Ireland's grimmest place

Started by armaghniac, October 09, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

There are lots of kips that much is established. One that is personal to me is that when I take the boat from Holyhead (now that is a kip) and drive up from Dublin I am thinking to myself look how much development there has been in my years away. The motorway cuts the Dublin journey time in half and i'd be thinking back to the days when I would be with my father in the wagon and having to stop at 3 customs points, which could, on a bad day, add hours to the journey. Then without a blink you cross into the north and take the road for Armagh. That estate on the Armagh road just outside of Newry on the right hand side inspires a mixture of head scratching amusement and amazement with the painted kerbs, uvf flags, Scottish flags etc. But you are quickly passed it. About 8 miles on you hit the next time warp Markethill which for those that don't know is a loyalist enclave parked on the side of the Newry road. There are more union jacks than the Dubs could ever have waved, the message is clear - we don't want a fenian about the place.
I'm sure there are much worse places but these two depress me personally. The need to mark out territory like feral cats is only serving to hinder themselves and depressingly it shows no sign of abating. At Christmas I think I will be off the motorway across above Ardee and up that way. Actually jesus no Keady is on that route, Markethill it is.

stibhan

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.