Gym Workouts

Started by pullhard, October 25, 2013, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Just changed jobs. The new place has a small but well appointed gym, free weights, machines and cardio stuff.

Going to aim to go for an hour each day. However im a bit of newbie when it comes to this, anyone have any programs they follow?

My diet is quite good dont eat much rubbish, like to get my 5-a-day.

Regards goals, it's my honeymoon is 5/6 months would like to be in decent shape, maybe a six pack.

Suggestions, flames, hints and tips all welcome

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pullhard on October 25, 2013, 05:52:43 PM
Just changed jobs. The new place has a small but well appointed gym, free weights, machines and cardio stuff.

Going to aim to go for an hour each day. However im a bit of newbie when it comes to this, anyone have any programs they follow?

Regards goals, it's my honeymoon is 5/6 months would like to be in decent shape, maybe a six pack. Suggestions, flames, hints and tips all welcome

Ha the holy grail!! If your diet consists of sauces (for dinners, like gravy, jars of curry instaed of homemade and others) forget it, you drink beers? then forget it. Your body fat content needs to be around 1% I've seen a lot of lads with it but they work serious hard and it's mainly down to the diet.

But with cardio mixed in with a decent weights and core training programme you could get into decent shape quickly enough, 5/6 months is tight though. Would recommend seeing a very good personal trainer to get you started, he'll give you a programme, diet and ensure your lifting technique is good as the last thing you want on your honeymoon is a sore back for the wrong reasons ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2013, 06:53:15 PM
Quote from: pullhard on October 25, 2013, 05:52:43 PM

Regards goals, it's my honeymoon is 5/6 months would like to be in decent shape, maybe a six pack. Suggestions, flames, hints and tips all welcome

Ha the holy grail!! If your diet consists of sauces (for dinners, like gravy, jars of curry instaed of homemade and others) forget it, you drink beers? then forget it. Your body fat content needs to be around 1% I've seen a lot of lads with it but they work serious hard and it's mainly down to the diet.

But with cardio mixed in with a decent weights and core training programme you could get into decent shape quickly enough, 5/6 months is tight though. Would recommend seeing a very good personal trainer to get you started, he'll give you a programme, diet and ensure your lifting technique is good as the last thing you want on your honeymoon is a sore back for the wrong reasons ;)

1%?? Ah now!! I thought it was below 10?

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Ok splitting hairs here, either way it's very tough and and really worth the hassle, should have kept the one ya had when you were 16!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pullhard

Cheers boys, im not in bad shape. around 176 cm and 77 kgs.

1% body fat, even 8% body fat, i'd say i'd be a bit off them stats...
I had a 2 pack at 16! then i found the high stool and curry!
Been off the sauce for a few months and reined in the eating sh*te, still have occional sweety or choccy bar.

How much should I be looking to pay a for a personal trainer?
Bound to be some gym gurus on here who could help ;)

Sea The Stars

I regularly use the gym. It's a great outlet plus you will feel a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after a good workout. I would not set too high targets to begin with - just get involved, learn the different lifts, do some circuit trainings and give it 100%. You will notice results after a few weeks.

Don't go for a personal trainer unless you're 100% confident you'll make the most of it - maybe instead find a decent class, e.g. TRX, spinning, circuit training. You can dream big but keep expectations in portion with where you are at the moment, that would by my advice. Pretty soon you will know if you've caught the gym bug or not.

The guys you see with see proper abs in magazines, etc have been doing it for years and make sacrifices normal people are not prepared to make.

tintin25

Alot of pts advertise on gumtree and the like. Went to one around this time last year for about 6 weeks or so and paid around £500. Whilst I did see some results and learned the correct lifting techniques, I'd say it mainly resolves around your diet if you want to be ripped. Them lads you see with the six packs are seriously committed and eat clean pretty much 100% of the time. That said, you should still be able to get reasonably fit and toned. Queens run a 12 week body transformation course for 12 weeks every so often... Costs about 200 if you a member. Also heard good reports of a circuits class run my Ian Young, called ifit...anyone been?

pullhard

500 bars, that's some dough. maybe cheaper to learn how to Photoshop!

I'll get on gumtree, and see what I can find.

what's the deal with these powders, protein, all in one, gainer, creatine?? They for the more advanced and heavier lifters?

Quote from: tintin25 on October 25, 2013, 07:56:42 PM

Alot of pts advertise on gumtree and the like. Went to one around this time last year for about 6 weeks or so and paid around £500. Whilst I did see some results and learned the correct lifting techniques, I'd say it mainly resolves around your diet if you want to be ripped. Them lads you see with the six packs are seriously committed and eat clean pretty much 100% of the time. That said, you should still be able to get reasonably fit and toned. Queens run a 12 week body transformation course for 12 weeks every so often... Costs about 200 if you a member. Also heard good reports of a circuits class run my Ian Young, called ifit...anyone been?

Zulu

Janey MM2, 1% the man would be close to death. Anything below 10% would have you well set for a 6 pack though genetics play a big part. As others have said, it's all about diet as we all have a 6 pack it's just most of us can't see it because we have a layer of body fat over it. A 2kg weekly reduction in weight is realistic, though difficult. It's best to set a weekly and monthly goal rather than focus on longterm goals. If you're 77kg and 176cm then I would suggest you are close to the optimal weight for your height so if you're carrying a bit of excess weight then I would simply focus on keeping my diet sensible while training with weights and high intensity repeat sprint running.

Weights should consist of compound exercises like squats, romanian deadlifts, bench presses, pull ups etc. rather than bicep curls or tricep dips.

The Iceman

Personal training is the way to go to get you on your way. You'll learn loads from them in a 3 month period and you can use what you learn ongoing.
If you're about Belfast find Mark Getty, he runs a gym and does PT - best man in town.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Over the Bar

Has anyone tried Insanity?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 26, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
Has anyone tried Insanity?

Yeah do it every week in a morning session before work!! f**king mental

Still go so its must be alright

Corner Forward

Quote from: pullhard on October 25, 2013, 08:21:06 PM
500 bars, that's some dough. maybe cheaper to learn how to Photoshop!

I'll get on gumtree, and see what I can find.

what's the deal with these powders, protein, all in one, gainer, creatine?? They for the more advanced and heavier lifters?

Whole purpose of these shakes/powders is to help with recovery after exercise. If anyone has looked into buying these they will see there is a huge range out there in terms of brands and prices. Generally a protein shake is used after training to aid recovery and also can be taken during the day to keep protein levels in ur body high-handy way to get more protein into ur diet without the need for food. Mass gainer shakes are used by those who struggle to put on weight and would like to bulk up,they contain large amounts of calories normally exceeding ur recommended daily amount. Creatine is a natural chemical found in the body the supplement just increases the levels in ur body to help with muscle growth. Creatine can come in shake/powder form or as tablets and  needs to be taking in cycles with dosages changing every 2 weeks. Popular among athletes who are looking for explosive power. I personally take a shake after a heavy workout but would prefer to get the necessaries from my diet,you would find if your taking 2 or more shakes a day they can cost you a fortune. Also if your looking at the cheaper brands make sure that they have been cleared by the relevant authorities (sorry can remember the name of the body who deals with it) but they basically test them to ensure they don't contain any banned substances-cheaper products often haven't been cleared.