Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Biff

I'll be in Croke Park along with Young Biff.  I went to most of the games in the 80's and 90's and junior has been to the last few series in Ireland.  It's great to be able to support an Ireland team when we have no doubt that they will put in a performance full of skill and genuine effort (unlike some other codes).

To those who dont like it - that's your prerogative but I would not extend that privilege to running the IR fans down.

Think of how so many players support the IR Series.  If they are game for the challenge, then I am game to show them some support in return.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to try to do some traditional badger-baiting on the BigFooty forum.

Come on Ireland.
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Bingo

The young lad is mad keen to head up to this, the Ads on the telly has got his attention. He went to the last one in Croker and remembers it well.

Might head to second game in Dublin as up in the capital that day anyway.

Can take it or leave it and wouldn't expect a classic game of free flowing football but sure the young lad will be happy to support Ireland for the day.

rodney trotter

Don't know why so many have a problem with it. It's something different. The are guaranteed good crowds, Breffni will be a sell out on Saturday.

Railway Cup final was held in Croke Park earlier  this year ,and they had time to advertise it as there was no International Rules last year, it got a dire crowd of less then 2,000...

Rossfan

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2013, 01:48:59 PM
Don't know why so many have a problem with it. It's something different.
Your second sentence probably explains why.
The backwoods begrudgers don't like anything different. Mention the words " new"  or "change" to them and it sends them into convulsions of terror.
Notice how everything they don't like is always "shite".
Anyway they won't be missed at either venue.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

My issues with it are

a) IMO it's a horrible game, and the tackling and pseudo soccer arsing about looks ridiculous.
b) I hate the fact that we are putting amateur players in the position where they can be hurt by professional athletes, who at times have looked like hurting the Irish lads was their sole intention.

Other than that I'm oblivious to it. Anyone who watches it and likes it, fair play. Different Strokes and all that. I just don't understand why the GAA feels the need to promote a bastardised game which is neither fish nor fowl, and puts our players at risk to boot.

Does that make me a backwoods man? I hadn't considered myself as such, but sure maybe it does. If it does then so be it.

rodney trotter

From the recent few series the OTT hits have gone from it and they just play the game.

AZOffaly

Yeah, maybe so. But my understanding from reading stuff here is that the Aussies seem to have lost interest in it since the headhunting was removed. If that's the case, it sort of reinforces point a. They don't seem enamoured with it either.

rodney trotter

Yeah, they went with a different approach this year with the indigenous team. Although it seemed to have been indigenous players who have been the better players for the Australians in recent years. They should be fairly competitive , hopefully

AZOffaly

Fair enough, maybe I'll take a look at it. If it became a free flowing game then it might be worth supporting. The bits that I hate, which stick in my mind, are the ridiculous sight of inter county footballers dribbling soccer style to avoid being hit by one of those big physical tackles, which I think makes the game look silly and also I still feel anger and disgust at our organisation for putting the players in harms way like the last series I watched, where Graham Geraghty got absolutely mugged. That was the day I gave up on it.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2013, 02:33:14 PM
My issues with it are

a) IMO it's a horrible game, and the tackling and pseudo soccer arsing about looks ridiculous.
b) I hate the fact that we are putting amateur players in the position where they can be hurt by professional athletes, who at times have looked like hurting the Irish lads was their sole intention.

Other than that I'm oblivious to it. Anyone who watches it and likes it, fair play. Different Strokes and all that. I just don't understand why the GAA feels the need to promote a bastardised game which is neither fish nor fowl, and puts our players at risk to boot.

Does that make me a backwoods man? I hadn't considered myself as such, but sure maybe it does. If it does then so be it.
Wouldn't have had you in mind AZ.
Anyway you've stated your reasons , intelligently and logically why you're not a fan.
I was thinking of the " "load of crap" "dung" "shite" "hope they get their jaws broken" type of stuff whenever this comes up.
Why don't they just ignore the thread FFS??
As for me I like it up to a point and once every 3 years makes it a novelty event. Also it gives the GAA another month of coverage in the daily papers/RTE and saves us from wall to wall soccer and rugby for one month at least. As well it gives Footballers a chance to represent the Country.
Like Christmas/Bonfire night/St Patricks Day etc once in a while is grand but wouldn't want to watch it every week or anything like that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

The Australian Squad that was named last week, Adam Goodes not able to play but some big name AFL players included

LANCE Franklin, Daniel Wells, Steven Motlop and Lindsay Thomas headline the Indigenous Australian Rules team that will take on Ireland later this month.

The AFL announced the Indigenous team ahead of its departure this Saturday for the International Rules Series in Ireland.

Sydney Swans great Michael O'Loughlin will coach the Indigenous team, with support from a senior coaching panel comprising Rodney Eade, Tadhg Kennelly and Andrew McLeod.

The International Rules Series will be contested over two Test matches, at Breffni Park in Cavan on October 19 and Dublin at Croke Park on October 26.

O'Loughlin confirmed on Tuesday Franklin would miss the second Test, having committed to returning home for the wedding of former Hawthorn teammate Brent Guerra on the same day.

"We can't wait to chuck that (Australian) jumper on and I know Buddy's extremely excited about it. We'll take Buddy anyway we can get him," O'Loughlin told AFL.com.au's Gillette Trade Radio.

"It's been one of those things where the rest of the players have been looking forward to playing with him.

"Obviously, being such a high-profile player himself I think it's going to be an amazing experience, not just for the team but for Buddy as well."

Supported by Coles and the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO), the Indigenous team will train in Melbourne on Friday.

AFL football operations manager Mark Evans said this year's International Rules Series was a historic one.

"The series is a fantastic opportunity for the Indigenous All-Stars to come together as a team and to represent Australia for the first time in the International Rules series against Ireland," Evans said.

In the most recent series in Ireland in 2010, Australia secured a 2-0 victory under former coach Mick Malthouse, before losing 2-0 in Australia in 2011.

Indigenous Australian Rules team:

•Tony Armstrong (Sydney Swans)
•Dominic Barry (Melbourne)
•Eddie Betts (Adelaide)
•Alwyn Davey (Essendon)
•Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
•Shaun Edwards (GWS)
•Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (Adelaide)
•Lance Franklin
•Jarrod Harbrow (Gold Coast)
•Joshua Hill (West Coast)
•Leroy Jetta (Essendon)
•Lewis Jetta (Sydney Swans)
•Nathan Lovett-Murray (Essendon)
•Ashley McGrath (Brisbane Lions)
•Steven Motlop (Geelong)
•Jake Neade (Port Adelaide)
•Mathew Stokes (Geelong)
•Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne)
•Sharrod Wellingham (West Coast)
•Daniel Wells (North Melbourne)
•Christopher Yarran (Carlton

Schkite

Earley has announced his match day panel:

Michael Murphy, Donegal - CAPTAIN
Aidan Walsh, Cork - VICE CAPTAIN
Paddy O' Rourke, Meath
Colm Begley, Laois
Colm Boyle, Mayo
Ciaran Byrne, Louth
Sean Cavanagh, Tyrone
Paul Conroy, Galway
Paul Flynn, Dublin
Finian Hanley, Galway
Lee Keegan, Mayo
Ciaran Kilkenny, Dublin
Paddy McBrearty, Donegal
Jack McCaffrey, Dublin
Neil McGee, Donegal
Chrissy McKaigue, Derry
Kevin McLoughlin, Mayo
Conor McManus, Monaghan
Ross Munnelly, Laois
Aidan O'Shea, Mayo
Ciarán Sheehan, Cork
Michael Shields, Cork
Zach Tuohy, Carlton & Laois

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Biff on October 14, 2013, 11:33:15 AM
I'll be in Croke Park along with Young Biff.  I went to most of the games in the 80's and 90's and junior has been to the last few series in Ireland.  It's great to be able to support an Ireland team when we have no doubt that they will put in a performance full of skill and genuine effort (unlike some other codes).

To those who dont like it - that's your prerogative but I would not extend that privilege to running the IR fans down.

Think of how so many players support the IR Series.  If they are game for the challenge, then I am game to show them some support in return.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to try to do some traditional badger-baiting on the BigFooty forum.

Come on Ireland.

What rock did you crawl out from under? Jez, you compare this lame excuse for international football to the real stuff? This is no world cup qualifier or a six nations match. Here is some home truths. There are no Kerry players in the squad. In fact the best player in the country Colin Copper won't go near the series. So there goes your pride argument in one foul swoop. The Aussies don't care, they had to invent this indigenous lark to try and entice a group to fulfill the fixture. It's interfering with most of these lads holidays with their family and friends. So don't give me this belittling lark about our other National teams. They are often the small fish in the big pond and more than often punch way above their weight.

rodney trotter

Darren O Sullivan had club commitments and also has to have surgery so couldn't play. Not sure about other players, Cooper played in it a long time ago and didn't feel the game was for him. Should it stop because of that? Lots of other big name players play and are keen to play.
How is it inferring with holidays, its not like they were told last week that this series was ahead. And if it was inferring that much they would go on holidays, they are  not being held at knife point to play.

Orchardman

well whatever about soccer, rugby has 10 serious international teams (13 if u wanna count the pacific island), and we are not even in the top half of that group.

Actually big miss that adam goodes isn't playing, he has been the real big name, he was brilliant in the last series over here. Don't know much about this franklin guy as havn't followed AFL as much in recent years