1 Million Voices for Irish Unity

Started by Feckitt, October 01, 2013, 10:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

I'm fed up with the 'Sinn Fein, they have gone away you know' thread, and it's moronic title.  So here is a new thread.  Not strictly a SF thread, because the cause of Irish Unity is much wider than just SF.

However, according to the latest Irish Times/MRBI poll today

FG - 26%
SF - 23%
FF - 22%
Ind/Others - 21%
LAB - 6%

According to this poll, SF is now by some considerable distance, the most popular party across Ireland, North and South.

armaghniac

All of the above parties are in favour of a United Ireland, so more like 4 Million people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2013, 10:54:57 AM
All of the above parties are in favour of a United Ireland, so more like 4 Million people.

Yep, they all at least say they are in favour of it. Just don't expect the likes of the self-proclaimed "Republican Party" or the self-proclaimed "United Ireland Party" to actually do anything to advance it though.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteJust don't expect the likes of the self-proclaimed "Republican Party" or the self-proclaimed "United Ireland Party" to actually do anything to advance it though.

I don't expect SF to do anything to advance it either, although they may waffle a bit about it.

muppet

SF is a bit like Roy Keane.

He would certainly have had a lot of supporters but probably a significantly higher number of people detested him.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2013, 11:12:26 AM
SF is a bit like Roy Keane.

He would certainly have had a lot of supporters but probably a significantly higher number of people detested him.

They remind me a bit of Roy Keane too....he was generally the best we had!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2013, 11:08:59 AM
QuoteJust don't expect the likes of the self-proclaimed "Republican Party" or the self-proclaimed "United Ireland Party" to actually do anything to advance it though.

I don't expect SF to do anything to advance it either, although they may waffle a bit about it.

Well there's never such thing as 'doing enough' for it, but what else specifically would you like to see SF do in the campaign for Irish unity?

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 11:17:40 AM

Well there's never such thing as 'doing enough' for it, but what else specifically would you like to see SF do in the campaign for Irish unity?
You do a lot of speaking up for Sinn Féin for a buck who says he's not a member. Is this the "Gerry Adams syndrome" - deny everything? ;D
It would help if SF provided some vision of how they saw an All Ireland entity operating e.g Federal, Single State, Executive or figurehead President,  arrangements for those who consider themselves Brits in the 6 Cos etc etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 11:14:56 AM
They remind me a bit of Roy Keane too....he was generally the best we had!

George Best was undoubtedly the best you had Nally and in my opinion Liam Brady was our best.

Just to avoid confusion, Roy Keane didn't play for your lot.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 11:17:40 AM

You do a lot of speaking up for Sinn Féin for a buck who says he's not a member. Is this the "Gerry Adams syndrome" - deny everything? ;D
It would help if SF provided some vision of how they saw an All Ireland entity operating e.g Federal, Single State, Executive or figurehead President,  arrangements for those who consider themselves Brits in the 6 Cos etc etc.

I think they're the best of the bunch by quite some distance, but I disagree with them on some things and as such I am not a member. I really am sorry if that is a disappointment to you. SF have laid out how they would like a United Ireland to operate and while I'd agree that they need to elaborate on this, it is abundantly clear to me that their main motive in recent times is to engage others in the discussion of how it should operate, rather than just arguing the case for their own version. The fact that they organised Uniting Ireland conferences in every corner of Ireland and in England and the USA in the past year or two, and invited representatives from all sections, is testament to that. They have also been repeatedly stressing that the aim of provoking such discussions is to ensure unionist inclusion and engagement. Aside from that, they tend to keep it on the agenda as much as possible.

I'd take that approach any day over Micheal "down here in the Republic" Martin, and Enda "not interested in a United Ireland yet" Kenny and their respective parties of "republicans".

armaghniac

QuoteSF have laid out how they would like a United Ireland to operate and while I'd agree that they need to elaborate on this, it is abundantly clear to me that their main motive in recent times is to engage others in the discussion of how it should operate, rather than just arguing the case for their own version.

The obstacle to a United Ireland is not how it will operate, this can be sorted. Nor is the obstacle the attitude of people in the 26 counties or the parties they vote for. The obstacle is that the 6 counties are an economic sink, where public expenditure greatly exceeds taxation raised. SF has done nothing to reduce public expenditure in the 6 counties nor put forward any useful ideas for increasing economic activity. There is no evidence whatsoever that SF in the 6 counties has awareness of the need for a strategy to reduce public expenditure, they've never spoken about it or produced policies in this direction. They have some ideas for increasing economic activity, but their anti-multinational stances, anti-fracking and so on is going in the opposite direction.

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2013, 01:20:05 PM
QuoteSF have laid out how they would like a United Ireland to operate and while I'd agree that they need to elaborate on this, it is abundantly clear to me that their main motive in recent times is to engage others in the discussion of how it should operate, rather than just arguing the case for their own version.

The obstacle to a United Ireland is not how it will operate, this can be sorted. Nor is the obstacle the attitude of people in the 26 counties or the parties they vote for. The obstacle is that the 6 counties are an economic sink, where public expenditure greatly exceeds taxation raised. SF has done nothing to reduce public expenditure in the 6 counties nor put forward any useful ideas for increasing economic activity. There is no evidence whatsoever that SF in the 6 counties has awareness of the need for a strategy to reduce public expenditure, they've never spoken about it or produced policies in this direction. They have some ideas for increasing economic activity, but their anti-multinational stances, anti-fracking and so on is going in the opposite direction.
SF are just like any other opposition party in that regard. Nothing to be gained by tackling difficult questions, so just give soundbytes for the populist issues, where its easy to tell people what they want to hear.

QuoteFG - 26%
SF - 23%
FF - 22%
Ind/Others - 21%
LAB - 6%

A really interesting poll would be the question "Which party do you dislike the most / least likely to vote for?".
SF would right up there I'd imagine, although they wouldnt be the clear leaders they would have been prior to 2008.
I'd bet Labour would come bottom of that pile too!
As usual with the minority party in a government, they've become pretty much irrelevant. They knew they would too. At least the few decisionmakers will have their big ministerial pensions to comfort themselves when they get slaughtered in the next election.

seafoid

I'd like to see how the United Ireland would be funded.
Fair play to the Brits for sponsoring NI, btw.

armaghniac

QuoteFG - 26%
SF - 23%
FF - 22%
Ind/Others - 21%
LAB - 6%

It's a bit like a poll to choose between a Lada, Skoda, Dacia and a Hillman. You'd have to choose one, but it isn't much a of a choice. The calibre of politician in this country is truly sad.

supersarsfields

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2013, 01:48:04 PM
I'd like to see how the United Ireland would be funded.
Fair play to the Brits for sponsoring NI, btw.

As opposed to the EU support of ROI.