Kildare manager 2016

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: orangeman on September 04, 2013, 12:42:38 AM
What happens if the players decide they want Mc Geeney back and to hell with the club delegates who ddn't consult us and it was only a very slim majority that wanted him out ?

I can see this story running for a while.

McGeeney himself will put pay to anything like that happening.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

T Fearon

I suppose you could say,Mc Geeney brought Kildare Ham,when they really wanted Sam!

heffo

Hound

Four good progressive years followed by two years of stagnation / regression.

Seeing Dublin beat Kerry to lift Sam in 2011, knowing they were very close to them, should have been the catalyst for a proper challenge for Sam in 2012 and a genuine belief that they could do it.

The Seanie Johnston debacle has to be mentioned. It was flat out cheating in my mind, bringing a player in who had no links with the county, and initially had no intention of working in the county, living in the county or playing club football in the county. I've no idea how much of an involvement McGeeney had in that, or whether it impacted on their 2012 performances, but it certainly didnt help.

So in 2011 after being the equal of Donegal and only losing narrowly to the Dubs, in 2012 they get a 6 point thumping from Meath and get completely annihilated by Cork. Then in 2013 again, no real improvement and they're back to being also-rans.

He clearly did a lot of good for Kildare GAA, but I can understand them thinking a new face at the top might improve things.

tonto1888

I wonder if Im the only one hoping he puts his feet up for a year and then takes over Armagh next year? Or joins Grinley's coaching staff with that in mind?

LilySavage

Had the meeting taken place last week, he'd have comfortably survived. There was a lot of momentum and bit of a push to oust him in recent days. 2 delegates changed their mind at the meeting last night. Seanie Johnston saga effectively cost him his job as that was worh at least one vote, Id imagine it was a factor in many more going against him. He also never endeared himself to many of the clubs, particularly the big clubs, by pulling players for country league games at last minute as they had junior county challenge match a few days later. Clubs stood up for themselves against the county board on this one. Sorry to see him go. He put in a huge effort , brought Kildare to a new level. Anyone who doubts this should take a look at the results from 03-07 before he joined. Getting trimmings off likes of Laois and Offaly. Laois were so envious of Kildare that they appointed a McGeeneylite to try boost their standing.He never had enough quality within the squad to win an AI or topple the Dubs and sadly for Geezer, he leaves at atime when there appear to be real quality players coming through. Wish him all the best and maybe he may return some day.

Canalman

Have posted this before. In years to come McGeeney's contribution to Kildare football will be acclaiimed. They are a coming force and definitely should imvho win an AI or two in the next decade.

Jinxy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 03, 2013, 11:22:36 PM
"@EmmetBolton: 58 club delegates who have never seen us train went into a room tonight and decided what was best for us. They totally disregarded our 1/2

@EmmetBolton: Opinions over the last couple of weeks. A disgraceful way to treat a man who put so much heart and effort into Kildare football. 2/2"

This is it in a nutshell.
The Kildare players need to understand that training is a means to an end.
It's what happens on the field that counts, not how many pull-ups you can do.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Jinxy that is proper thinking. 

Shamrock Shore

Are the delegates not acting on behalf of the clubs that there players are from? Now I know some delegates think that they, like De Valera, can look into their hearts and see what's best for their people but by-and-large they are simply reflecting the wishes of the clubs.

If you ignore the wishes of the club(s) then where do you go from there?

Clubs obviously were looking at the funds spent in the past 6 years - the embarrassing bail-out/funds in advance (call it what you like) that Kildare had to get last year from central council and compared that to the lack of measureable success in the senior grade and said feck this.

Democracy in action.

Not saying they will now get anyone better than McGeeney but, to paraphrase the late great Frank Cluskey (who ripped it off an American politician who's name escapes me) "the clubs have spoken, the b**tards"!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
Are the delegates not acting on behalf of the clubs that there players are from? Now I know some delegates think that they, like De Valera, can look into their hearts and see what's best for their people but by-and-large they are simply reflecting the wishes of the clubs.

Clubs obviously were looking at the funds spent in the past 6 years - the embarrassing bail-out/funds in advance (call it what you like) that Kildare had to get last year from central council and compared that to the lack of measureable success in the senior grade and said feck this.

Democracy in action.

Not saying they will now get anyone better than McGeeney but, to paraphrase the late great Frank Cluskey (who ripped it off an American politician who's name escapes me) "the clubs have spoken, the b**tards"!

The Kildare team raised all their own funds, they even built their own GYM. McGeeney's expenses are not considerable. The clubs pay a Levy on Hawkfield, Kildare COE, which is used by all development teams and senior football, hurling and camoige teams.

The clubs gripe is player access particularly the large clubs. This is coup d'etat by the senior clubs. The same in-house political bickering that has held Kildare back for 50 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Kildare GAA Statement - Kieran McGeeney

Kildare GAA

Kildare GAA would like to extend their thanks to Kieran McGeeney for his 6 years in charge of the senior football team. During this time the team appeared in 5 consecutive quarter-finals and one semi-final bringing huge enjoyment to Kildare supporters as the profile of football in the county grew considerably. There were many great days in Croke Park and while a Leinster title eluded us in 2009, few could forget the wonderful contest that was served up by Kildare and Dublin on the day. The team played an exciting brand of football which thrilled their supporters and brought great joy to the county as a whole. A fingertip save denied the Lilies an appearance in the 2010 All Ireland final, while some dubious calls in 2011 cost us another semi-final appearance.

Kieran McGeeney introduced an unprecedented level of professionalism to everything he did and he instilled a great work ethic in his players during his six years in charge. He worked tirelessly throughout this time for the betterment of Kildare GAA, assisting in fundraising and the negotiation of various sponsorship deals, as well as liaising with the county coaching officers to put a structure in place that would help the county to achieve success down the line.

He brought a huge level of desire and passion to his role, while his honesty and integrity marked him out as a man who commanded huge respect from all who worked with him. He was served well during his 6 years by his different backroom teams, all of whom will have been enriched by their experience of working with him.

Kieran displayed a huge loyalty to his players and Kildare GAA throughout his 6 years in charge and he has undoubtedly made a great impression on all who soldiered under him. Many of these players were individually recognised by Leinster, International Rules and All Star selection committees during Kieran's reign and they would undoubtedly acknowledge the huge role he played in them achieving those individual accolades.

Two O'Byrne Cup titles and a Division 2 National League may be the only silverware to show during his reign, but Kieran McGeeney has undoubtedly left Kildare football in a far better place than when he started and we thank him for all of his hard work and intelligent insight during his time in charge. He has raised both the standard and the profile of Kildare GAA and we wish him well in the future and trust that he will have fond memories of his 6 years in charge of the Lilies.
#newbridgeornowhere

highorlow

Always have admired Geezer and it is obvious he puts 100% into everything he does. I felt his decision making in the Tyrone game in the 2nd half was poor. Tactically he appeared one dimensional and taking O'Connor off that day was the wrong decision.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mylestheslasher

Glad to see the back of him. I don't believe he did half as much for Kildare as people are saying and in the end of the day it is a results game and 6 six years and no Leinster is the legacy. His involvment in the farce that was the Seanie Johnston affair also leaves a sour taste and I think it was for the good of the GAA that that episode blew up in both their faces. I imagine Kildare will do just fine without him and Emmet Bolton and his like need to remember that while the players are important, there are other just as important elements within the GAA and club delegates represent them.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2013, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM

Democracy in action.

The Kildare team raised all their own funds, they even built their own GYM. McGeeney's expenses are not considerable. The clubs pay a Levy on Hawkfield, Kildare COE, which is used by all development teams and senior football, hurling and camoige teams.

The clubs gripe is player access particularly the large clubs. This is coup d'etat by the senior clubs. The same in-house political bickering that has held Kildare back for 50 years.

It's as much to do with the ineptitude of the county board. They ceded too much power to McGeeney and always seemed terrified of pissing him off. They're the same crowd who who want the clubs to bail them out and who have buried their heads in the sand over the past few years - finances, state of St Conleth's, Johnston. A penny for Padraig Ashe's thoughts right now.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?