GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2013, 01:58:50 PM
Letting the GPA into the tent was the beginning of the end of the GAA as we know it.

Oh dear !!! :-[
They said the same about abolishing Rule 27, Rule 21, Rule 42 and no doubt they also said it about abolishing the point posts, reducing numbers from 21 a side, doing away with sideline throws, Down wearing black shorts( they did!!!), goalkeepers wearing a different jersey, throwing in the ball among the 4 midfielders only, Eliz Windsor visiting Croke Park etc etc.
The FRC will have some document out soon about re structuring inter Co Championships/calendar so let's see what the membership will do then.
Remember it wasn't the GPA ( God Bless them ) whp reintroduced replays for Provincial and 1st Round Senior Championships  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

All of those reforms were carried out within the structures of the GAA, voted upon and agreed upon. A completely separate game outside the association's structures is a new development that we should all be concerned about.

And no, I'm not "waking up in a blind panic about it every morning."

Zulu

QuoteA completely separate game outside the association's structures is a new development that we should all be concerned about.

Really? A harmless modified version of hurling that the GAA know about and apparently support, can't see the big deal myself.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2013, 06:47:40 PM
QuoteA completely separate game outside the association's structures is a new development that we should all be concerned about.

Really? A harmless modified version of hurling that the GAA know about and apparently support, can't see the big deal myself.

There are thousands of kids that play in the CYC tournament every year in rotating cities across North America - does that tournament get the exposure that this novelty game did?

Zulu

Nope, nor does the All British Championships that our underage team competed in last summer but that's a different argument. This 11 a side thing is a waste of time and money IMO but so is a lot of what passes for GAA international games development and that's because the GAA isn't serious about it.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2013, 02:46:42 PM
Letting the GPA into the tent was the beginning of the end of the GAA as we know it.

Oh dear !!! :-[
They said the same about abolishing Rule 27, Rule 21, Rule 42 and no doubt they also said it about abolishing the point posts, reducing numbers from 21 a side, doing away with sideline throws, Down wearing black shorts( they did!!!), goalkeepers wearing a different jersey, throwing in the ball among the 4 midfielders only, Eliz Windsor visiting Croke Park etc etc.
The FRC will have some document out soon about re structuring inter Co Championships/calendar so let's see what the membership will do then.
Remember it wasn't the GPA ( God Bless them ) whp reintroduced replays for Provincial and 1st Round Senior Championships  ;)

My oul lad doesn't like Down for this reason!! Any time I mention them to him, he goes into a rage about them wearing 'black togs'. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

I presume he doesn't like our laidíns wearing blue ones since 1979 either  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2013, 08:16:15 PM
Nope, nor does the All British Championships that our underage team competed in last summer but that's a different argument. This 11 a side thing is a waste of time and money IMO but so is a lot of what passes for GAA international games development and that's because the GAA isn't serious about it.

Well they should be - its seems very patronising when you see people come out and give us a pat on the head and say "good work" when they really don't give a damn

Zulu

I agree 100%, but don't get your knickers in a twist over this old nonsense. Those of us involved in the promotion of the GAA internationally need to be concerned about real issues and not promo opportunities like this 11 a side rubbish. The only players that matter internationally are the 6 - 12 year olds IMO, these are the ones that, if brought through, could be as good (and better) than those at home. It's only when we start developing players of the quality of home grown ones that we truly have an internationally GAA worth talking about.

Eamonnca1

Oh boy. Is this the most embarrassing article ever written?  How much do you reckon they paid him to write this?

QuoteHow the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 07:27 AM

It was an exceptional night at the Gaelic Players Association awards at the New York Athletic Club on Thursday last.

The GPA has quickly become a major force both in Ireland and America and the 500 who attended the organization's second annual dinner was adequate proof of that.

There were Wall Street titans, construction magnates, community leaders, top sportsmen and a star-studded delegation from Ireland, including leading members from this year's All-Ireland winners from Dublin and Clare.

The GPA has transformed the lives of many young men and women in Ireland. It offers a sounding board and outreach for players and young men and women in trouble.

In an era where suicide and depression and such issues have become major problems in the Emerald Isle their work is desperately important.

Much of their work is with elite former players who find it very hard to adjust when the cheering stops. Unlike in America, where retired sports stars have massive nest eggs thanks to the huge contracts they got as players, Irish players are amateurs and face into uncertain futures after giving their lives to Gaelic games.

On the day of the dinner there were two stories in the Irish newspapers, one involving a player recovering from a desperate gambling addiction with the help of the GPA, the other about a former top player who discovered during a heart scan, first introduced for all players thanks to GPA pressure, that he needed immediate major bypass surgery.

Such stories are merely the tip of the iceberg for the GPA and its top team is led by Cork hurling legend Donal Og Cusack and former Dublin star Dessie Farrell.

Here in America the GPA first made an impression last year when they volunteered teams of workers in the Rockaways to help with the recovery from Superstorm Sandy.

Their work was widely praised, including an extraordinary mention by President Obama during his speech at the White House during the St. Patrick's period.

The honorees on the night were Ciaran Murray CEO of ICON, a major Irish drug company that has helped out GPA enormously and myself.

I told my story of how the GAA helped me start my life in America. When I came here in the late '70s I had no immediate relatives to go to.

But when I got off the plane I had a job, a bed and group of friends thanks to the St. Mel's Club in Chicago and its chairman, Kerry man Joe Gleeson.

The same thing happened when I moved to San Francisco, where the San Francisco Gaels helped set up my life there for six wonderful years.

Without the GAA I would never have been able to put together the Irish network that eventually helped me start my career in publishing.

My story is a very common one concerning Irish lads coming to America looking for that first, and most vital, leg-ups.

Today the very same thing is happening every summer. Wherever the young Irish go they still find in the GAA a welcome home and a chance at a new experience.

The GPA is the Delta Force of the GAA;D reaching out and extending its boundaries and informing its decision-making in key and important ways.

It was great to attend their event, even better to be an honoree this year. The GPA is simply the best new organization out of Ireland in a very long time.

Irish Central

The only thing missing is a statement about how well endowed Dessie Farrell is. I dare you to click on the article and check out the astroturf comment at the bottom. Interesting insight into how these people view themselves.

blanketattack

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 21, 2013, 07:46:13 AM
QuoteHow the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 07:27 AM

It was an exceptional night at the Gaelic Players Association awards at the New York Athletic Club on Thursday last.

The GPA has quickly become a major force both in Ireland and America and the 500 who attended the organization's second annual dinner was adequate proof of that.

There were Wall Street titans, construction magnates, community leaders, top sportsmen and a star-studded delegation from Ireland, including leading members from this year's All-Ireland winners from Dublin and Clare.

The GPA has transformed the lives of many young men and women in Ireland. It offers a sounding board and outreach for players and young men and women in trouble.

In an era where suicide and depression and such issues have become major problems in the Emerald Isle their work is desperately important.

Much of their work is with elite former players who find it very hard to adjust when the cheering stops. Unlike in America, where retired sports stars have massive nest eggs thanks to the huge contracts they got as players, Irish players are amateurs and face into uncertain futures after giving their lives to Gaelic games.

On the day of the dinner there were two stories in the Irish newspapers, one involving a player recovering from a desperate gambling addiction with the help of the GPA, the other about a former top player who discovered during a heart scan, first introduced for all players thanks to GPA pressure, that he needed immediate major bypass surgery.

Such stories are merely the tip of the iceberg for the GPA and its top team is led by Cork hurling legend Donal Og Cusack and former Dublin star Dessie Farrell.

Here in America the GPA first made an impression last year when they volunteered teams of workers in the Rockaways to help with the recovery from Superstorm Sandy.

Their work was widely praised, including an extraordinary mention by President Obama during his speech at the White House during the St. Patrick's period.

The honorees on the night were Ciaran Murray CEO of ICON, a major Irish drug company that has helped out GPA enormously and myself.

I told my story of how the GAA helped me start my life in America. When I came here in the late '70s I had no immediate relatives to go to.

But when I got off the plane I had a job, a bed and group of friends thanks to the St. Mel's Club in Chicago and its chairman, Kerry man Joe Gleeson.

The same thing happened when I moved to San Francisco, where the San Francisco Gaels helped set up my life there for six wonderful years.

Without the GAA I would never have been able to put together the Irish network that eventually helped me start my career in publishing.

My story is a very common one concerning Irish lads coming to America looking for that first, and most vital, leg-ups.

Today the very same thing is happening every summer. Wherever the young Irish go they still find in the GAA a welcome home and a chance at a new experience.

The GPA is the Delta Force of the GAA,  ;D reaching out and extending its boundaries and informing its decision-making in key and important ways.

It was great to attend their event, even better to be an honoree this year. The GPA is simply the best new organization out of Ireland in a very long time.

Irish Central

In some ways the GAA has a lot to answer for!

Bingo

Letting the GPA into the tent was the beginning of the end of the GAA as we know it. They shouldn't have been entertained. If lads don't want to play county football or hurling off with them. Someone else will take their place.

The intercounty game is destroying the organisation as a whole and the intercounty agenda is driven by the GPA. Bloody sicken my hole the whole lot of them.

Well put. I was chatting with a recent former intercounty player and someone who would have dealt with the GPA in a few things. He was very frank in his cricticism of them - purely motivated by money and to make money for the elite players.

Said they'd happily relegate the club game further to improve the needs of their members. Also said that the work put into the game by Intercounty players is way overstated by the media and there are many club players, other amateurs playing other sports who put in as much without the same support and resources in place.

He actually believes its time that the clubs formed their own body to represent themselves (players as well) as going through the current structures would get nowhere as Intercounty managers are controlling county boards.

It was interesting to see it from someone who i'd have thought be a GPA loyalist.

Bensars

Quote from: Bingo on November 21, 2013, 09:41:30 AM
Letting the GPA into the tent was the beginning of the end of the GAA as we know it. They shouldn't have been entertained. If lads don't want to play county football or hurling off with them. Someone else will take their place.

The intercounty game is destroying the organisation as a whole and the intercounty agenda is driven by the GPA. Bloody sicken my hole the whole lot of them.

Well put. I was chatting with a recent former intercounty player and someone who would have dealt with the GPA in a few things. He was very frank in his cricticism of them - purely motivated by money and to make money for the elite players.

Said they'd happily relegate the club game further to improve the needs of their members. Also said that the work put into the game by Intercounty players is way overstated by the media and there are many club players, other amateurs playing other sports who put in as much without the same support and resources in place.

He actually believes its time that the clubs formed their own body to represent themselves (players as well) as going through the current structures would get nowhere as Intercounty managers are controlling county boards.

It was interesting to see it from someone who i'd have thought be a GPA loyalist.

In the case you outlined above Bingo, that particular "GPA loyalist" has disembarked from the gravy train.

It was always going to be an elitist organisation. Whats happening now, and over the last couple of years, the first generation whom benefited from the "perks" are finishing their careers are now realising they are surplus to requirements.  Its funny how peoples attitudes change once they are on the outside  looking in.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on November 21, 2013, 09:41:30 AM

The whole thing is going to fragment with the intercounty game (GPA) going one way and the rest (GAA) going another. The top players will be snapped up for the formerly county teams (there will be 10-15 franchises in each code, less in hurling I'd say) and officially paid (as opposed to the makey uppy "extra expenses" sham that is in place at present) and the club scene will probably benefit from having more weekend to play games. I'm reconciled to it. It will be sad to lose the best players from your club but there will be some benefits for clubs.

Zulu's response is typical of the GPA outlook. Force people to only play one grade. Abandon tradition. This is (supposedly) an amateur organisation run by volunteers. As for developing internationally interesting that anyone over 12 is deemed a lost case. I suspect this interest in developing overseas is again all about developing elite talent only to help the pro game that has always been the GPA's end game.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2013, 10:25:38 AM
[The whole thing is going to fragment with the intercounty game (GPA) going one way and the rest (GAA) going another. The top players will be snapped up for the formerly county teams (there will be 10-15 franchises in each code, less in hurling I'd say) and officially paid (as opposed to the makey uppy "extra expenses" sham that is in place at present) and the club scene will probably benefit from having more weekend to play games. I'm reconciled to it. It will be sad to lose the best players from your club but there will be some benefits for clubs.

Zulu's response is typical of the GPA outlook. Force people to only play one grade. Abandon tradition. This is (supposedly) an amateur organisation run by volunteers. As for developing internationally interesting that anyone over 12 is deemed a lost case. I suspect this interest in developing overseas is again all about developing elite talent only to help the pro game that has always been the GPA's end game.

Your first scenerio is what they would possibly envisage but I could only see it lasting a few years.

The first big fall out would be when a player gets cut from the panel. Suddenly you've have a players in the media claiming how harshly they've been treated, talking about law cases for unfair dismissal etc. Then you've have players going straight into these set ups, playing there for a few years and then been dumped out and finding themselves careerless and on the outside of everything.

From a spectator point of view you can see the interest falling off for professional sets ups - the connection between your current county player and your normal spectator would be lost - the team would no longer be representing them. We already see how lukewarm that spectators hold for collective teams - Railway Cup, Sigerson, International game. No real hunger to attend these games.

The figures attending club games (in ulster anyway, Cork Hurling final etc) show that there is a real opportunity there and the strong attachment to the club game still exists.

Financially as well, its a whole new ball game to go down the other route and they would need the international element - sky TV for example.