Roscommon Supporters Most Dedicated in Ireland

Started by Syferus, August 24, 2013, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Proof, if anyone needed it, of who the best county in Ireland is:

QuoteSurvey says: Roscommon fans most dedicated in the country
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 2:40 pm.

92% of Roscommon fans surveyed in Ulster Bank GAA Best Fan poll would cut their summer holiday short to watch their team play in an All-Ireland Final!

GAA fans sacrifice holidays, money and looks for All-Ireland success!

84% of fans across the country would cut holiday short to return home to attend a final.
Two-thirds of fans would not shave for the entire summer for their team to win...
Two in five fans (41%) would sacrifice a €5,000 winning lottery ticket...
Joe Brolly emerges as TV pundit most fans would like to sit beside at All-Ireland final...
It seems GAA fans today would sacrifice almost everything to see their county win an All-Ireland title. A survey this week from Ulster Bank, the official sponsor of the GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship, revealed that most fans would give up their holidays, pass up the opportunity to win the lottery and somewhat alarmingly both male and female fans said they would stop shaving if it meant their county could bring home a coveted All Ireland title.
Over 2,000 fans were surveyed and a whopping 84% admitted they would cut short a summer holiday to come home and watch their county play in an All-Ireland final at Croke Park. Roscommon fans polled even higher with 92% claiming they would come home early to watch a final.
Despite tough economic times, two in five (41%) claimed they would give-up a €5,000 winning lottery ticket if it meant their team would win the All-Ireland. Interestingly, Mayo fans polled much higher when asked this question with two thirds (64%) saying that winning an All-Ireland Football title is worth much more than the €5,000 prize. Not so though for the fans of Kerry, with 70% saying they would prefer the money.
The personal sacrifices that fans would make even extended to grooming.  Two-thirds (66%) revealed they would not shave for the entire summer if it meant their county would win the All-Ireland. The survey revealed that it wasn't just the men who would be prepared to go all hairy, the women too were equally committed to not shaving their legs if it meant their county triumphed in the Final. Most ardent non-shavers were Laois (100%) and Waterford (92%).
Joe Brolly emerged as the GAA television pundit that most fans would choose to sit beside at an All-Ireland final, with one in five of the 2,000 fans surveyed choosing the controversial Derry man. It appears most people would enjoy the controversial views of pundits to keep them entertained during the final as Kerry GAA legend Pat Spillane also not shy about expressing his opinions came second in the poll with almost 13%. The popular 'Sunday Game' host Des Cahill was the third most popular pick receiving 12% of the votes, just ahead of Marty Morrissey who received 9% of the votes. After an impressive first season in the hot seat after hanging up his hurl, Donal Og Cusack's strong analytic skills have been recognised as the Cork man finished sixth in the poll with 8%.
The 2,044 fans surveyed, covering all 32 counties, are clearly a dedicated bunch as 84% 'always' or 'mostly' watch their county's championship matches. Over 80% of the sample said that over half of their immediate family currently owns a county jersey with 30% stating that their entire family owns a county jersey.
The sample also proved themselves to be a knowledgeable group with 75% claiming they can name at least three-quarters of their county's staring fifteen players, while over half (56%) said they could name all fifteen!
Commenting on the Best GAA Fan survey, Ulster Bank GAA ambassador and Cork GAA legend, Seán Óg Ó hAilpín said; "It is great to see a survey focus on the fans and highlight their dedication and passion for Gaelic Games and the results are fantastic. It has been a great summer so far"
The final aspect of the survey looked at the area of rituals with three quarters categorising themselves as 'superstitious supporters' by following a particular pre-match ritual on the day their county plays a championship match. 30% said they always wear the same item of clothing on match-day – their lucky jersey. 18% meet at the same pre-match landmark on game-day.
Where you sit doesn't seem to matter as long as you get a ticket with just 7% saying they always watch a game in the same seat. 15% of people always watch the match with the same group of people.  Superstition doesn't seem to extend to eating habits with just 7% of fans stating they eat a particular match-day meal, of those that do however, unlike the athletes, the fan's most popular pre-match meal is a full Irish fry-up!

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/survey-says-roscommon-fans-most-dedicated-in-the-country/

Shamrock Shore

Hard to miss an AIF for the usual annual Rossie's trip to a caravan in Bundoran, in fairness!

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 12:40:57 PM
92% of Roscommon fans surveyed in Ulster Bank GAA Best Fan poll would cut their summer holiday short to watch their team play in an All-Ireland Final!

And I'll give up my pints of Beamish for a week when I get a ride in the Grand National.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2013, 01:24:17 PM

And I'll give up my pints of Beamish for a week when I get a ride in the Grand National.

You better start tapering off because we only need to beat the baby ruggers and we're heading straight to the fourth Sunday in September.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

ffs Syf what a bullshit thread. Sure it shows Mayo folk are the most likely to put their money where their mouth is. Are the Rossies cutting a trip to Australia or Killarney short?, I bet 99% are the latter.

Actually please don't respond, close this thread.

Why aren't you posting about the Rossies on the minor thread instead of hijacking the senior semi-finals? Stop the Ballagh rubbish, stick to your football team and GAA County Roscommon, stop confusing it with County Council Roscommon.

Stop with trying to claim lads from Dublin, Kerry, Kilkenny, Donegal, Galway, Wexford, Mayo, Tyrone, Dublin etc. You are like the lad in that old UK show Goodness gracious me, who kept saying everything was Indian. Roscommon is a good county, no need for the bull.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 24, 2013, 01:59:34 PM
ffs Syf what a bullshit thread. Sure it shows Mayo folk are the most likely to put their money where their mouth is. Are the Rossies cutting a trip to Australia or Killarney short?, I bet 99% are the latter.

Actually please don't respond, close this thread.

Why aren't you posting about the Rossies on the minor thread instead of hijacking the senior semi-finals? Stop the Ballagh rubbish, stick to your football team and GAA County Roscommon, stop confusing it with County Council Roscommon.

Stop with trying to claim lads from Dublin, Kerry, Kilkenny, Donegal, Galway, Wexford, Mayo, Tyrone, Dublin etc. You are like the lad in that old UK show Goodness gracious me, who kept saying everything was Indian. Roscommon is a good county, no need for the bull.

The survey was conducted on behalf of an Irish institution as lauded as Ulster Bank. A paragon of virtue, to be honest. It's hard to discredit such overwhelming proof that Roscommon lords it above all counties in its dedication-ness.

Do all Mayo lads (and Larries too, apparently) go on around-the-world tours for vacations, such is your fascination with where the Rossie hordes are returning from? Must have found a fair few pots of gold in the bog.

A shallow attack on your neighbours, MayoGod, just because we're better than you.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

QuoteThe survey was conducted on behalf of an Irish institution as lauded as Ulster Bank. A paragon of virtue, to be honest

There are not many people who would put the words 'Irish, Bank, paragon, virtue and honest' into couple of sentences without adding words such as incompetent, bloodsucking, zero credibility etc.

So it sounds about right overall.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Tis easy to SAY ya'll give up the biteen a r&r for a final spot that ya know
wont happen!.Close it down
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Rossfan

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/survey-says-roscommon-fans-most-dedicated-in-the-country/
Ah sure we all know that Syfín.
What other County would outnumber a home County 120 to 150 miles away for a Div 3 NFL game on  the day before our Club Champions were in Croke Park  for an All Ireland Final.
I'm always amazed at the number of us who make away NFL games and the small number who come to the Hyde from other Counties for NFL games.
We are the greatest alright. ( As if we didn't know already of course ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2013, 09:35:29 PM

What other County would outnumber a home County 120 to 150 miles away for a Div 3 NFL game on  the day before our Club Champions were in Croke Park  for an All Ireland Final.
I'm always amazed at the number of us who make away NFL games and the small number who come to the Hyde from other Counties for NFL games.

Will ya stop, sure I remember Mayo outnumbering Cork about 6 or 7 to 1 in Páirc Uí Rinn a few years back. Will ye get off your arses and produce a team to give us proper practice in Connacht.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 24, 2013, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2013, 09:35:29 PM

Will ya stop, sure I remember Mayo outnumbering Cork about 6 or 7 to 1 in Páirc Uí Rinn a few years back. Will ye get off your arses and produce a team to give us proper practice in Connacht.

Didn't ye do the same in PUC this year too? Sure London could probably outnumber Cork at home in football.

To see the Rossie hordes descend on Dublin for what is now regular Primrose and Blue football at HQ is some sight. Don't go stealing our shite while we're away next weekend.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on August 24, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

Popular modern film gets that Roman sign backwards. In ancient Rome, thumbs up was bad.  ;D

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 24, 2013, 09:41:24 PM
Will ya stop, sure I remember Mayo outnumbering Cork about 6 or 7 to 1 in Páirc Uí Rinn a few years back.

1) Cork have poor support Mayo don't
2) It was div 1 game probably for semi final spot?
3) We have brought 20k plus to high profile games when you consider our population compared to the big populated counties that is some turn out.

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 24, 2013, 05:35:04 PM
Tis easy to SAY ya'll give up the biteen a r&r for a final spot that ya know
wont happen!
.Close it down
Have no idea how old you are however in the mid 80s i remember many Mayo supporters that thought they would never reach another All Ireland Final. I know you Mayo chaps nowadays think reaching All Ireland finals is the norm but pre 1989 Mayos final appearances stood at 7 (1916, 1921, 1932, 1936,1948, 1950, 1951) compared to Roscommon  5 (1943,1944,1946, 1962, 1980)

40 plus Connacht titles Mayo have won now and 6 more AI finals yet it still stands at Mayo 3 Roscommon 2 senior All Irelands. After all these years of trying do you think Mayo can make it number 4 this September?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open