Buffoon calls for the permanent opening of Croke Park

Started by Orior, April 05, 2007, 10:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Letter in the Belfast Telegraph rag last night:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/letters/article2419891.ece

Is it time for a Croke Park cricket match?
Wednesday, April 04, 2007

On St Patrick's weekend we had the usual exodus of Irish politicians heading out of the country with overpaid expenses in their pockets on so-called promotional trips around the globe.

It turned out that the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker were the real ambassadors for Ireland over the holiday weekend.

Ireland's amateur cricketers, along with their small army of supporters, lit up the country on the world sporting stage.

It really satisfies the soul to witness what is becoming a modern multi-cultural country far removed from De Valera's dour Ireland of 50 years ago, where Catholic school curriculums when it came to sporting activities offered us the stark choice of 'God only plays Gaelic games' and those of us who did manage to get our hands on cricket balls were looked upon by many priests and teachers as committing a mortal sin.

If the present trend of substantial immigration into Ireland continues over the next 30 years, I wouldn't bet against the government of the day's compulsory purchasing Croke Park due to a lack of interest in Gaelic games and the massive need to satisfy the sporting appetite of the vast majority.

With cricket seemingly making a welcome comeback in the Republic, would it not be a great idea to celebrate the north of Ireland's power-sharing agreement to stage a friendly cricket match at Croke Park stadium?

Orange versus the Green - it would be well worth the entrance fee just to watch Paisley trying to bowl Adams out leg before wicket, while Blair and Ahern watch from their silly mid-on positions, maybe giving us a little flavour of what we can expect when the Northern Ireland politicians take up their positions in May.

Brendan Buffini

Maidstone, Kent

Buffini, you've been away too long.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

cavan4ever

lynchbhoy

my only question would be how to stop the rows over who gets the hill 16 end for the warm up before the game

if teams pull a 'Mayo' stunt, there could be a vicious row with stumps, pads and willow bats flying... :D

rosnarun

Maybe cluxton wouldn't be so quick to offer 10 years olds a fight if  they had cricket bats
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

dubnut

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2007, 10:28:31 AM
Maybe cluxton wouldn't be so quick to offer 10 years olds a fight if  they had cricket bats

::)

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Orior on April 05, 2007, 10:09:26 AM
If the present trend of substantial immigration into Ireland continues over the next 30 years, I wouldn't bet against the government of the day's compulsory purchasing Croke Park due to a lack of interest in Gaelic games and the massive need to satisfy the sporting appetite of the vast majority.

;D

Brendan Buffini  ;D ;D

thejuice

Hey Brendan, Go f**k Yourself!! >:(

sorry just had to let that out

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rosnarun

For those with an Irony bypass
I really think brendan Bufini was trying to be funny;

wasn't he?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thejuice

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2007, 02:58:56 PM
For those with an Irony bypass

wasn't he?

oh Ok sorry, the bit about lack of interest got under my skin. I dont know who Brendan Buffini is nor have i heard of him before.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

Well he's in the Maidstone phone book, so he exists to that extent.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

QuoteFor those with an Irony bypass

wasn't he?
Well he made me laugh...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

When I first read this, I thought it read "Buffon calls for the permanent opening of Croke Park" and wondered why Italy's World Cup winning goalie was sticking his oar in.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians