Sinead O'Connor

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 10, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

There has been issues in Sinead O'Connor's life for some time. My first recollection of her was an appearance with Gaybo where she accused her parents of abuse and neglect. I have no doubt that she is ill. I don't think abusing her or dismissing her illness as hype is helpful. Neither do I think her very public cries for help do anything to help people with depression who are less well off or well known. It is sad that she appears to be so alone with her illness, some people with such deep mental illness are beyond help and very often families just get tired of trying to intervene. I guess what I'm saying is we shouldn't be so judgemental whilst at the same time recognising that she doesn't do her self any favours...but that's probably the illness.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:01:49 AM
There has been issues in Sinead O'Connor's life for some time. My first recollection of her was an appearance with Gaybo where she accused her parents of abuse and neglect. I have no doubt that she is ill. I don't think abusing her or dismissing her illness as hype is helpful. Neither do I think her very public cries for help do anything to help people with depression who are less well off or well known. It is sad that she appears to be so alone with her illness, some people with such deep mental illness are beyond help and very often families just get tired of trying to intervene. I guess what I'm saying is we shouldn't be so judgemental whilst at the same time recognising that she doesn't do her self any favours...but that's probably the illness.

Exactly. And there's little to be served by mocking her at this stage. If she ends up taking her own life, will there be posts on here about having no sympathy for her?

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2015, 11:11:32 AM

Exactly. And there's little to be served by mocking her at this stage. If she ends up taking her own life, will there be posts on here about having no sympathy for her?
I sincerely hope not, but it was very revealing to see Christ's love and compassion once again being demonstrated through the comments of the born again catholics.

mikehunt

Read one of her brother's books and he mentions the type of upbringing/home they came from. Would go someway to explaining her erratic behaviour. She obviously suffers from some disorder and for people to give her stick because of it, is odd. She has a troubled mind but a voice of an angel.

stew

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:15:11 AM

I sincerely hope not, but it was very revealing to see Christ's love and compassion once again being demonstrated through the comments of the born again catholics.

That is unfair, Fearon is the only one having a real go here a,d the next time I meet a born again Catholic will be the first one.

I am not a Catholic.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Applesisapples

Quote from: stew on December 01, 2015, 02:19:05 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:15:11 AM

That is unfair, Fearon is the only one having a real go here a,d the next time I meet a born again Catholic will be the first one.

I am not a Catholic.
I was using the term sarcastically.

BennyCake

Quote from: mikehunt on December 01, 2015, 11:52:17 AM
Read one of her brother's books and he mentions the type of upbringing/home they came from. Would go someway to explaining her erratic behaviour. She obviously suffers from some disorder and for people to give her stick because of it, is odd. She has a troubled mind but a voice of an angel.

That is very much a matter of opinion.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2015, 04:57:34 PM

Same as all music then......and pretty much everything else for that matter

T Fearon

So it's alright to lambast a 70 something cleric for something he did 40 years ago,the only time in his whole life he made a mistake (if you can call recording accurately what he heard and informing his superiors a mistake),and make excuses for a multi millionaire hedonist whose whole life has been marked by publicity stunts and gratuitous offence to all and sundry?

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 01, 2015, 06:30:30 PM

Not exactly. Quite a lot of things are factual.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2015, 07:09:11 PM

Only if one accepts the rationale that makes it a fact, would it be a fact.

If Sinead O'Connor has perfect tone and pitch you could say her voice is technically excellent in terms of the criteria established by Western Musical theory. But if you dont like it, then you dont like it maybe the criteria doesnt work for your taste, which is fine.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2015, 06:38:55 PM
So it's alright to lambast a 70 something cleric for something he did 40 years ago,the only time in his whole life he made a mistake (if you can call recording accurately what he heard and informing his superiors a mistake),and make excuses for a multi millionaire hedonist whose whole life has been marked by publicity stunts and gratuitous offence to all and sundry?

Is Brady a multi-millionaire?

MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 01, 2015, 07:19:33 PM

If Sinead O'Connor has perfect tone and pitch you could say her voice is technically excellent in terms of the criteria established by Western Musical theory. But if you dont like it, then you dont like it maybe the criteria doesnt work for your taste, which is fine.

Oslo is the capital of Norway - fact.
Sinead O'Connor has the voice of an angel - that's a matter of opinion. Pitch perfect or not.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2015, 08:27:22 PM

Sinead O'Connor has the voice of an angel - that's a matter of opinion. Pitch perfect or not.

I agree with you about the music but regarding anything as "fact" is actually fairly subjective isnt it. For the example you choose you would have to accept that the sovereign state of Norway is indeed real and not just an artificially created figment that the people who live there accept to be part of that society.

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 01, 2015, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2015, 08:27:22 PM

I agree with you about the music but regarding anything as "fact" is actually fairly subjective isnt it. For the example you choose you would have to accept that the sovereign state of Norway is indeed real and not just an artificially created figment that the people who live there accept to be part of that society.

I'd say even you can't believe you actually typed that.