. When I was there first at the New year it was -13 every day and snowy, whereas the second time was like the weather in Ireland today.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PAULD123

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 20, 2013, 08:09:41 AM
...Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Is there any way for you to extend it till new year? Bratislava is just an hour away and New year is the biggest day of the year there. It is their independence day (break up of Czechslovakia was midnight 31 december 1992) so they really celebrate it.

As for Vienna, it is quite beautiful but it will be cold.  Obviously there is a host of museums about art, history and particularly classical music. There are superb building to see or visit (some of the 19th century's finest buildings are here). But here are a few ideas outside the looking at building and museums sort of thing:

• Even if you can't stay till new year I would still recommend a day trip to Bratislava. There are dozens of trains each day. It's a very well preserved medieval town/city, very cheap (if you avoid the Irish bar)

• One of Vienna's highlights would be the (Spanish) riding school with the Lipizzaner ponies. They are tiny and highly trained. very cute little things. Performances on Saturdays & Sundays. Otherwise you can do a guided tour.

• Vienna has the oldest zoo in the world

• You will get Opera or classical concerts at the spectacular Vienna State Opera - Your on holiday so why not try something new out

• Vienna was a really classy place to live in the nineteenth century so lots of food was created there - Wiener schnitzel, Sacher torte, apfelstrudel and lots of light flaky pastries - Try them all!
I only spent a day in Vienna so sorry that is all I was able to get through in my time there.

ziggy90

Quote from: PAULD123 on November 20, 2013, 04:13:36 PM
...Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Is there any way for you to extend it till new year? Bratislava is just an hour away and New year is the biggest day of the year there. It is their independence day (break up of Czechslovakia was midnight 31 december 1992) so they really celebrate it.

As for Vienna, it is quite beautiful but it will be cold.  Obviously there is a host of museums about art, history and particularly classical music. There are superb building to see or visit (some of the 19th century's finest buildings are here). But here are a few ideas outside the looking at building and museums sort of thing:

• Even if you can't stay till new year I would still recommend a day trip to Bratislava. There are dozens of trains each day. It's a very well preserved medieval town/city, very cheap (if you avoid the Irish bar)

• One of Vienna's highlights would be the (Spanish) riding school with the Lipizzaner ponies. They are tiny and highly trained. very cute little things. Performances on Saturdays & Sundays. Otherwise you can do a guided tour.

• Vienna has the oldest zoo in the world

• You will get Opera or classical concerts at the spectacular Vienna State Opera - Your on holiday so why not try something new out

• Vienna was a really classy place to live in the nineteenth century so lots of food was created there - Wiener schnitzel, Sacher torte, apfelstrudel and lots of light flaky pastries - Try them all!
I only spent a day in Vienna so sorry that is all I was able to get through in my time there.

Really? I've travelled through Bratislava on a few occasions and it's always struck me as very grey and drab. I must have a good luck around the next time I'm there.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

armaghniac

QuoteReally? I've travelled through Bratislava on a few occasions and it's always struck me as very grey and drab. I must have a good luck around the next time I'm there.

The historic quarter in Bratislava is not that big, but worth a day or two.

ziggy90

Two days? It must be a fair size. It must be something in provincial peoples psyche but the locals where I visit can't stand Bratislava (drug dealers etc, you know the score  ::)).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 20, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Go to see the opera. Book it now, It will be pricey. If you can't get tickets go to ballet.
Get dressed up.Order half time drinks.

You're dead to me.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: armaghniac on November 19, 2013, 11:57:14 PM
Istanbul certainly worth thinking about, if the fare is decent. Less expensive when there, likewise Lisbon.

Went to Istanbul for Xmas about 3 years ago during the big snow - brilliant place, really enjoyed it. Also got to Lisbon a lot of years ago, along with Oporto & Coimbra - Portugal good place too.

Went during the summer to Bologna & used it as a base to get to Verona, Venice etc - big railway junction, with new fast inter-city links. Not a bad spot either.

Heading for Marrakech this Xmas & got flights a few nights ago for the summer to Copenhagen & then by rail on into Southern Sweden. Was in Stockholm last year & it's a good spot too!

StephenC

Quote from: ballinaman on November 19, 2013, 11:42:24 AM
Larne got some great reviews on a previous thread...

Been to most cities mentioned but have to recommend Poland over the lot.

Beautiful, friendly and dirt cheap. Can't ask for much more.

Krakow is class, as is Gdansk/Sopot. Lovely beach for a run too in Sopot.

Not to mention a nice pint in Pub Kinski.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on November 20, 2013, 08:16:54 PM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Go to see the opera. Book it now, It will be pricey. If you can't get tickets go to ballet.

You're dead to me.

You left out the brownie points. I think it was about 8 million at the time. Granted I'm now down to 4. I'd go back again if I could.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 20, 2013, 09:12:02 PM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

You're dead to me.

You left out the brownie points. I think it was about 8 million at the time. Granted I'm now down to 4. I'd go back again if I could.
Don't even pretend you had the missus with you!

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 20, 2013, 09:22:53 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 20, 2013, 09:12:02 PM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

You're dead to me.

Don't even pretend you had the missus with you!
Feck off, are you not supposed to be getting up from the couch?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

seafoid

Annecy in Haute Savoie and Colmar in Alsace are 2 lovely French cities.
Alsace is very good value with great food and the vineyards are also worth a visit. Annecy has the Alps in the background and is good for walks.

The Trap

Hi Guys, I am going to Paris in December for 4 nights. Can anyone give me advice on the following please:
1. Best way to get from Charles DE Gaulle to city centre hotel?
2. Going to Eurodisney for 1 day. What is best way to do this??
3. Any restaurants to recommend?
4. Was thinking of doing the on/off bus tour. Is this a good idea?
5. Any other tips or advice?

Thanks
1. Train directly into Gare du Nord - most straightforward and cheapest way.  Get a taxi at Gare du Nord or jump on the Metro to the stop nearest to your hotel.  Have done it a few times.
2. Best way is to go by train to the train station just beside Eurodisney, Marne la Vallee. Go from Gare du Lyon or Nation stations in Paris city centre.  It is just at the gate to Eurodisney so no long walks required.
3. Steak restaurant chain Le Relais is good - you don't get any choice though!  Just amazing steaks.  What area are you staying in - I have been to a few others but they're fairly spread out. 
4. The tour is good, yes, there are plenty of companies that offer them.  We got on at Notre Dame.  It coves the main sights and the one I took had audio through headphones rather than a live tour guide. 
5. Don't leave out exploring the square to the side of Sacre Coeur with all the artists.  Monmartre itself is a bit dirty at the bottom of the hill but the buzz around the square up the hill is one of my favourite things about Paris. 

Thanks Rois
The hotel we are staying in is near the Arc De Triomphe. There is a Le Relais nearby so i will try that thanks. Do we need to book train tickets for the airport to city before we go or are they easily bought when we get there? Have you or anyone got any ideas on a special place to bring the wife (apart from shops!!!!!!!)???
Thanks again

armaghniac

The train goes beyond Gare du Nord, sometimes subequent stops like Saint-Michel Notre-Dame or Luxembourg are useful for hotels nearby or for changing to metro lines.

QuoteDo we need to book train tickets for the airport to city before we go or are they easily bought when we get there?

They are easily bought there from the machines in the RER station, (€9.50) although when I was there recently some of these were out of order.