Cork v Clare All Ireland SHC Final Sunday 8th September 3.30pm

Started by CitySlicker11, August 22, 2013, 06:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on September 09, 2013, 09:37:16 PM
I've never posted on the hurling discussion before mostly because Armagh folk know very little about hurling in comparison to the two counties who played yesterday.(indeed less than most counties) I think the game was fantastic I started off as a neutral even after living in cork for a couple of years but as the game wore on Clare had the edge.
I simply cannot believe the comments on the radio today about the gaa cashing in..blah blah.. and people from both cork and Clare yapping about having to head back to croke park. anyone who has any spare tickets send them to Armagh it would be a great privilege to get to see the replay of this game from anywhere in croke park.

Funny how you never hear anyone complain after winning a semi-final about having to head back to Croke Park.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: lawnseed on September 09, 2013, 09:37:16 PM
I've never posted on the hurling discussion before mostly because Armagh folk know very little about hurling in comparison to the two counties who played yesterday.(indeed less than most counties) I think the game was fantastic I started off as a neutral even after living in cork for a couple of years but as the game wore on Clare had the edge.
I simply cannot believe the comments on the radio today about the gaa cashing in..blah blah.. and people from both cork and Clare yapping about having to head back to croke park. anyone who has any spare tickets send them to Armagh it would be a great privilege to get to see the replay of this game from anywhere in croke park.

I'd doubt that Gavin had the financial implications of either sets of fans in his mind when 'playing for the draw' which in my mind he didn't. Playing an additional 2 minutes and 40 plus seconds and as someone else mentioned the subs coming on right at the death over 35 minutes is hardly any great injustice in my mind.

I'd say those complaining are a bit on the fair weather side of the supporters groups. There's some of us could only dream of watching our county play in an AI hurling final, let alone be within the puck of a ball of winning it. Christmas would be put on hold if it ever happened.

Bord na Mona man

Regan: Davy's ranting will cost Clare an All-Ireland

Former Offaly hurler Daithi Regan believes Davy Fitzgerald's attitude towards match officials will end up costing Clare an All-Ireland title.

By John Fogarty
The pundit slammed the Clare manager for his post-match comments on Sunday and claimed he shouldered Cork selector Kieran Kingston during the game.

"He needs to be very careful what he says after games. He needs to be very careful about what he does on the sideline because I've heard enough people talk about passion and the drive. Well I'm having none of it. I'm sick to death of it, to be honest. He will cost this Clare team an All-Ireland final yet.

"When referees and sideline men go in at half-time for 15 minutes very simply they don't talk about the weather. They discuss what was going on.

"I watched him closely yesterday. He has a fantastic young team. Do not bring them down, pal. Because I'll tell you what, he walked by Kingston yesterday along the sideline with his hands on his hips and put his shoulder into him lightly but he put his shoulder in. Clare were leading by four points, I looked at the scoreboard and (thought) 'what are you at?'

"He berated the linesman, he berated (Brian) Gavin every time he came anywhere near him."

Speaking on Newstalk's Off The Ball last night, Regan also defended Gavin's performance. He acknowledged his fellow Offaly man made mistakes in the first-half but said he had an "impeccable" second-half.

He also hit back at Ger Loughnane who questioned Gavin's fitness on The Sunday Game, describing the former Clare manager's comments as "disgraceful" and "way out of line".

Meanwhile, Anthony Daly has been re-appointed Dublin manager for a sixth season in charge. The Clarecastle man this year led the county to their first Leinster title since 1961.

http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/regan-davys-ranting-will-cost-clare-an-all-ireland-242548.html

muppet

That sounds like a man ranting giving out about a man ranting.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2013, 09:53:16 AM
That sounds like a man ranting giving out about a man ranting.

Thought that myself. I like Daithi for his no nonsense approach on TV3, but he gets it wrong once in a while.

I wonder did Daithi think the same thing when Cody and Fogarty were having a right go at Anthony Cunningham last year?

FFS, it has no bearing on the game whatsoever.

Asal Mor

They were saying on Radio 1 during the commentary that Davy was roaring from the start at the officials. It's a constant thing with him, whereas other managers like Cody might just do it occasionally during a game. Hard to say whether it has an effect on the referee either way but it's pretty unsporting and not a very good example for kids at the game. It's good crack to watch but the team might be better off if he calmed down a bit on match day.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 10, 2013, 11:44:58 AM
They were saying on Radio 1 during the commentary that Davy was roaring from the start at the officials. It's a constant thing with him, whereas other managers like Cody might just do it occasionally during a game. Hard to say whether it has an effect on the referee either way but it's pretty unsporting and not a very good example for kids at the game. It's good crack to watch but the team might be better off if he calmed down a bit on match day.
It's just Davy's way of doing things.
When he was player, every ball that bisected the uprights was "wide ball, wide ball".
Doctors might call it hurling tourettes.

I remember in 2006 Clare were playing Limerick in a qualifier and absolutely destroying them.
There was an RTE mic behind the goal. It was switched on near the end and it caught Davy sledging some hapless Limerick forward. He was roaring "That's all you're f**king good for. Yahoo! Yahoo! It's all you're good for, yahoo, woohoo".

Milltown Row2

It has the opposite effect on referees, If he thinks by berating the officials that he'll get them to sway more his way then he is truly barking mad. I referee and any manager that whats to have a go at me by shouting constantly will walk, I've done it 3 times this year, if he'd like a quiet word in my ear about something then  fine, anything else is abuse and no ref should take that, only encourages the players and everyone else, supporters included ffs.

The next referee will ref it the way he normally does, he won't be swayed by whats went on before or said in any pre/post match interviews
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Daithi Regan seems to have an opinion on everything these days. Wonder did he ever have a go at Cody for doing the same? I remember a Galway v Kilkenny game in Thurles from around 03/04 when Cody virtually spent the entire game 5 yards inside the field of play roaring at the ref for 70 minutes.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 10, 2013, 12:06:25 PM

It's just Davy's way of doing things.
When he was player, every ball that bisected the uprights was "wide ball, wide ball".
Doctors might call it hurling tourettes.

I remember in 2006 Clare were playing Limerick in a qualifier and absolutely destroying them.
There was an RTE mic behind the goal. It was switched on near the end and it caught Davy sledging some hapless Limerick forward. He was roaring "That's all you're f**king good for. Yahoo! Yahoo! It's all you're good for, yahoo, woohoo".

;D Hilarious. It would be a shame if he changed really.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

It has the opposite effect on referees, If he thinks by berating the officials that he'll get them to sway more his way then he is truly barking mad. I referee and any manager that whats to have a go at me by shouting constantly will walk, I've done it 3 times this year, if he'd like a quiet word in my ear about something then  fine, anything else is abuse and no ref should take that, only encourages the players and everyone else, supporters included ffs.

The next referee will ref it the way he normally does, he won't be swayed by whats went on before or said in any pre/post match interviews

Almost never see an inter-county official get sent off. Maybe it's harder to hear them with the bigger crowds but even 82,000 wouldn't drown out our Davy.

Was just talking to Mammy on skype there. She was saying "it was an awful pity Clare didn't win. I felt so sorry for poor Davy. Awww, If ya saw the little face on him after the game". She was dead serious too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 10, 2013, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Almost never see an inter-county official get sent off. Maybe it's harder to hear them with the bigger crowds but even 82,000 wouldn't drown out our Davy.

Was just talking to Mammy on skype there. She was saying "it was an awful pity Clare didn't win. I felt so sorry for poor Davy. Awww, If ya saw the little face on him after the game". She was dead serious too.

Possibly but he'd be giving the fourth official and the lines men abuse which is the same thing and is against the rules
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

It's really funny to see the GAA force the players into shaking the hands of their opponents and the officials and then 2 minutes later they're cutting the lining out of each other and boys like Davy are giving the officials the worst of bad manners along the line to the linesmen and 4th official.

BTW who voted in this shite about lining up soccer style and shaking hands ?.

Have we not introduced enough of the soccer stuff into GAA eithout trying to further immitate them ?.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2013, 04:15:15 PM

It's really funny to see the GAA force the players into shaking the hands of their opponents and the officials and then 2 minutes later they're cutting the lining out of each other and boys like Davy are giving the officials the worst of bad manners along the line to the linesmen and 4th official.

BTW who voted in this shite about lining up soccer style and shaking hands ?.

Have we not introduced enough of the soccer stuff into GAA eithout trying to further immitate them ?.

Yeah couldn't agree more.  Not sure if anyone has highlighted this but the thing that really f*cked me off about the final was that any time there was a foul or a schmozzle on the field instead of showing a replay of the incident, the big screen in Croker flashed up a 'Give Respect, Get Respect' slogan or an ad for Liberty Insurance.  No one wants to see that guff, just show the match footage.