Who will you support in the World Cup?

Started by Sidney, October 17, 2013, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Im holding out for Qatar..Septic Blatters legacy

johnneycool

Come on 'Uruguay, get the teeth into them..

I honestly think they'll do well.

screenexile

England are terrible! Kyle Walker can't defend for toffee... Cole is past it and their central defence is brittle as well. Midfield all they have is Townsend and possibly Wiltshire that are quality and the rest poor, then Rooney and that's it!

When you think of the German team that beat England it would make you wonder why England get so carried away!

ludermor

Townsend ? Quality? Based on what exactly? Must be the most headless player ive seen in a long time, he has scored a couple of screamers but is very very wasteful

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on November 21, 2013, 01:51:25 PM
England are terrible! Kyle Walker can't defend for toffee... Cole is past it and their central defence is brittle as well. Midfield all they have is Townsend and possibly Wiltshire that are quality and the rest poor, then Rooney and that's it!

When you think of the German team that beat England it would make you wonder why England get so carried away!
Are the English getting so carried away?
My impression is that the penny has finally dropped as to acceptance of where they stand in the hierarchy. I'd have them in about 7th or 8th place of the European qualifiers, not terrible but possibly a good team in the making, in transition.

ballinaman

Quote from: ludermor on November 21, 2013, 02:28:23 PM
Townsend ? Quality? Based on what exactly? Must be the most headless player ive seen in a long time, he has scored a couple of screamers but is very very wasteful
Agreed. Head down all the time....
Watched back the highlights last night of the Germany game. Reus and Götze are a different class. Germany will be in the shake up next summer, the draw could be important though, if the are drawn to play in Fortaleza or Manaus, Arena Amazônia up the north where the heat and humidity is mad, their high tempo pressing game could have them fooked after the group stage, legs could be shot.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on November 21, 2013, 02:46:10 PM
Watched back the highlights last night of the Germany game. Reus and Götze are a different class. Germany will be in the shake up next summer, the draw could be important though, if the are drawn to play in Fortaleza or Manaus, Arena Amazônia up the north where the heat and humidity is mad, their high tempo pressing game could have them fooked after the group stage, legs could be shot.

And his diving antics are absolutely Cat.

However, people talking about England getting carried away are off the mark I think. I've never heard the English so downbeat in terms of their chances.

CD

Don't agree with you re. Townsend. No better than Lennon or Walcott - 1 dimensional, head down and top defenders at the WC will have him tucked in their back pocket after 5 minutes. He looked good against a couple of poor sides recently.

Totally agree re. England's back 4. They don't have top defenders - Cahill and Jagielka wouldn't get anywhere near a top international squad. The fact that their top pick back 4 come from 3 clubs (Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton) who play such different styles doesn't help them to gel and I'd say any team they meet at the WC would definitely fancy their chances of scoring a couple against them.

At least the English media and public are more realistic in their expectations than usual and this may actually play to their advantage and take the pressure off. Hope not but.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

They have been booed off in their last two games.

If that is getting carried away, I'd hate to see them despondent.
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

The Belgians have been in poor form of late beaten at home 3-2 by Japan on Tuesday and 2-0 last week by Columbia, although Columbia were very impressive in Qualifying and I would expect them to well at the WC. Japan are decent and have some quality players like Honda, Kawaga,. Would still have expected Belguim to have enough at home with the players they have.

Main Street

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 21, 2013, 05:32:07 PM
The Belgians have been in poor form of late beaten at home 3-2 by Japan on Tuesday and 2-0 last week by Columbia, although Columbia were very impressive in Qualifying and I would expect them to well at the WC. Japan are decent and have some quality players like Honda, Kawaga,. Would still have expected Belguim to have enough at home with the players they have.
It might mean something then again it mightn't. They might be the just the  games played after the lord mayor's show. 
Colombia have a very good team, they are one of the seeds along with Belgium in the WC draw.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Main Street on November 21, 2013, 08:40:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 21, 2013, 05:32:07 PM
It might mean something then again it mightn't. They might be the just the  games played after the lord mayor's show. 
Colombia have a very good team, they are one of the seeds along with Belgium in the WC draw.

Yeah Columbia are ranked 4th in the World, the Belgians in 5th. Nothing much in it. Suppose when they were missing a player like Kompany it didn't help matters either for the 2 games.

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2013, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 21, 2013, 02:46:10 PM

And his diving antics are absolutely Cat.

However, people talking about England getting carried away are off the mark I think. I've never heard the English so downbeat in terms of their chances.

Don't worry. In the weeks leading up to the WC they will soon perk up.

Captain Obvious

With Roy Hodgson as manager its doubtful if they can perk anything up.  According to Greg Dyke the target is to win the World Cup in 2022.