What - no discussion about the GAA backing pay for play?

Started by Hardy, April 05, 2007, 08:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

(I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date)

QuoteIf I'm driving to training, and the expenses are 50 cent a mile, for arguments sake, and I drive 4,000 miles in a year, I would expect €2000 recompense.
And if I'm a club player and my clubmate who plays for the county gets this and I don't, what does that tell me about the egalitarian organisation with the amateur ethos that I used to think I belonged to?

fearglasmor

Hardy,

it tells you this my royal friend, 

You are a grain of sand on the back of a camel. whereas I (countyman) am the saddle that supports the fee paying tourists arse.
While you get brushed away to be replaced by countless other grains, I will be meticulously polished and cared for.

This is the word of the Capitalist.

Amen.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on April 05, 2007, 11:05:32 AM
(I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date)

QuoteIf I'm driving to training, and the expenses are 50 cent a mile, for arguments sake, and I drive 4,000 miles in a year, I would expect €2000 recompense.
And if I'm a club player and my clubmate who plays for the county gets this and I don't, what does that tell me about the egalitarian organisation with the amateur ethos that I used to think I belonged to?

Potentially a very slipperly slope, that must be handled, implemented, and administered with extreme caution, care and consideration. Or else it's goodbye GAA  :'(
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

passedit

My time is more precious than Hardy, AZ and Billy's put together but:

QuoteYou are a grain of sand on the back of a camel. whereas I (countyman) am the saddle that supports the fee paying tourists arse.
While you get brushed away to be replaced by countless other grains, I will be meticulously polished and cared for.

This is the word of the Capitalist.

Amen.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All great comedy is founded on the bitter truth.

8 team senior championships here we come.
Don't Panic

uselessfootballer

The only money that can justifiably be given to an amateur sports person is that which replaces money that they have genuinely spent themselves in the pursuit of the the sport ie. genuinely incurred expenses.

The very nature of a grant suggests that you will recieve the payment if you meet a qualifying criteria ie. play at a certain standard or take part in a minimum amount of training or matches. Therefore if it's a grant it is linked to what you do and not what you have spent.

Any official payment that isn't repayment for incurred expenses will be the beginning of the end of amateur status and within 10 years we will have a much changed and poorer (not just financially) association.

Why does everyone (generalisation) in modern day Ireland want paid for everything they do?

LaurelEye

Being on a day off, my time isn't worth a cent, but I agree with Hardy, AZ and the rest.

Quote from: uselessfootballerWhy does everyone (generalisation) in modern day Ireland want paid for everything they do?

Welcome to the Celtic Tiger, where you're only as worthwhile as the amount you earn.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

uselessfootballer

Well as I live in the northern end of this wee island thankfully I haven't yet been overtaken by the Celtic Tiger way of thinking yet.

Up here the economy and general way of doing things is less Celtic Tiger and more Ulster-Scots Tabby Cat

Smokin Joe

I know nobody knows what's in the document yet, but where does this leave our Northern brethern?

Perhaps the new Executive will look after their "expenses" as well?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 05, 2007, 12:27:31 PM
I know nobody knows what's in the document yet, but where does this leave our Northern brethern?

Believe it will apply across both jurisdictions equally, i.e., as administered centrally from Dublin.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2007, 12:29:35 PM

Believe it will apply across both jurisdictions equally, i.e., as administered centrally from Dublin.

But surely the Irish government won't be giving grants to Northern Irish taxpayers.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 05, 2007, 12:33:57 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2007, 12:29:35 PM

But surely the Irish government won't be giving grants to Northern Irish taxpayers.

Not directly, but the GAA is not a 26-county organisation (regardless from where the money comes), unless you'd expect it to operate in complete contradiction to (and contravention of) its own constitution?  :)

brokencrossbar1

QuotePosted on: Today at 12:27:31 PMPosted by: Smokin Joe  
Insert Quote

Perhaps that is what Bertie Fish and Ian Mor were talking about yesterday when they met.  Perhaps the devolved Government in Stormont has an amount set aside from its payment  from Westminster and that is why the two incidents have coincided.  Or maybe I am just talking bollix :P

Either way, it leaves a possible dangerous door ajar.  No matter what way you look at it, grants or expenses are open to corruption.  Fearglasmor, you say that we grains of sand in clubs are not worthy of being nurtured.  Would you argue that a footballer in a weaker county commits anymore to his team and incur anymore expense than a top non county player from Crossmaglen or Ballyhale.  For the guts of ten years I travelled 3 round trips of 130 miles per week 9 months of the year at least training and playing games.  I got some expenses but never so much that I was not out of pocket.  I never asked for any more either.  Did I do any less than a hurler from Mayo to use an old analogy?

dublin15man

Will the revenue commissioners in the north accept the fact that these payments are for reimbursement of expenses and not subject to income tax?

Also, I would have thought that if government approve these payments, other codes like soccer & rugby will be asking for the same treatment.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dublin15man on April 05, 2007, 01:54:56 PM
Will the revenue commissioners in the north accept the fact that these payments are for reimbursement of expenses and not subject to income tax?

I would imagine so, yes, which would be no different from what will apply in the 26.

INDIANA

have to say fellas i think the effort some of the senior club players put in these days is forgotten. the top ones in each county would be damn close in terms of the hours given to county teams. I accept it's not the same standard and they don't draw the crowds- but playing senior club football for a top club team is like a full-ime job in itself and i can't imagine it's a milion miles off the time put in by cunty players. I'm not suggesting club players getting anything- but i don't like this payment of players for one reason- the price always goes up -it's 5m this year -what will it be next year. I'm all for players getting all the expenses required. but i think most county teams overtrain anyway and a s aresult their clubs never see them .This is a dangerous precedent creating an elite band of players distinct from everybody else.