Michael Murphy

Started by BennyCake, October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Ultán on November 04, 2013, 12:16:47 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 04, 2013, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 04, 2013, 09:23:14 AM
Going by the Irish news st galls should have won at their leisure. I don't think I've ever saw a report be as adamant a ref got it wrong re the penalty either.

Looking forward to Glenswilly v Roslea, see if this Murphy lad is as good as quigley ;)
Do not know if he is in the same class.

Seán is playing just as well as Shéamus at the moment. One of his points yesterday was sheer class.

That is very true, I had almost written we'll see if he's as good as either, but I didn't want the lads to think I wasn't serious :)

It was an outrageous fetch and finish, a few great flicks too.

jftj

Quote from: rrhf on October 31, 2013, 10:59:34 PM
I'd go as far as to say him and cooper are the best 2 footballers since Canavan
Murphy has a lot to prove to be even mentioned alongside Oisin mc conville nevermind cooper and the king of them all Canavan.

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 04, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
Were any of ye at the game yesterday?
How did MM play?

I can help but notice the number of games where he only gets 1 or 2 points from play.
Does he not shoot as much as he used to?

As with Donegal, he's their primary creator/target man, not necessarily scorer.

Still a superb finisher when he gets the chance though.

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2013, 02:24:07 PM
How did MM play?

I can help but notice the number of games where he only gets 1 or 2 points from play.

At club level, Murphy would be a nightmare.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: orangeman on November 04, 2013, 02:43:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2013, 02:24:07 PM
How did MM play?

At club level, Murphy would be a nightmare.

Lads I didn't see it, not in the same mould as Osin but I'd rather have an Osin on my team than a Murphy. Horses for courses. Isolated up front, long ball into the corner or middle is a 50/50 IMO. They scored more than us and we missed more than they scored!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

But that's my point. As he's so strong and such a good ball winner would he not be better played as Donegal play McFadden. I'd say he's a much better footballer than McFadden yet Colm seems to get a lot more scores from play than MM does.

I can appreciate a lot of teams will double mark him if he's playing at FF but even Sean Cavanagh seems to get a lot more scoring chances than him from MF or half forward.
All I'm asking is do managers get the most out of him.

rrhf

Yes but give the lad time. He has captained his team to an all Ireland senior so mc conville never managed to do that or cooper.i agree with you that  He certainly has a long way before he makes Canavan status but then again its a benchmark may never be surpassed. Michael beefcakes Murphy is one of the stars of today's game though he can't worry about yesterday's men  so good luck to him.

Wildweasel74

oh i take Murphy over McConville, thank u very much

BennyCake

Quote from: rrhf on November 04, 2013, 05:44:00 PM
Yes but give the lad time. He has captained his team to an all Ireland senior so mc conville never managed to do that or cooper.i agree with you that  He certainly has a long way before he makes Canavan status but then again its a benchmark may never be surpassed. Michael beefcakes Murphy is one of the stars of today's game though he can't worry about yesterday's men  so good luck to him.

So, by your logic, if you didn't happen to raise Sam, that makes you less of a player? McConville was just as important to Armagh in 02 as the captain, McGeeney was. And Cooper was far more vital in Kerrys win in 2006/07 that Declan O'Sullivan was.

There can be half a dozen leaders in any team in their own right, but just one captain. But just because you're not captain, doesn't suggest you're any less of a player.

rrhf

No but at 24 Michael Murphy is way ahead of where Oisin was at the same age, would you not agree?

BennyCake

Quote from: rrhf on November 04, 2013, 07:07:51 PM
No but at 24 Michael Murphy is way ahead of where Oisin was at the same age, would you not agree?

Oisin was 24 in 2000. He'd already won 3 AI club titles, and probably Cross and Armagh's main man. 2-7 in an Ulster final in 1999. 1-7 v Seamus Moynihan in 2000 semi. Thats just the high profile scores. He had scored a shitload of points and goals at club and county.

I think there's a shitload more to come from Murphy, providing he stays injury free. Both players have/had achieved a lot at such a young age. But they have slightly different roles in the team, but as fine a player as Murphy is, Oisin had achieved more by 24. Helped no doubt by the success of Cross.

rrhf

Can't argue with too much of that.

Wildweasel74

I never really looked at football club honours when comparing county men for the simple reason some may not play on a strong team, Pat Spillane won 8 all-irelands, as many kerry championships on the divisional side, but his own club went no farther than intermediate in Kerry, i believed he say they were in division 5 for a while. Saying McConville was better cause he happened to be part of a great cross team winning club all-irelands doesn't make him a better palyer. Glenswilly would not have the numbers crossmaglen have, and would not be expected to contest regularly club finals.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 05, 2013, 07:42:58 PM
I never really looked at football club honours when comparing county men for the simple reason some may not play on a strong team, Pat Spillane won 8 all-irelands, as many kerry championships on the divisional side, but his own club went no farther than intermediate in Kerry, i believed he say they were in division 5 for a while. Saying McConville was better cause he happened to be part of a great cross team winning club all-irelands doesn't make him a better palyer. Glenswilly would not have the numbers crossmaglen have, and would not be expected to contest regularly club finals.

Pat Spillane won an All Ireland club with a college team, beat the mighty Johnnies team from Belfast that year. Some great club players never get to play for teams winning Senior All Irelands cause they play for shite county teams ;)

McConville was a great county player also and huge club player. Murphy and Osin are two different type of players, depends what you're looking for, a free takers and scorer from play? or Murphy great target man and free taker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jinxy

Ollie Murphy was better.
If you were any use you'd be playing.