Mayo v Galway NFL Semi-Final

Started by Redgreenery, April 08, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildanach

i believe in horses for courses, perhaps heaney at full back(he does well on joyce) for this game and kilcullen at midfield then revert back for other opposition. otherwise very happy with the line up
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Redgreenery

This is the line-up that I was expecting to see, wasnt at the Tyrone game but it'll be interesting to see how G Brady gets on at FF. Glad to see Kevin O Neill named on the starting panel and of course C Mortimer, as there was doubt earlier in the week about him! I'd expect them to take Galway with that team.

Fishead_Sam

Could not agree more ildanach, Heaney always does a good job on Joyce, both a year older so time an equal factor for both. Kilcullen can do a good job at midfield, but if Kilcullen was at Midfield breaking balls I would like to see Brady beside him(obvioulsy if fit). Maybe Barry Moran and his fielding should get 20 minutes/ a half good to try him out against the Galway lads, leaving us with another option coming into May 20'th also would make it harder for Galway to get the right formula together for meeting us in the Championship

Redgreenery

Preview from gaa.ie:

Croke Park 2.15pm, Mayo v Galway

Mayo are boosted by the return to fitness of Conor Mortimer ahead of Sunday's National Football League semi-final against Galway at Croke Park.

The diminutive forward netted a hat-trick of goals against Tyrone in the Division 1A clash on Easter weekend, but looked to be struggling with a shoulder injury during the game.

He is set to make the crunch tie though but Ciaran McDonald is still not back in full training yet.

Expected to be back for The Westerners are David Heaney, Kevin O'Neill, Peadar Gardiner and James Kilcullen, who were all rested for the county's last match. That quartet of players could hold the key to unlocking rivals Galway in this one, which is a repeat of the same stage last year when the Tribesmen won by five points. Galway went on to lose in the ultimate round against Kerry.

Incidentally, the last time Mayo claimed a league title (2001), they put Galway to the sword.
While Galway were impressive in their Division 1B games, they will face a totally different kind of competitor when they come up against Mayo on Sunday.

The Tribesmen do look to captain Padraic Joyce for inspiration far too much, but their half-back line is improving all the time and could be what is needed to stop Mayo's creative forwards. Nickey Joyce, Padraic's cousin, is coming along nicely in the forwards and beginning to take a bit of the weight off the shoulders of his better known relation.

Manager Peter Ford will be aiming to rally his troops ahead of this crucial encounter, but his team's fortunes may rest with the performance of their experienced captain.

The interesting sub-story here is that the sides will meet on 20 May in the Connacht Senior Football Championship. Neither camp will have wanted to show their cards this early and that could well influence proceedings at HQ.

VERDICT: Mayo.

Redgreenery

belleaqua

Ford hasnt named a Galway side before a friday since he took over from JOM and it wrecks my head. Johhno named his team for the All Ireland in 2001 on the Sunday before hand-that was confidence!

Blake will be pushin hard for inclusion but half back line is going so well where do ya put him?

If Savo is fit he will play instead of Alan Burke the last day. That should be about it!

venter

Galway

Doherty
Fitzgerald
Hanley
D Burke
Coyne
D Meehan
M Comer
Bergin
Blake
Savage
Fallon
N Joyce
M Meehan
P Joyce
Bane

MaroonAndWhite

Not far off the Championship fifteen.........a bit late in the day for Forde to be trying Blake at midfield. Hes a class act at no 6 but will be interesting to see how he does there. Hes a decent midfielder for Milltown but intercounty is a much bigger ask. He will be back at 6 no doubt come 20 May.......Coyne was ok for league but unsure if hes made of Championship stuff. Meehan back at 5 too asap hopefully.
Coleman and Clancy will be fit for bench....will be big impact subs if they are up to coming on for last twenty.
Expect the real fireworks on 20/5/07......dont expect Sunday to be a barnstormer. Doesnt mean too much to either side....All Irelands are what both sides are looking for now and a league certainly wouldnt appease the Mayo crowd. Given that its so long since Galway won the league it would be valued a bit more by ourselves probably.

GalwayBayBoy

Much as expected really. Would prefer to see Blake at centre-back with Deccie moving to the wing and Comer on the bench. Not much between Geraghty and Cullinane for the other midfield spot. Neither has really claimed it.

Full-back line looks the strongest it's been for quite a while.

Forwards as expected. Armstrong and Coleman still injured aren't they? What's the story with Paul Clancy these days?

belleaqua

Is P. Clancy retired? There is no talk about him whatsoever. He wouldnt be the type to announce it or anything.

Surprised as you are Maroon and White regarding Blakes sudden positioning at midfield. Intercounty football a big step up there.

We could do ok here on Sunday though, Heaney and Harte are fine players but without McGarritty there is no dominant aerial presence. Im expecting alot of Bergin sunday.

Is Niall Coleman definitely on bench?

myball22

I'd say this will be acase of who wants it more. There will be a lot of breaking ball in the midfield so whoever gets on tough here will win.

It will be interesting to see how Blake does at midfield. Geraghty and Cullinane haven't impressed at all so there's a spot vacant.
I wonder do he have the finess though?

Overall you would have to start Mayo as favourites. A lot would depend upon how well Kilcullen does on Joyce, heaney always well on Joyce, sure we'll see on Sunday

belleaqua

Id be surprised if JOM doesnt let Kilcullen have a cut at Joyce, it would be a vote of no confidence i think. He could keep Heaney until championship. Nothing to lose by giving Kilcullen the chance, remember the real thing isnt until May 20th.

Also, we have four players who play full forward regularly with their clubs so might not be a huge issue. Any of the two Joyces, Meehan and Savo could be tried there if things not working out.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on April 13, 2007, 12:32:22 PM
Not far off the Championship fifteen.........a bit late in the day for Forde to be trying Blake at midfield. Hes a class act at no 6 but will be interesting to see how he does there. Hes a decent midfielder for Milltown but intercounty is a much bigger ask. He will be back at 6 no doubt come 20 May.......Coyne was ok for league but unsure if hes made of Championship stuff. Meehan back at 5 too asap hopefully.
Coleman and Clancy will be fit for bench....will be big impact subs if they are up to coming on for last twenty.
Expect the real fireworks on 20/5/07......dont expect Sunday to be a barnstormer. Doesnt mean too much to either side....All Irelands are what both sides are looking for now and a league certainly wouldnt appease the Mayo crowd. Given that its so long since Galway won the league it would be valued a bit more by ourselves probably.

Ive seen Blake a couple of times now. I always think he is limited enough footballing wise. It will be intresting enough to see him against Heaney who is a lot more mobile than him.

An Fhairche Abu

I'll be in Croker next Sunday to watch this low key Galway-Mayo clash but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Galway next Sunday or indeed for the rest of this year.
I went along to Tuam last Sunday only to see that nothing has changed from last year. Exact same problems, same lack of solutions and options. I think the poor quality of opponents in Division 1B the past few years has masked the true placing of Galway in the overall scheme of things, certainly we are not top 4, at this stage are we even top 8 you'd wonder.
Mayo even at half tilt should win it the next day, I doubt they'll be too bothered win or lose however, they are only thinking of May 20th, as are the Galway team I hope, although Mayo have far more cause for optimism.
As for trying what has been our centre back Blake in the middle, I'm puzzled to see how he will solve our problem of gaining primary possession from kick-outs, Bergin is a fine running midfielder but needs someone alongside him to do the hard graft, for a big man Bergin doesn't have the aerial ability he should have. Cullinane and Geraghty don't seem to be championship class, although Geraghty won some great ball in the 2nd half last Sunday, this was only after one of the Down midfielders had been injured (he eventually came off the pitch later that half). The half forward line was non-existent that last day and it's the problem of midfield/half forward area that is most obvious, followed closely by the fact that while Down aren't up to much at least on some occasions they put together some lovely team moves in the match that resulted in scores. While he has shored up the defence well, I can't recall a Galway team looking and playing like everyone was on the same wavelength under Ford's management (bar one half against Cork in 2005). Still looks like a bunch of individuals with no discernible pattern or thoughtfulness to their play.
Only positives for Galway is that Finian Hanley is becoming a stellar full back, far more confident and commanding then the youngster who was drafted into the squad after the Leitrim game in 2005. He has pace, good distribution, good recovery powers when a mistake is made and is winning far more 50/50 balls between himself and his marker now. With Blake also very solid at CHB and Fitzy and Damien Burke sticky enough markers in the corners, in general I don't think the defence would concede big scores if the midfield and forwards were able to hold onto more possession, but as most opposition will have far more of the ball, there's only so much a defence can do when under constant pressure.

I hope I'm very wrong about our prospects for the year ahead but I feel that most Galway fans now have a very realistic expectation of what we can achieve this year. Personally I'd give the match to Mayo by 5 points, but if we manage to win, the team and Ford should go all out for the league title as if we make it to the final it's by far our best chance of winning something this year.

belleaqua

Have to agree with most of that An Fhairce Abu unfortunately. I dont think wel suffer at midfield the next day because it will be a very open game IMO. That wont mask the failures later in the year though.