European City break

Started by Bingo, November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Bingo, from your list of options I would recommend:

Berlin:
  • Cheap Ryanair flights from Dublin for about £100
  • Superb quality hotels for cheap prices if booked early (4 stars for about £50/night)
  • Enormous amount of history and the best thing is that it is relevant history (not like some cities where it is history you have never heard of)
  • Fun things to do like dinner on top of a rotating 200m tower, river cruise, open air cinema, eat in the blind restaurant (total darkness!)
  • Decent range of restaurants cheap to Michelin
  • Great bars but not imposing (like say Amsterdam where you can't get away from the nightlife)
  • Access to other places - Poland (Poznan) is roughly a 3 hour train with lots of trains
  • Everyone speaks English pretty much perfectly (don't know if that matters to you

Or Rome:
  • Ryanair flights to Rome or even Pisa (& train)
  • Hotels not nearly as good so go for convenience over quality
  • There is more sightseeing to do in Rome than any other city in the world
  • Best things are free because just sitting around Trevi fountain, Spanish steps or Many beautiful squares is the Roman way
  • Italy has the best food (at all prices) in the world
  • Nightlife better in Berlin, mostly Rome is a meal out, and then bar sort of place
  • April is an ideal time to go as the weather is temperate, Rome is far  too hot for a summer holiday
  • Access to other places - A couple of hours gets you to the spectacular Florence and also the same to Pisa's leaning tower

Other options:
Amsterdam - Obvious attractions and the same detractions. This is not a quite romantic weekend, it is a frenetic joyride. It is forgotten there is a lot of history and art too though, and the city is beautiful. But everywhere the social indulgences side will impose (and there is a lot of English stag parties!!).

Copenhagan - Fairly pricey, small (more like a 2-3 day trip), pretty but not a lot to do, best things is the people and atmosphere it is a city with a friendly town feel. Nightlife is buzzing but if that isn't your priority then you may be missing one of the best bits of Copenhagen. Probably a great place to go more to party than anything else.

Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenberg - All pretty, all have typical Scandanvian sightseeing but all are pricey. 5 days in any of these costs like a fortnight in a summer Spanish resort. I only went here after seeing all the other main European cities.

Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna - All close enough to do in a single holiday (Vienna and Bratislava are the closest capital cities in Europe). The advantage here is definitely cost. All are pretty but with nothing spectacular. If going definitely indulge in local alcohol and local food. Get a feel for the place properly because you only have to go a little off the tourist areas to find it. Flights will be a bit more expensive but only about £30-50.

Prague - Yeah it's nice and lots to see, also trips out of town possible. But it is not cheap any more. They were the first to get large scale western tourism and they have learned how to hike up the prices to match. It is definitely worth going to but you will get more out of some of the major western cities, or get eastern Europe a lot cheaper in countries a little further South or East.

Barcelona - Probably right up there near Rome and Berlin. Maybe just not as much to do, but you will not be disappointed if you choose it. Hotels are much lower quality or further out.

Madrid - In all honesty not that much to do compared to the other major cities. Fantastic feel to the place but Barcelona offers far more tourist activity.

Lisbon - Beautiful tourist area but a fairly small one. a one-day sightseeing effort would cover this city. Lisbon is all about the amazing nightlife where a whole street becomes a massive open air bar and everyone is so friendly - it's a drink all night but not wild or drunken sort of place.

Seville - Bit of a wild card but you will be amazed at how nice this place is. There is enough to keep you busy for 2 days maybe, but there is the fantastic Alhambra palace in Granada which is 3 hours away by train or bus. People are really happy here because they know they live in a nice place.

Brussels - No no no! This is the most boring capital city I've been to. The only winning point is the 1 hour train to Brugge which is small paradise and probably the prettiest town in the whole of Europe.

But basically my opinion would be if you haven't been to many places then start with either the cheapest or the biggest. After you have seen Rome, Berlin, Paris, London, Barcelona - then start looking at the wider culture offerings of Scandinavia, Andulacia, Cote d'Azur... Or head to Eastern Europe for dirt cheap food and drink and a chance to see the old soviet world before it is gone.

Once you have decided where you are going let me know and I will give you some tips on getting the best out of your trip (if you want of course)

armaghniac

It depends what you want. Berlin isn't beautiful, but is interesting if history lights your bulb. Dresden is a feasible side trip from there, but there is lots in Berlin and Potsdam to see if it interests you.

The likes of Prague or Krakow are more picturesque.

Another possibility is Munich/Salzburg.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: PAULD123 on November 19, 2013, 05:56:09 PM
Madrid - In all honesty not that much to do compared to the other major cities. Fantastic feel to the place but Barcelona offers far more tourist activity.

I'd disagree with that massively. As a regular enough visitor, I think there's plenty to see and do at all hours of the day and night.

ziggy90

Or head to Eastern Europe for dirt cheap food and drink and a chance to see the old soviet world before it is gone.

I've a daughter who's been living out in Slovakia for the past 18 months and we've had 5/6 visits there in that time. The "Old Soviet World" is already "Kaput" around there especially in peoples attitudes and aspirations. There are some beautiful towns and villages to visit and it really is "dirt cheap", beer's about 85 cents for 1/2 a litre and it really is nectar. You'd get a good 3 course dinner with wine for under a tenner (if you eat the local cuisine), venison and wild boar seem to be their staple meats. The thing I've found about Eastern Europe (outside of the major tourist areas) is that it seems to be their culture to get up early but also go to bed early so there's not much really in the way of nightlife.

Rois, I don't know anything about skiing but it seems to me that some of these countries are gearing up to go after some of that action.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ross4life

Berlin,Barcelona,Rome probably my three favourite European cities.  Athens,Istanbul,Innsbruck haven't been mentioned yet & all good spots for a break away.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM
This has probably been done elsewhere but could anyone recommend a location in European to spend 4/5 days next April. A city break or even take in a couple of places ie fly into A and fly home from B.

Places mentioned so far - Prague, Stockholm, Croatia, Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen or maybe even a few days in the sun somewhere.

Any pointers much appreciated. Kids not travelling by the way.

Portlaoise.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Istanbul certainly worth thinking about, if the fare is decent. Less expensive when there, likewise Lisbon.

5 Sams

After reading this thread I have to go to Rome. Chrimbo present sorted!!!
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Rome wasn't seen in a day.

best go off peak though, it does get packed out with tourists.

lfdown2

Sorry to hijack Bingo.

Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

The Trap

Hi Guys, I am going to Paris in December for 4 nights. Can anyone give me advice on the following please:
1. Best way to get from Charles DE Gaulle to city centre hotel?
2. Going to Eurodisney for 1 day. What is best way to do this??
3. Any restaurants to recommend?
4. Was thinking of doing the on/off bus tour. Is this a good idea?
5. Any other tips or advice?

Thanks

Rois

Quote from: The Trap on November 20, 2013, 08:29:04 AM
Hi Guys, I am going to Paris in December for 4 nights. Can anyone give me advice on the following please:
1. Best way to get from Charles DE Gaulle to city centre hotel?
2. Going to Eurodisney for 1 day. What is best way to do this??
3. Any restaurants to recommend?
4. Was thinking of doing the on/off bus tour. Is this a good idea?
5. Any other tips or advice?

Thanks
1. Train directly into Gare du Nord - most straightforward and cheapest way.  Get a taxi at Gare du Nord or jump on the Metro to the stop nearest to your hotel.  Have done it a few times.
2. Best way is to go by train to the train station just beside Eurodisney, Marne la Vallee. Go from Gare du Lyon or Nation stations in Paris city centre.  It is just at the gate to Eurodisney so no long walks required.
3. Steak restaurant chain Le Relais is good - you don't get any choice though!  Just amazing steaks.  What area are you staying in - I have been to a few others but they're fairly spread out. 
4. The tour is good, yes, there are plenty of companies that offer them.  We got on at Notre Dame.  It coves the main sights and the one I took had audio through headphones rather than a live tour guide. 
5. Don't leave out exploring the square to the side of Sacre Coeur with all the artists.  Monmartre itself is a bit dirty at the bottom of the hill but the buzz around the square up the hill is one of my favourite things about Paris. 

gerrykeegan

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 20, 2013, 08:09:41 AM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

Those of you have been Vienna, can you recommend what to do, heading for 1st wedding anniversary on 27 December for 3 nights.

Go to see the opera. Book it now, It will be pricey. If you can't get tickets go to ballet.
Get dressed up.Order half time drinks.  Brownie points for the rest of your liife, Ignore any slagging you get here.

Go to the Schonbrunn Palace, there most likely will be Christmas markets there at that time of year.

We stayed near the Stadpark and there is a famous Austrian restaurant called the Plachutta. http://www.plachutta.at/de/home/

It's the business, no english menu from what I can remember. Pricey but worth it.

Vienna is one of the nicest places I have stayed in
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

leaveherinsir

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 20, 2013, 08:09:41 AM
Sorry to hijack Bingo.

Was there as twenty something with a rucksack and low morals don't think your wife would appreciate lying in a hostel and drinking with a crowd o Aussies til 4 in the morning!! Opera/Music is big there from memory. Maybe get dressed up in the oul tuxedo and her in the new frock for some culture on one night!!

muppet

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 19, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
Or head to Eastern Europe for dirt cheap food and drink and a chance to see the old soviet world before it is gone.

I've a daughter who's been living out in Slovakia for the past 18 months and we've had 5/6 visits there in that time. The "Old Soviet World" is already "Kaput" around there especially in peoples attitudes and aspirations. There are some beautiful towns and villages to visit and it really is "dirt cheap", beer's about 85 cents for 1/2 a litre and it really is nectar. You'd get a good 3 course dinner with wine for under a tenner (if you eat the local cuisine), venison and wild boar seem to be their staple meats. The thing I've found about Eastern Europe (outside of the major tourist areas) is that it seems to be their culture to get up early but also go to bed early so there's not much really in the way of nightlife.

Rois, I don't know anything about skiing but it seems to me that some of these countries are gearing up to go after some of that action.

It is the same in the Czech Republic if you leave Prague.
MWWSI 2017