Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 13, 2014, 10:33:00 AM
Quote from: Bingo on May 13, 2014, 10:26:04 AM
Looking at the squads been announced, is England the only country that will have all its players playing in their own domestic league. I'd say Germany not be far off it but they would have a few in England and Spain.

Surely this is another negative for England, and Ireland as well at International level.

The players experience of playing at a different paced game and against different styles would be limited. When they need to make the changes to adapt on the international stage, they are often caught out.

Its amazing really now few England Internationals spread the wings.

Maybe because they played in the Greatest League in the Worlddddddddddd and don't feel the need to step down to the lower level leagues...or maybe because they just are not good enough!  But sure it's not like it has helped Wales much over the years!!!!

At least it isn't for the money that they stay in England  ;)

Ince, Owen, Woodgate, Beckham are the most recent and hardly set the world alight. Ince had a decent spell, while Beckham was much the same for his stint in Real.

Hargreaves learned the trade over in Germany and was a good player, only for injuries.

rodney trotter

Steve McManaman had a spell with Madrid too

rodney trotter

Cameroon named their initial 28 man Squad, to be cut to 23..

Goalkeepers:  Charles Itandje (Konyaspor/TUR), Ndy Assembe (Guingamp/FRA), Sammy Ndjock (Fetihespor/TUR), Loic Feudjou (Coton Sport)

Defenders: Allan Nyom (Granada/ESP), Dany Nounkeu (Besiktas/TUR), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray/TUR), Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille/FRA), Armel Kana-Biyik (Rennes/FRA), Henri Bedimo (Lyon/FRA), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (QPR/ENG), Gaetang Bong (Olympiakos/GRE)

Midfielders: Eyong Enoh (Antalyaspor/TUR), Jean II Makoun (Rennes/FRA), Joel Matip (Schalke 04/GER), Stephane Mbia (Sevilla/ESP), Landry Nguemo (Bordeaux/FRA), Alexandre Song (Barcelona/ESP), Cedric Loe (Osasuna/ESP), Edgar Sally (Lens/FRA)

Forwards: Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea/ENG), Eric Choupo Moting (Mainz/GER), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy/FRA), Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient/FRA), Achille Webo (Fenerbahce/TUR), Mohamadou Idrissou (Kaiserslautern/GER), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte-Waregem/BEL)

AQMP

Quote from: Bingo on May 13, 2014, 10:26:04 AM
Looking at the squads been announced, is England the only country that will have all its players playing in their own domestic league. I'd say Germany not be far off it but they would have a few in England and Spain.

Surely this is another negative for England, and Ireland as well at International level.

The players experience of playing at a different paced game and against different styles would be limited. When they need to make the changes to adapt on the international stage, they are often caught out.

Its amazing really now few England Internationals spread the wings.

Not all their players are "home based" Fraser Forster plays in Scotland.

AQMP

Spain's Provisional 30 man squad (I reckon Torres got in at no 30!).  Maybe a wee bit light in the forwards??

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina, David de Gea.

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Raul Albiol, Juanfran, Jordi Alba, Daniel Carvajal, Alberto Moreno, Cesar Azpilicueta, Javi Martinez.

Midfielders: Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Koke, Busquets, Cazorla, Iturraspe, Fabregas, Thiago, Mata, Silva.

Forwards: Pedro, Navas, Diego Costa, Villa, Torres, Negredo, Llorente.

rodney trotter

Some Quality, the clubs they all play for

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli), David De Gea (Manchester United)

Defenders: Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Xavi (Barcelona), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Pedro (Barcelona), Jesus Navas (Manchester City), David Silva (Manchester City), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Manchester United), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)

Forwards: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), David Villa (Atletico Madrid), Alvaro Negredo (Manchester City), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Juventus)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AQMP on May 13, 2014, 12:17:12 PM
Spain's Provisional 30 man squad (I reckon Torres got in at no 30!).  Maybe a wee bit light in the forwards??

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Raul Albiol, Juanfran, Jordi Alba, Daniel Carvajal, Alberto Moreno, Cesar Azpilicueta, Javi Martinez.

Midfielders: Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Koke, Busquets, Cazorla, Iturraspe, Fabregas, Thiago, Mata, Silva.

The folks in italics are my guesses as to who'll be left at home - any views?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AQMP

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 13, 2014, 12:22:36 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 13, 2014, 12:17:12 PM

The folks in italics are my guesses as to who'll be left at home - any views?

I'd say that's pretty close Billy though Azpilicueta may be on the edge.

magpie seanie

Feckin embarrassment of riches the Spanish have. Don't think they'll win it though.

beer baron

I'd be gobsmacked if azpilicueta didn't make the squad,I'd expect him to be 1st choice right back. They could struggle up front,Costa will need to get used to the system of play very quickly,he looked average at Best against Italy. Then you've negredo who's had a quiet 2nd half of the season and villa who's a shadow of his former self.could be a tough tournament for them. Big question is has del bosque the balls to not have xavi in his starting 11?

Bingo

That's a serious squad they have, they'd fill another squad with players to give many of the other nations a game.

Hard to know how they will gel on this occasion, hard to keep it going tournament year after year. You'd expect them to be better equip than others to play in South American conditions, sure they even have a local striker playing for them!

Under Lights

Quote from: beer baron on May 13, 2014, 12:55:13 PM
I'd be gobsmacked if azpilicueta didn't make the squad,I'd expect him to be 1st choice right back. They could struggle up front,Costa will need to get used to the system of play very quickly,he looked average at Best against Italy. Then you've negredo who's had a quiet 2nd half of the season and villa who's a shadow of his former self.could be a tough tournament for them. Big question is has del bosque the balls to not have xavi in his starting 11?

Agree with this fully. Koke actually needs to be replace him.

I'm gonna put my neck on the line and predict Spain not to get out of the group. It's a tough group. Chile will take them by surprise and Holland will be no pushovers.

Not convinced by Costa. Lot of hype about him but I think he could implode in the land of his father.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AQMP on May 12, 2014, 05:24:24 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 12, 2014, 04:14:44 PM
Thats what I'd go for although I'd probably have went for Flanagan at RB. Rate him and he can defend.                       

Hart

Johnson  Cahill    Jagielka   Baines

Gerrard       Barkley

Ox           Lallana        Sterling

Sturridge

They have to go with pace and youth.

Interesting selection Walter and not one I'd disagree with too much but there's no way in the world that Hodgson will leave out Rooney.  Primary reason is if he sent that team out and they get chinned 3-0 by Italy the media would have him on a spit within 24 hrs!

Yeah just went for this for a bit of craic and as you say there is no way he'll not select Rooney for fear of reprisals in the media.

I just think you have to go the Liverpool way if they are to have any chance. England cant retain posession, they dont even play the long ball well but one thing they have in abundance is pace. I'd pick a side to go flat out for 60 mins and replace pace with more pace!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 13, 2014, 01:07:55 PM
Thats what I'd go for although I'd probably have went for Flanagan at RB. Rate him and he can defend.                       

Hart

Gerrard       Barkley

Sturridge

Interesting selection Walter and not one I'd disagree with too much but there's no way in the world that Hodgson will leave out Rooney.  Primary reason is if he sent that team out and they get chinned 3-0 by Italy the media would have him on a spit within 24 hrs!

Yeah just went for this for a bit of craic and as you say there is no way he'll not select Rooney for fear of reprisals in the media.

I just think you have to go the Liverpool way if they are to have any chance. England cant retain posession, they dont even play the long ball well but one thing they have in abundance is pace. I'd pick a side to go flat out for 60 mins and replace pace with more pace!!

I remember when that was "pass and move"

Walter Cronc

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 13, 2014, 01:12:31 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 13, 2014, 01:07:55 PM

Hart

Gerrard       Barkley

Sturridge

I remember when that was "pass and move"

I'm not a scouser btw. I mean high intensity pressing playing on the counter.