Antrim yaps- under 21 hurling final

Started by Orchardman, August 29, 2013, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2013, 07:25:30 PM
I don't think the normal route to the semi finals is the best or fairest way, again an open draw would solve a lot of problems, you can have your Munster, Ulster and Leinster as a side. We done really well this year I believe down to the fact that these lads were preparing hard for their club championships. As preparation was exactly as Ryan had said, rubbish

Where they not training hard for clubs the last few years when they were getting hammered in U-21 semis ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 16, 2013, 07:39:33 PM
I don't think the normal route to the semi finals is the best or fairest way, again an open draw would solve a lot of problems, you can have your Munster, Ulster and Leinster as a side. We done really well this year I believe down to the fact that these lads were preparing hard for their club championships. As preparation was exactly as Ryan had said, rubbish

Where they not training hard for clubs the last few years when they were getting hammered in U-21 semis ?

The dates aren't really set in stone for under 21, there would have been big breaks between leagues games and championship games, various reasons. This year it worked out well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2013, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on September 16, 2013, 07:39:33 PM

The dates aren't really set in stone for under 21, there would have been big breaks between leagues games and championship games, various reasons. This year it worked out well

In what way are they not set in stone ? Semis are always end of August.

Milltown Row2

Tipperary 5-22 : 0-12 Galway (All-Ireland final)

Was there much talk of Galway's poorer performance in 2010?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orchardman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 16, 2013, 05:29:57 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on September 16, 2013, 05:03:01 PM
I can see that my comments haven't been taken too kindly, but some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Comparing the defeat to Donegal etc is nonsense. This is now the 3rd year in a row ( prob nearly every year actually, but i'm just keeping it recent) that antrim have been beaten by 20-25 points in this comp, if that's not a farce then what is.

Ok, yes they beat wexford fair on the day, they played the better hurling on the day, maybe I didn't make that clear. But if they played them another 5 times who would likely win, who would you antrim lads put ur money on?that's what I meant by 'caught on the hop', no need to be so defensive.

Yes antrim are way ahead of the rest of ulster, good knows how much Armagh would be stuffed by, but it seems to me they are happy to being the big boys in the small ulster pond and then get trimmed down south every year.

We know what you mean by caught on the hop Orchardman.

Your use of the word disgrace is an insult to those guys out playing and is what people take issue with. Disgrace means disgrace sporting or otherwise so I don't know where you come up with the idea that it means differently in sporting terms than in any other terms.

How do you know that 5 out of 6 times Wexford would have won? Your argument now is that who would we expect to win? If antrim can compete with them one day they can compete with them the next.

Let me repeat what others have - that Clare team would have done anyone on saturday. People jumping on saying ulster hurling is rubbish etc didn't jump on it before the game and now they're coming in with the I told you sos?

As for your comments about being happy to be the big boys in the small ulster pond it doesn't even make any sense. What are they to do? They have entered Leinster in the seniors. They play national league every year and they play championship every year. If they were so happy doing that sure they'd just win ulster and not bother playing. They're happy to take trimmings you say - but they didn't get trimmed this year.

In addition as JC says they beat Down by 2. So what about them? Ulster wasn't that uncompetitive after all this year.

Let me explain further. When I talk about 'antrim', im not just talking about the 15 players last weekend. Has everyone forgot the article with the antrim manager ryan before the semi-final?
He said they had liitle or no prep done, had been no panel properly put together, and they were training with 7 players some nights. County board and selfish clubs to blame no doubt, maybe lazy individuals also?

I always like to see an underdog win of course, especially an ulster team, but an underdog that has been knocking on the door and bursting their balls with preparation and treating a competition with respect. This is clearly not the case with antrim, I don't think you can argue with anything I have said in this post.

And yes, like others have said, that clare team would take some stopping no matter who they played.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Orchardman on September 16, 2013, 10:50:44 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 16, 2013, 05:29:57 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on September 16, 2013, 05:03:01 PM
I can see that my comments haven't been taken too kindly, but some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Comparing the defeat to Donegal etc is nonsense. This is now the 3rd year in a row ( prob nearly every year actually, but i'm just keeping it recent) that antrim have been beaten by 20-25 points in this comp, if that's not a farce then what is.

Ok, yes they beat wexford fair on the day, they played the better hurling on the day, maybe I didn't make that clear. But if they played them another 5 times who would likely win, who would you antrim lads put ur money on?that's what I meant by 'caught on the hop', no need to be so defensive.

Yes antrim are way ahead of the rest of ulster, good knows how much Armagh would be stuffed by, but it seems to me they are happy to being the big boys in the small ulster pond and then get trimmed down south every year.

We know what you mean by caught on the hop Orchardman.

Your use of the word disgrace is an insult to those guys out playing and is what people take issue with. Disgrace means disgrace sporting or otherwise so I don't know where you come up with the idea that it means differently in sporting terms than in any other terms.

How do you know that 5 out of 6 times Wexford would have won? Your argument now is that who would we expect to win? If antrim can compete with them one day they can compete with them the next.

Let me repeat what others have - that Clare team would have done anyone on saturday. People jumping on saying ulster hurling is rubbish etc didn't jump on it before the game and now they're coming in with the I told you sos?

As for your comments about being happy to be the big boys in the small ulster pond it doesn't even make any sense. What are they to do? They have entered Leinster in the seniors. They play national league every year and they play championship every year. If they were so happy doing that sure they'd just win ulster and not bother playing. They're happy to take trimmings you say - but they didn't get trimmed this year.

In addition as JC says they beat Down by 2. So what about them? Ulster wasn't that uncompetitive after all this year.

Let me explain further. When I talk about 'antrim', im not just talking about the 15 players last weekend. Has everyone forgot the article with the antrim manager ryan before the semi-final?
He said they had liitle or no prep done, had been no panel properly put together, and they were training with 7 players some nights. County board and selfish clubs to blame no doubt, maybe lazy individuals also?

I always like to see an underdog win of course, especially an ulster team, but an underdog that has been knocking on the door and bursting their balls with preparation and treating a competition with respect. This is clearly not the case with antrim, I don't think you can argue with anything I have said in this post.

And yes, like others have said, that clare team would take some stopping no matter who they played.

I don't disagree with your last post at all - just words like disgrace etc in the previous posts...

In no other county would you get club championship games scheduled for the same time as an ai semi final with some of the same players involved!

There is talent in that team. People may think it was a one off to beat wexford but i don't think so.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2013, 10:44:31 PM

2008 AI hurling final;

Kilkenny 3–30 – 1–13    Waterford

Why was there no big furore after this match?

We marveled at such a great performance by Kilkenny, awarded Brian Cody MOTM and gushed at seeing possibly the greatest team seen in hurling at the pinnacle of their sport and rightly so, they were untouchable.

IMO this current bunch of Clare U-21's are something special, the only team to get close to them was Waterford, they brushed aside Tipp (who'd previously stuffed Cork) and then Galway. They'd have won at a canter against Wexford as well, so why the picking on Antrim?

Is it based on Kevin Ryans comments about lack of collective preparation?

If it is then Wexford need to ask serious questions about how well they were preparing collectively if a get together from Antrim beat them well.

Rossfan

The chances are that over a 10 year spell Galway would beat Tipp as often as Tipp would beat Galway.
Antrim wouldn't.
If ye think the U21 hurling set up is daft - what about the U21B.
Kerry won it by playing ONE FCUKIN GAME.
The sooner this minority stick sport is jettisoned by the GAA the better.( Better put in one of these :P for the pedantic Awlsther bies) so they can concentrate on developing the one truly National sport of football.
And anyway this should all be in the Hurling section.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2013, 10:53:42 AM

The chances are that over a 10 year spell Galway would beat Tipp as often as Tipp would beat Galway.
Antrim wouldn't.
The sooner this minority stick sport is jettisoned by the GAA the better.( Better put in one of these :P for the pedantic Awlsther bies) so they can concentrate on developing the one truly National sport of football.

says the one who has this at the bottom of his posts

Home of the 2013 All Ireland SFC Champions.
Also Double Connacht Champions 2013 (hurling)  ;)

Both codes can go hand in hand ffs, problem being the competitiveness of it all has ensured this won't take place as county boards will throw their eggs in one basket, Cork, Dublin, and Galway can to a certain point have success with both codes. Then we have Laois, Antrim, Kildare, Rosscommon, Carlow and other such counties that won't win either put promote it as best they can but overall fail because they are spreading their resources, frustrating as a supporter

AZOffaly

Where does Offaly fit into that? And Tipp for that matter?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 11:33:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2013, 10:53:42 AM

Antrim wouldn't.

says the one who has this at the bottom of his posts

Home of the 2013 All Ireland SFC Champions.
Also Double Connacht Champions 2013 (hurling)  ;)

Both codes can go hand in hand ffs, problem being the competitiveness of it all has ensured this won't take place as county boards will throw their eggs in one basket, Cork, Dublin, and Galway can to a certain point have success with both codes. Then we have Laois, Antrim, Kildare, Rosscommon, Carlow and other such counties that won't win either put promote it as best they can but overall fail because they are spreading their resources, frustrating as a supporter
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2013, 03:51:38 PM
Where does Offaly fit into that? And Tipp for that matter?

They will eventually win one every so often, Counties mentioned won't  >:(

Orchardman

I can't believe someone has mentioned this, can we not see the clear difference!

Galway win loads of minor and u-21, getting the odd stuffing doesn't render them useless

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orchardman on September 17, 2013, 09:34:56 PM

I can't believe someone has mentioned this, can we not see the clear difference!

Galway win loads of minor and u-21, getting the odd stuffing doesn't render them useless

Yes but the point being that It's not unusual for teams to get a hidding in this comp or any other. In Ulster Antrim knock these out on a regular occurrence to lesser teams, are they less prepared than Antrim when they head south? Yeah most definitely, there happens to be a gulf between teams and this year we managed to close that gap and beat the best of Leinster and get hammered by Clare. They could prepare better and having done very well in Waterford this year (under 14 comp) and with the club teams being very competitive there is so much to be hopefull for but the ability to draw it all together is the key.

For years we beat Dublin in every game, we even knocked them out a couple of years ago when they thought they had a good chance in the All Ireland, difference being now is that the Dubs have great/better structures in place and people who have bought into the plan. We could do what Dublin has done if we all buy into it. Dublin has a thriving club scene and big numbers hurling. Until we do then we will get the odd win every so often and get hammered in the other games.

If Ulster was more competitive then it would bring everyone on. Armagh had made great strides only to go backwards lately. Munster and the rest all have clubs playing in good leagues and Galway don't have to go too far to play tough games, plus the schools have great competitions also.

Having went down to Thurles I was proud to be going to an All Ireland final again as I never thought we'd get there again, the defeat is tough but we have no real complaints other than if there was a collective effort then Antrim could maybe get there again sooner and compete

Orchardman

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 09:51:16 PM
[Having went[/s ] GONE down to Thurles
Ye'll never win an All Ireland till ye get ye're grammar right FFS >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM