What - no discussion about the GAA backing pay for play?

Started by Hardy, April 05, 2007, 08:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on April 06, 2007, 12:20:54 AM
Whatever about the pro's and cons of paying players and the huge debate that will entail, im outraged that the taxpayer is footing this bill. How can we justify this?

Good question. Now all you have to do is find someone who is justifying it so you can ask them.

Gnevin

Quote from: deiseach on April 06, 2007, 05:59:09 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 06, 2007, 12:20:54 AM
Whatever about the pro's and cons of paying players and the huge debate that will entail, im outraged that the taxpayer is footing this bill. How can we justify this?

Good question. Now all you have to do is find someone who is justifying it so you can ask them.
Simple 5mil to players , Dublin V Meath  will generate at least 20 for the Dublin economy , multiply that by the number of big games and the Tax payer is getting a great deal
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on April 06, 2007, 08:34:58 PM
Simple 5mil to players , Dublin V Meath  will generate at least 20 for the Dublin economy , multiply that by the number of big games and the Tax payer is getting a great deal

So the taxpayer is paying money for something that it was previously getting for nothing? Not what I'd call a "great deal".

annie

It seems as if everyone has gone mad around here. Take a look at soccer and the Premiership. Look how many spoiled brats there are playing there yapping for more money and they are not worth the half of it. Now think if the players are paid in the GAA they are going to sink they're arm in over thr following years and keep asking for more. If we a re realistic the quality of soccer in the Premiership is quite poor and if the money comes to the GAA then we will head that direction.
Catch yourselves on!!!

fearglasmor

By Paddy Hickey in the Indo.

ARMAGH star Kieran McGeeney would love to be able to train like Brian O'Driscoll.

That's why he's such a strong supporter of the proposed government-funded grants scheme for county players which would see recipients get sums up to a maximum of €2,500.

"If the grants scheme was in place, GAA players obviously wouldn't have the same luxury of full-time rugby and soccer players who don't have to hold down a day job," said McGeeney.

"But it would help players to fund various outgoings such as baby-sitting when going to training.

"There is no doubt but that GAA players are elite athletes who help to attract huge crowds each year, and I see no reason why players like Colm Cooper, Eoin Brosnan and Brian Cullen shouldn't receive some small compensation for all the effort and time they put in."

Donal O'Neill, the GPA's Commercial Director, also strongly defended the grants scheme for GAA players at yesterday's press conference to announce that former Kerry manager Jack O'Connor will be the new chairman of the Opel GPA awards football selection committee.

"GAA players are not eligible for government grants under the National Sports' Council carding scheme, so the scheme agreed between the government and the GAA is a fitting way to reward the players for their efforts," said O'Neill.

O'Neill said he knew nothing about a report that the government were going to renege on the revolutionary scheme. "As far as we are concerned the deal is still on unless we hear to the contrary."

What a role model McGeeney is for the GAA!!!!!!!!!!
Just how much did he get from Na Fianna anyway.    ;)

magpie seanie

QuoteARMAGH star Kieran McGeeney would love to be able to train like Brian O'Driscoll.

That's why he's such a strong supporter of the proposed government-funded grants scheme for county players which would see recipients get sums up to a maximum of €2,500.

Where is the sick bucket. And such poor journalism.

INDIANA

nobody asked him to play at that level-it was something he did volunatarily-if he didn't like it he should have packed it in. sharks like donal o  neill won't be happy until the game goes professional.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: fearglasmor on April 12, 2007, 11:44:45 AM
By Paddy Hickey in the Indo.

ARMAGH star Kieran McGeeney would love to be able to train like Brian O'Driscoll.

"But it would help players to fund various outgoings such as baby-sitting when going to training.

Yep i can just see an intercounty players few thousand euro grant going on "baby-sitting" fees !! I apologise for digressing but if a young Mc Geeney was told that when he made it as an intercounty player he would not get paid surely he would have packed it in there and then........
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

annie

The day the GAA goes professional is the day it dies. FACT

stephenite

What happens when this famous Tiger we have rolls over and dies? The Government will stop all non essential payments such as this. So what does the GPA do then? Can anyone find an anwer to this?

If this situation occurs will the GPA demand the payments be met by the GAA and taken out of gate recipts? If the GAA refuse will the GPA than go on strike?

dublinfella

Quote from: annie on April 12, 2007, 10:48:35 PM
The day the GAA goes professional is the day it dies. FACT

Please explain why...

Its survived nearly 20 years of nudge and wink professionalism ffs.

And while you are at it tell me what Jason Sherlock does for a living. Or for that matterSean óg and Colin Moran and the rest who have token jobs with sponsors.

The entire thing reminds me of the dying days of amateur rugby. There are professional GAA players, both full and part time, already. How many of us on this site did the american summer?

Hardy

So just because some people are bending the rules, we should abandon the ideal and go officially professional? Should the state legalise murder because there are a few dozen murders every year?

You're right about one thing. There are similarities between the GAA and rugby pre-professionalism. Back then, rugby clubs thrived. Attendances were healthy and attendance money and all other accumulated resources went into supporting the club and the game. Now resources are centralised to feed the voracious appetites of the FOUR professional 'clubs' (one of them teetering on the brink of abolition) that the 'market' can sustain. Clubs are disappearing or amalgamating to survive and find that their main source of revenue is flogging tickets for the gigs of the commercial sports-entertainment business that has evolved from the "professionalisation" of what used to be a game.

AZOffaly's scenario for the future of a professional GAA, outlined in another thread, is exactly what we can expect when we start to legitimise pay to players, as it seems we're about to. Is that what we want?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on April 13, 2007, 08:03:27 AM
So just because some people are bending the rules, we should abandon the ideal and go officially professional? Should the state legalise murder because there are a few dozen murders every year?

You're right about one thing. There are similarities between the GAA and rugby pre-professionalism. Back then, rugby clubs thrived. Attendances were healthy and attendance money and all other accumulated resources went into supporting the club and the game. Now resources are centralised to feed the voracious appetites of the FOUR professional 'clubs' (one of them teetering on the brink of abolition) that the 'market' can sustain. Clubs are disappearing or amalgamating to survive and find that their main source of revenue is flogging tickets for the gigs of the commercial sports-entertainment business that has evolved from the "professionalisation" of what used to be a game.

AZOffaly's scenario for the future of a professional GAA, outlined in another thread, is exactly what we can expect when we start to legitimise pay to players, as it seems we're about to. Is that what we want?

I do my best to try to disagree with you as often as possible
Unfortunately that is a spot on post and I cant find fault.

We cannot go pro. We have seen the precedent. We couldnt be that stupid?

fearglasmor

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 13, 2007, 08:26:36 AM
Quote from: Hardy on April 13, 2007, 08:03:27 AM

We cannot go pro. We have seen the precedent. We couldnt be that stupid?

You would think so,  but when the gaa's "civil service" see 80k people at a february league match I worry at what deluded thoughts might be going through their heads.
How else could "The GAA" sign up to this payment deal with the GPA ?  Should this not require approval at congress,  will it be discussed ?

magpie seanie

QuoteAZOffaly's scenario for the future of a professional GAA, outlined in another thread, is exactly what we can expect when we start to legitimise pay to players, as it seems we're about to. Is that what we want?

It's not what we want and it must be blocked. From where I'm standing a rule change is likely to be required and that would entail a special congress being called. I'm curious as to why the GAA has yet to outline in full the planned scheme. My gut tells me that the deal has been agreed in principle with the Govt and the Greedy Players Association with the proviso that it must be supported by the members. Brennan and the lads know full well that it'll be beaten but it won't be Croke Park stopping it - it will be the grass roots. And that is clever.