GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

This looks and reads like a Notre Dame release. Maybe from UND.com? 5,000 seems optimistic from what I heard, but at least it was a good entertaining game by all accounts.  It is gas the way we promote our games by not actually playing our games :D

AZOffaly

I was wrong, it's from the Irish Central, Niall O'Dowd, you'd hear him on the radio a good bit, especially about Irish American immigration issues.

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/periscope/the-day-irish-hurling-and-history-came-to-notre-dame-228524271.html

Hardy

Thanks AZ. Niall was in my school.

Eamonnca1

Reads like a regurgitated GPA press release

RealSpiritof98

Any videos? nowt on you tube as yet.

antoinse

I believe RTE have a copy of the game so expect to see it soon

Minder

Quote from: antoinse on October 22, 2013, 06:21:43 PM
I believe RTE have a copy of the game so expect to see it soon

Marty Morrissey was there so there should be some sort of coverage, hopefully not of Marty off duty.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zulu

Donal O'Grady's thoughts on it...............

Super Eleven can fulfil American dream for GAA
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
The home of the famed University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana was an unlikely venue for a piece of hurling history over the weekend.

By Donal O'Grady
Hurling is an unique spectacle and its power, passion and skill has the capacity to attract a worldwide audience.

Now the GAA/GPA have looked at internationalising hurling and winning new supporters by introducing a form of the game that will travel globally.

Super Eleven is the result of their work.

Teams comprise of 11 players and the dimensions conform in size to a normal soccer or lacrosse pitch. The availability of GAA pitches worldwide is a resource that most overseas hurling clubs struggle to achieve.

But there are lacrosse pitches across the United States and soccer pitches throughout the world that can easily double as Super Eleven pitches.

On Saturday in the Arlotta Stadium, the home of lacrosse in Notre Dame, teams representing the Munster and Leinster Championships served up a tremendous game of power, passion and skill.

It was enthusiastically received by spectators. Many emigrants, involved in hurling clubs in the USA, were hugely impressed with the spectacle.

But it was the reaction of US citizens who had never seen hurling before which was most pleasing.

Later that evening, I was seated alongside a couple from Ohio at the Notre Dame/USC football game, who had, by their own admission, attended the Super Elevens out of curiosity.

They told me that "they were blown away by the action" and they want to see and learn more about the game.

On the morning of the match, Dessie Farrell and Donal Óg Cusack made a presentation on hurling to the prestigious Ireland Council of Notre Dame, who oversee the biggest university faculty of Irish Studies worldwide.

Notre Dame see themselves as an Irish university and this game boosted the relationship between this great institution and Ireland, building on the links established down through the generations.

GAA president Liam O'Neill has endorsed the new format and spoke encouragingly on this trip of the need for the GAA/GPA to further the links with international outlets and to cater for their needs.

This new game, he felt would go a long way to achieve those goals in the immediate future.

There is no doubt that a shortened format will appeal hugely to units of the GAA abroad. The game can be adapted to a nine-a-side, 11-a-side or 13-a-side depending on the pitch sizes, a huge plus given the difficulties in sourcing full-sized pitches abroad.

The players involved last weekend, and in the previous trials, have expressed a huge interest in the concept. Those on this trip insisted on preparing for the game in Notre Dame as they would have for a regular championship game here at home. There were no late nights and they abstained from alcohol, which showed a huge commitment to giving a top level performance for the American audience.

But does the game have a future? Without doubt — and not just abroad. It is an ideal game to foster the skill level and improve standards in the non-traditional hurling counties.

Four regional teams, such as Connacht (without Galway) could take on a Down-Antrim-Armagh-Monaghan combination while a grouping from outside the elite counties of Leinster could play a Carlow\Kerry combination. Guest players from the so-called stronger counties with experience of playing this game could supplement the squads, thereby improving standards all round.

The games could be played when there is no inter-county activity. This would give some players extra exposure to high quality contests in the "weaker counties" and further develop the 15-a side game.

Developing it further is key. Whether it is kept exclusively for overseas involvement or whether the GAA can find a slot for it in their domestic calendar (the interprovincial series comes to mind), the game is here to stay.

It has the potential to satisfy the hurling needs of all age groups even moving up to the veteran level in winter leagues. But the major challenge is moving it on to the next level over the next few months.

It will thrive if given the right support. And I got the sense in this Irish university at the weekend that a new glorious chapter was being unveiled in the GAA's proud history.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

macdanger2

It was on Nationwide during the week, prob still available on RTE player

Hardy

Quote from: cornerback on November 08, 2013, 09:56:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suK__krLyR4

What's that ball they're using?

A few oul' captions would have been no harm, to let us know who the talking heads were.

Had to laugh at the two lads taking the piss out of Marty and he taking it seriously.

Hound

Even the begrudgers can't begrudge the help the GPA gives to the likes of Shane McAnarney. Hadn't heard about his health issues but great that he seems to be on the mend.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-remember-chasing-lads-at-training-up-the-hill-of-tara-anything-could-have-happened-i-could-have-keeled-over-29753022.html

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on November 14, 2013, 08:43:03 AM
Even the begrudgers can't begrudge the help the GPA gives to the likes of Shane McAnarney. Hadn't heard about his health issues but great that he seems to be on the mend.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-remember-chasing-lads-at-training-up-the-hill-of-tara-anything-could-have-happened-i-could-have-keeled-over-29753022.html

What a cheap way to deal with such a topic.

Eamonnca1

"Begrudgers" my ass. The GPA does a fine job when they stick to their brief of player welfare. It's when they exceed their brief, try to stick their oar into the GAA's job of games promotion, and completely bypass the structures of the GAA that I have a problem with.

DuffleKing

I wasn't aware the promotion of our games was the sovereign domain of an annointed few. What level do you need to reach in the hierarchy before you are permitted to have an idea?

The hurling 11s initiative looked spot on to me. 10 odd generations of the same approach made no headway so why not try something different?

I have to say, this thread and its tone bewilders me.