Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 09:35:51 AM
Was anyone watching Germany and Cameroon on Sunday night? Good open game in fairness. Cameroon look like they will be dire at the back and good going forward. Liverpool-esque. Anyway, I had to laugh at the BT Sports commentator. He said 'The influence of the French league is very strong on this Cameroon team, in fact I know some of them even speak to each other in French!'. :D

Bring back Eurosports - all is forgiven.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 03, 2014, 12:20:35 AM
Falcao officially out of WC.
A great name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_RQIMWSiY

There was a Brazilian called Josimar playing in 86  - I thought it sounded like the name of a Tipp hurler

Billys Boots

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2014, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: Rossie11 on June 03, 2014, 12:20:35 AM
Falcao officially out of WC.
A great name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_RQIMWSiY

There was a Brazilian called Josimar playing in 86  - I thought it sounded like the name of a Tipp hurler

Ah jaysus, they all got out of his way - was it his birthday or something? In fairness, that was probably the best game I ever watched - the triumph of patience and cynicism over style and flair; all of Armagh must have been watching.  ;)

AZOffaly

Without looking at the link, is that Italy v Brazil 1982 or France v Brazil 1986? They're the two best games that stick out in my memory.

The film of the 1982 world cup final was on last night on BTSports. That was a great World Cup. I forgot Italy missed a penalty in the final as well. Schumacher's 'foul' on Battiston was unbelievable. It's jail he should have got, never mind escaping a free, red card or penalty. Jean Tigana was a great player, and Platini.

rodney trotter

Chile squad
Goalkeepers: Claudio Bravo (Real Sociedad), Johnny Herrera (Universidad de Chile), Cristopher Toselli (Universidad Catolica)

Defenders: Gary Medel (Cardiff City), Jose Rojas (Universidad de Chile), Eugenio Mena (Santos), Gonzalo Jara (Nottingham Forest)

Midfielders: Arturo Vidal (Juventus), Mauricio Isla (Juventus), Marcelo Diaz (Basel), Francisco Silva (Osasuna), Felipe Gutierrez (FC Twente), Jose Pedro Fuenzalida (Colo Colo), Carlos Carmona (Atalanta), Jean Beausejour (Wigan Athletic), Charles Aranguiz (Internacional), Miiko Albornoz (Malmo)

Forwards: Alexis Sanchez (Barcelona), Eduardo Vargas (Valencia), Jorge Valdivia (Palmeiras), Mauricio Pinilla (Cagliari), Esteban Paredes (Colo Colo), Fabian Orellana (Celta Vigo)

Colombia World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: David Ospina (Nice/France), Faryd Mondragon (Deportivo Cali), Camilo Vargas (Santa Fe)

Defenders: Camilo Zuniga (Napoli/Italy), Pablo Armero (Napoli/Italy), Cristian Zapata (AC Milan/Italy), Mario Yepes (Atalanta/Italy), Carlos Valdes (Philadelphia Union/USA - on loan to San Lorenzo/Argentina), Santiago Arias (PSV Eindhoven/Netherlands), Eder Alvarez-Balanta (River Plate/Argentina)

Midfielders: James Rodriguez (Monaco/France), Abel Aguilar (Toulouse/France), Carlos Sanchez (Elche/Spain), Fredy Guarin (Inter Milan/Italy), Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto/Portugal), Aldo Ramirez (Morelia/Mexico), Alexander Mejia (Atletico Nacional), Victor Ibarbo (Cagliari/Italy), Juan Guillermo Cuadrado (Fiorentina/Italy)

Forwards: Jackson Martinez (Porto/Portugal), Teofilo Gutierrez (River Plate/Argentina), Carlos Bacca (Sevilla/Spain), Adrian Ramos (Borussia Dortmund/Germany)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 10:37:55 AM
Without looking at the link, is that Italy v Brazil 1982 or France v Brazil 1986? They're the two best games that stick out in my memory.

The film of the 1982 world cup final was on last night on BTSports. That was a great World Cup. I forgot Italy missed a penalty in the final as well. Schumacher's 'foul' on Battiston was unbelievable. It's jail he should have got, never mind escaping a free, red card or penalty. Jean Tigana was a great player, and Platini.

Italy-Brazil '82.  France weren't cynical in '86!

AZOffaly

Sorry, I misread your clash of styles comment. I watched Italy v Brazil with my Grandfather. He died a couple of months later, and it sticks out in my head. Rossi and Socrates.

screenexile

Just bought a dodgy Italy top from Vietnam (I think) I'll be a Guido for the next month!

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:45:13 AM
Sorry, I misread your clash of styles comment. I watched Italy v Brazil with my Grandfather. He died a couple of months later, and it sticks out in my head. Rossi and Socrates.

Socrates, possibly the coolest dude ever to wear football boots - he was a doctor (medical) wasn't he?

AZOffaly

Yes. He studied for a bit at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin too I think. But NO he did NOT win a Sigerson :)

Billys Boots

AZOffaly

That wasn't directed at you. Usually whenever Socrates is mentioned someone pops up with the Sigerson myth.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:57:21 AM
That wasn't directed at you. Usually whenever Socrates is mentioned someone pops up with the Sigerson myth.

But he did play junior B hurling for the Crokes.   8)

rodney trotter

Colombia have some great talent in their Squad its a pity Falcao is out though

AZOffaly

Chile won't be bad. Belgium are the sexy dark horses.