2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: rrhf on September 25, 2013, 07:42:00 AM
I'd be confident that Tyrone would have best those two performances on Sunday.

You'd be wrong.

StephenC

Quote from: Sam2011 on September 24, 2013, 11:39:08 PM

There's talk of a few players going traveling next year, not sure if Caff is one. Can't blame them really. The last three years of their lives have been dictated by football. They deserve a break. That's why I really thought this was the year for us.
Caff is going to be a massive loss. Read a very good article about him before the final, seems to be so down to earth and dedicated to football.

Jesus lad. You start by saying there's talk about a few players going travelling (which there is in every county every year), then say you have no idea whether Ger is one of them, and finish with the statement that he's going to be a massive loss.
That's how BS rumours start. I'm sure that's not your intention but everything spoke about at this time of year should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

thewobbler

Tyrone 2003 maybe, Tyrone 2005 and 2008 yes. Tyrone 2013, no chance, what so all.

There's red and white tinted glasses, then there's red and white glasses that prevent you seeing what's really happening. Which is what you're wearing.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:39:07 PM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

Funny you say that, I've the same feeling! Strange, but good!

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

Chances are that if we do get back to a final next year we will be playing the Dubs again. A semi final would be Munster and a 1/4 could be a Cork or a Kerry! That s the harsh reality but another final is attainable but winning it would be a different matter altogether - especially if it is Dublin again. And the reality is that any opposition would be empowered playing us in a final.

I hope Horan does stay on but the same again will not be good enough again. A few new players need to be found.

Disappointing we had nobody on the bench that could be trusted to mark O Gara. If Caff. goes( I appreciate he s not everybody's cup of tea but....)   it leaves a hole and filling it might not be easy. The 2 most likely replacements were not trusted to come on yesterday.

We need genuine 13 corner forward. I still think it was a mistake to discard Regan, but he s barely 20 and another year will see him more mature. But he s the type of player we need imo. Has the quality and wont be fazed by a big occasion. Likes scoring goals and plenty of them.

But apart from that we re not too badly off. There s going to be 5 or 6 All Stars in that squad. What are they going to do? Fishing? Gardening?

I know this is a bad week but Caff is one of the reasons we now play football in September. And he played very well on Sunday too, the first Brogan goal was a flap from the keeper, Cluxton had one as well but that one didn't go our way. The 2nd goal, the much maligned Bastick ran through unopposed and unlike his midfield partners against Kerry, instinctively took the right option at the right time and made it easy for Brogan. Brilliant for Brogan and just unfortunate for Caff, but anyone who knows the game at all knows how good he is.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

I'd be continent of beating Andy Murray in Wimbledon, if only I made the Final.
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Lads listen the future is bright for Mayo.  There was an u10 blitz at kilmacud and Cross u10s were down.   People I know were in Castlebar driving around looking for the big screen that was showing the match.   They had MidWest radio on and they were listening to the sports report.  There was an excellent piece congratulating Ballina Stephenites on beating Cross u10s!   (It failed to say that it was a final group game and that they were knocked out in the next game) Another Mayo team failing at the final hurdle (cross won the Cup competition BTW ;D)

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on September 25, 2013, 08:58:14 AM

What if you drank too much Robinsons barley water?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 09:32:45 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 25, 2013, 08:58:14 AM

What if you drank too much Robinsons barley water?
He might be incontinent

J OGorman

I severly doubt Tyrone would have best either of those two footballing juggernauts @ the weekend

Mayo4Sam

Excellent interview with Andy on Newstalk last nite, said he expected Horan to be back which would be great news. He sat down and watched the match again yesterday, as Wooly said with the nagover and the fear how is that even possible.

Andy also talked about lads looking for their S&C programmes in the next four weeks

Unbelievable commitment, a credit to Mayo
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

That is very depressing really. Just because it's Mayo.
Are kids marked from birth ? How did Tyrone deal with over a century of winning nothing?
Even Armagh won an all Ireland ;).

I would get Billy Morgan and Nudie Hughes up to Ballina to talk about thinking positive
despite a long, long history of failure.

Nudie especially.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntousxt8iJ8

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 25, 2013, 10:49:43 AM
Excellent interview with Andy on Newstalk last nite, said he expected Horan to be back which would be great news. He sat down and watched the match again yesterday, as Wooly said with the nagover and the fear how is that even possible.

Andy also talked about lads looking for their S&C programmes in the next four weeks

Unbelievable commitment, a credit to Mayo

It is almost October, if they weren't looking for off-season training at this stage they'd be failing behind.

We won't know what scars Sunday inflicted until May or June at the earliest. Andy's as positive a man as there is but this was the sort of blow few teams come back better from. We'll see.

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2013, 10:52:56 AM

That is very depressing really. Just because it's Mayo.
Are kids marked from birth ? How did Tyrone deal with over a century of winning nothing?
Even Armagh won an all Ireland ;).

I would get Billy Morgan and Nudie Hughes up to Ballina to talk about thinking positive
despite a long, long history of failure.

Nudie especially.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntousxt8iJ8

How many All-Irelands has Nudie Hughes? And Billy Morgan's last reign in charge of Cork yielded nothing that Mayo teams haven't already achieved over the past 20 years.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."