Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

Cnoc an Linsigh or Druim Samhraidh ?
Any Gaelgeoiri out there know ?

Rossfan

Quote from: fearglasmor on October 21, 2013, 09:16:42 PM
From what I remember driving in those parts the road signs say "Cnoc..." but the CLCG bucks have it as "Drum..."
Is this an embarrassing bit of direct translating by the GAA of the Planters' name while ignoring the old ( and proper) ainm Gaeilge??
Or are the road signs a booboo by the Meath Co Co?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Billys Boots

Is 'Drum' not the top of the hill, as opposed to a more general 'Croc/Knock' being the hill itself?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

DuffleKing

Hardy

Billys Boots

Are ye saying it's behind the hill?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 21, 2013, 09:27:04 PM
From what I remember driving in those parts the road signs say "Cnoc..." but the CLCG bucks have it as "Drum..."
Is this an embarrassing bit of direct translating by the GAA of the Planters' name while ignoring the old ( and proper) ainm Gaeilge??
Speaking of 'booboos', Mayo Co. Co have decided to give every little boreen leading to nowhere a number, whether this is a national thing or not, I don't know, however travelling to work each day I pass a road leading to a townland called Slievenagark, as Gaeilge, it's Sliabh na gCearc, there's even a bloody rock there with it in Irish. The sign says Sliabh na gCeart.  :-[ It's a bad system when they misrepresent the 'c's.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 22, 2013, 10:22:42 PM
Speaking of 'booboos', Mayo Co. Co have decided to give every little boreen leading to nowhere a number, whether this is a national thing or not, I don't know, however travelling to work each day I pass a road leading to a townland called Slievenagark, as Gaeilge, it's Sliabh na gCearc, there's even a bloody rock there with it in Irish. The sign says Sliabh na gCeart.  :-[ It's a bad system when they misrepresent the 'c's.

Sliabh na gCeart would sound more righteous!

Sliabh na gCearc is far better though. You should rename your club na gCearc.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

Sliabh na gCearc is far better though. You should rename your club na gCearc.  ;D

Mountain of the hen, or is it hens? The primary teachers will be able to sort that. With the way the Gaeilge goes ye cant be even sure if yer hen is even masculine or feminine :-\

Strangest thing about the name is that there is no bloody mountain about. It s undulating boulderclay country. Maybe it was supposed to be Slí na gCearc - Hen's Way does not make a hell of a lot of sense either ;D

Still, its a placename I really like. Ring to it or something.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2013, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

Mountain of the hen, or is it hens? The primary teachers will be able to sort that. With the way the Gaeilge goes ye cant be even sure if yer hen is even masculine or feminine :-\

Strangest thing about the name is that there is no bloody mountain about. It s undulating boulderclay country. Maybe it was supposed to be Slí na gCearc - Hen's Way does not make a hell of a lot of sense either ;D

Still, its a placename I really like. Ring to it or something.
Still, it doesn't beat Poll a' Mhadaigh, does it?
That's one part of Mayo I haven't been to but I hope to make it there someday if only to find out how it got its name.
While I'm in the area, I'll go to Crucksbullaghadawn too to see if it really exists!
I'd love to find out what that name means.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fearglasmor

Very interesting (don't get out much) website www.logainm.ie
There are Summerhills all over the country and the majority of them are Cnoc an tSamhraidh
There are a few exceptions  in Louth its Mullach Oscair, in Tipp theres a Cnocán Doire and in Meath theres Cnoc an Línsigh.

So unless the Lynch wan married into the Summers and changed her name or vice versa. But Droim/Druim appears nowhere.

Always knew Mick Lyons was a dud.