Ireland's grimmest place

Started by armaghniac, October 09, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteIts unbelievable how much nicer villages and towns down south appear, places such as Sligo, Monaghan or Castleblayney all have a bit of character to them whereas every town up north are more or less designed in that same old ugly plantation format.  Lurgan and Cookstown are two examples of this, with their big long wide main street.

It is a bit more fundamental than this, Monaghan is a plantation town with a Diamond and the likes of Carrickmacross or Kingscourt have a wide main street.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bingo

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2013, 02:14:52 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 10, 2013, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 10, 2013, 01:59:15 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 01:53:22 PM
I'd class the city centre of Dublin as one of the Grimmest places going. Nothing memorable or interesting about it compared to other European capitals.
Agreed. Saw a bird eating garlic cheese chips with her hands on Harcourt street at 5am last Sunday morning. Grim isn't the word....

She turn you down?
Mutual agreement if I can recall correctly, I was going to leave it slide if it was just curry chips...but garlic cheese chips...c'mon like..

I'd guess she wasn't the type to share her food either.

Worst I seen one night years ago was a drunken culchie type eat a snack box, left the savaged snack box sitting and a bird came along and start eating what was left of the chicken. Took me years to eat a snack box after that.

You ruled out the snack box but I notice you didn't rule out the 'drunken culchie type'.  ;)

They where never ruled in, it was a male drunken culchie type.

deiseach

Four pages in and not one mention of Coppers? Bad form.

Apparently so

Geoff Tipps

Club Rossa

Moortown.Leaving Ardboe and heading down over Duff's hill is a journey no man should have to make.Only for the football I would never be in it.

armaghniac

6 county planning policy can grimify places
e.g Greencastle Co Antrim, (not the Tyrone version which is probably wonderful).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2013, 01:57:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2013, 01:03:59 PM
I'd describe the majority of NI's towns and villages as quite grim. You've got those places like Newbuildings and Dervock, in which it seems the locals are so so inbred they would happily build a 20 foot concrete wall around. Then there's the likes of Middletown, Rathfriland and Comber, which look like places time has forgot; made worse by it being an especially grey and drab period of time when they were forgotten.

Newry, Portadown, Derry, Lurgan, Omagh, Cookstown, Lisburn, Belfast. All grotty and suffer a general lack of vision, consistency and investment.

I suppose villages are a different kettle of fish, but the like of Middletown, Derrynoose, Newbuildings, Donemana, Garvagh, Fintona, Newtonstewart, Augher, Plumbridge, Coalisland would depress the life out of you if you lived there.  Its unbelievable how much nicer villages and towns down south appear, places such as Sligo, Monaghan or Castleblayney all have a bit of character to them whereas every town up north are more or less designed in that same old ugly plantation format.  Lurgan and Cookstown are two examples of this, with their big long wide main street.  Portrush has to be one of the ugliest towns about.

I think this is a relatively recent development. I grew up in Castlebar and for my teens I thought it was a hole. Now don't get me wrong, I would still argue with anyone who said their hole was better, but I still thought of it that way. The lake was a great place to go as kids but it was our secret, hidden away from the rest of the world. In the 1990s they really did a good job doing the town up and in the last 10 years the place is completely unrecognisable from the hole of my youth. They built great playgrounds for kids at the lake, completely opened it all up for everyone and created a lovely walk, run or cycle around part of the lake. I believe they are looking into connecting it to Westport and the Greenway. That would be a fantastic resource.

But if you said they have done a good job with a lot of towns/village in the south I would have to agree.

Castlebar was a right kip when I was younger, it did a great job during the boom in redeveloping.
Ballina went down hill in the 2000s and was a right kip for a long time, looks to be getting back on its feet

Swinford is depressing with not a lot going for it

Charlestown is just full of c**ts
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM
...Fintona, Newtonstewart, Augher, Plumbridge...

I don't see much wrong with these places. Very few painted kerbs or flags on show. No gettos or big bland housing estates.. Plumbridge had the lowest crime rates in the North not so long ago.
The bypass of Newtown helped it, with less traffic destroying it. Must be a nice village you live in.

Rois

I actually think Plumbridge is one of the prettiest villages we have!  With it's little bridge and old fashioned buildings, it has a Postman Pat charm about it. 

rrhf

Its pretty alright but it produces more postmen than footballers. 

Franko

Bettystown (which has most of the required natural features to be quite a nice place) is a complete kip of a place.

The Worker

Saffrongael

Quote from: The Worker on October 10, 2013, 06:44:53 PM
Crumlin, co. antrim

Didn't think there was much wrong with Crumlin anytime I was in it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come