GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on October 17, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2013, 12:27:58 PM
, I don't promote elitism,
The GAA do by having competitive games where winners are given medals and cups etc.
The public do by going in their thousands to inter County games while in the main ignoring the 98% of club non elite.
Every organisation promotes elitism and the pursuit of excellence as otherwise we'd all be living in caves and our sport would be kicking a stone along the ground.

The majority of spectators during the championship would be involved in some capacity in their club I would think. I would also suggest that near enough all of the league attenders would be involved with their clubs.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

Not sure there's any point rehashing this argument now but I have no problem with the concept of paying players, however, it can't be afforded and there isn't enough will within the GAA to push it forward. Professionalism isn't right for the GAA and I'd be against paying players simply because of 'effort', especially when it is a reward based on a quirk of geography for some.

In saying that, the level of paranoia and the way some folks read something underhand into almost every GPA statement is tiresome to say the least. It reminds me of history books where you read about wars fought, partially, because people thought they knew what the other sides intentions really were and not what they actually were.

Zulu

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 17, 2013, 01:44:03 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 17, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2013, 12:27:58 PM
, I don't promote elitism,
The GAA do by having competitive games where winners are given medals and cups etc.
The public do by going in their thousands to inter County games while in the main ignoring the 98% of club non elite.
Every organisation promotes elitism and the pursuit of excellence as otherwise we'd all be living in caves and our sport would be kicking a stone along the ground.

The majority of spectators during the championship would be involved in some capacity in their club I would think.
I would also suggest that near enough all of the league attenders would be involved with their clubs.

I would say that's almost certainly not true, certainly not at the 40K+ crowds.

rrhf

Quote from: Hound on October 17, 2013, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
What grates with me is the tone of almost all GPA utterances. Everything is about the inter county player.

That's just bizarre AZ.

The GPA was set up for intercounty players. From Day 1. Never any pretence or utterance otherwise. That what it is, a representative body for intercounty players. So of course all their utteraces are going to be about intercounty players. That's what they are, that's what they do!
and ex county players they get paid too. 

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 01:43:39 PM
I know that, it still grates with me. They are to my knowledge the only player representative body in the GAA and only represent 2% of the players. And instead of promoting hurling, they are promoting the inter county game. I think the GAAs player body should represent all players.
Its not the GAA's player body. Its the GAA's intercounty player body.

To my knowledge, the GAA doesnt have a body for club players, nor for club mentors, nor for club groundsmen, nor for club umpires, nor for club barmen, etc, etc. Presumably because nobody bothered to set any of the above up, because there was no great call for them from any potential members.

AZOffaly

I'm not disagreeing with you Hound :) I'm saying that I disagree with some of the GPA's views on things, simply because of the perspective they are coming from. Comments about promoting the inter county game, rather than just simply 'promoting hurling' are jarring to me. However, as I said, I don't consider them to be lesser beings than the rest of us :) I'd be a GPA member myself if I were eligible still.

I agree that there is no body representing the 98% of active players in the association, and I think that's a major failing. If we had somebody who truly lobbied for the PLAYERS at the top tables of power, then issues like fixtures and player welfare for the masses would be on the agenda, instead of presidential campaign sound bites.

rrhf

Exactly the club players needs an office paid for in Croke Park as well. 

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 10:08:39 AM
Anyone who uses 'trickle down' in an American context as a positive doesn't know America at all.

IIRC that was pretty much why Clinton beat Bush Sr, certainly in the live debates, wasn't it?
MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 02:02:38 PM
I agree that there is no body representing the 98% of active players in the association, and I think that's a major failing. If we had somebody who truly lobbied for the PLAYERS at the top tables of power, then issues like fixtures and player welfare for the masses would be on the agenda, instead of presidential campaign sound bites.
I just doubt the need for a club players body. I know the club players do seem to like a moan at this time of year, but its only really a small element and often there's not a huge lot in it.

I'd guess that at most clubs in the country, the most important group of people are the first team squad. They're effectively a union in their own right. If there's a wrong been done to them, they'll be quick to let the club know and the club tries and sort it out. The players belong to the clubs and vice versa and so its in everyones interest to sort stuff out so most clubs do their best to sort out player grievances.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 01:44:28 PM
Not sure there's any point rehashing this argument now but I have no problem with the concept of paying players, however, it can't be afforded and there isn't enough will within the GAA to push it forward. Professionalism isn't right for the GAA and I'd be against paying players simply because of 'effort', especially when it is a reward based on a quirk of geography for some.

In saying that, the level of paranoia and the way some folks read something underhand into almost every GPA statement is tiresome to say the least. It reminds me of history books where you read about wars fought, partially, because people thought they knew what the other sides intentions really were and not what they actually were.

I'm confused now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on October 17, 2013, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
What grates with me is the tone of almost all GPA utterances. Everything is about the inter county player.

That's just bizarre AZ.

The GPA was set up for intercounty players. From Day 1. Never any pretence or utterance otherwise. That what it is, a representative body for intercounty players. So of course all their utteraces are going to be about intercounty players. That's what they are, that's what they do!

Incorrect. I have some of the original GPA literature at home as I paid into it the first year they set up out of some address in Drumcondra and there's plenty of utterances about the club player in it.
That fake facade is long gone now as there's no need to hide Dessie and Co's motives now they're on the payroll.

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on October 17, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 01:44:28 PM

I'm confused now.

I don't have any objection to paying an IC GAA player for playing IC football or hurling on principle. I wouldn't vote in favour of it because I don't believe it's sustainable and it would change the very fabric of the GAA for ill IMO.

Hardy

I'm even more confused now.

rrhf

Why pay someone for their hobby who are lucky to play on pitches and facilities built by the blood sweat and tears of their forefathers. 

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2013, 03:13:06 PM
I'm even more confused now.

Can't imagine why, I've no objection to professionalism on principle but I don't think it's realistic for numerous reasons.