Quiz and Novelty Act gone from Scor!

Started by theticklemister, August 19, 2013, 05:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Just seen this through twitter, what is the reasoning for this????

Those are the two acts which I thoroughly enjoyed the most.

Eamonnca1

I remember the old quiz format in the 1980s. It was like watching paint dry. I hear they updated it to a table/pub quiz format, but that's still not a great spectator sport. If they used a bit of imagination (and investment) and used electronic buzzers and a permanently visible electronic scoreboard it could be presented like a TV quiz show with a time limit.  It'd be a whole lot more interesting for the audience. Should be achievable, there's only ever one Scór event per weekend in each county, so you'd only need one set of equipment per county. 

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 19, 2013, 05:40:46 PM
I remember the old quiz format in the 1980s. It was like watching paint dry. I hear they updated it to a table/pub quiz format, but that's still not a great spectator sport. If they used a bit of imagination (and investment) and used electronic buzzers and a permanently visible electronic scoreboard it could be presented like a TV quiz show with a time limit.  It'd be a whole lot more interesting for the audience. Should be achievable, there's only ever one Scór event per weekend in each county, so you'd only need one set of equipment per county.

It is done now where a team consists of three players and each person gets asked three questions at different stages and also team questions. You write down the answers on a sheet. The audience however still can answer the questions themselves as the questions are done over a microphone.

Bk a few years aho each contestant had to walk to the microphone and give an answer; half the time the answer was

" I dont know"

Lol

Oldira

This year the individulas were written but the team questions had to answered at the mike. The reason the novelty are gone is that Liam O'Neil claimed many were racist and sectarian in tone and were full of toilet humour. That seems a tad over the top.
The simple fact is that the GAA want rid of Scor completely and the best way is to remove the two copmpetitions that had the most competitors. What is left now is a glorified feis.

mouview

What's the difference between Scor and Fleadh?

theticklemister

Any official press release?

I dunno about the rest of the counties but the biggest amount of competitors weere in the quiz section.

This is a disgrace.

Feckitt

I enjoy the Scor but it goes on far too long.  By removing the quiz and novelty act they are also cutting down on the time.  I agree with previous posters, with a little imagination and very little cost the Quiz could have been kept. 

Novelty act has always been hit and miss.  It's probably the most difficult to do.  Personally I would keep them two and get rid of the recitation.  The elocution lessons brigade do my f**king head in.    I also think that having Rince Foirne and Rince Set needs to be looked at, there is no need for both!!

mouview

Whole thing smacks a little of a former Communist Pioneer movement anyway. Anyone wishing to get ahead in the GAA has to do their time in Socr it seems.

Oldira

Quote from: Feckitt on August 20, 2013, 12:50:15 PM
I enjoy the Scor but it goes on far too long.  By removing the quiz and novelty act they are also cutting down on the time.  I agree with previous posters, with a little imagination and very little cost the Quiz could have been kept. 

Novelty act has always been hit and miss.  It's probably the most difficult to do.  Personally I would keep them two and get rid of the recitation.  The elocution lessons brigade do my f**king head in.    I also think that having Rince Foirne and Rince Set needs to be looked at, there is no need for both!!

Only three clubs took part in the Rince Foirne in the whole of Connacht in 2013. Yet around 25-30 quiz teams took part. Makes no sense.

Sandino

I think this is a very poor and short-sighted decision. I agree that there are improvements that could and should be made to both events. However, the thing about these events that made them special for me was the fact that they brought individuals into clubs that had no skills in football. These people may never have been good enough players to get on any team, many had no inclination to get onto any team. The Novelty Act and Quiz gave them an opportunity to represent their parish and club. Many off these people went on to organise fund raisers in clubs and became an important cog in the background support structure of clubs. As an organisation or club it can't be all about the 'first team'.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

neilthemac

surely the quiz gives the average GAA person the best chance of taking part in a Scór event?

especially those with no musical, dancing, acting or singing abilities

muppet

Quote from: neilthemac on August 20, 2013, 03:45:42 PM
surely the quiz gives the average GAA person the best chance of taking part in a Scór event?

especially those with no musical, dancing, acting or singing abilities

Exactly, except the Novelty Act. That also gave those of us with 'no musical, dancing, acting or singing abilities' a day out.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Novelty acts were always hit and miss all right. I seem to remember there being a rule against vulgarity, so enforcing that would seem to be a better approach than dropping the whole thing. Maybe get clubs to submit scripts in advance to stop any dirt getting on to the stage.

I always got the impression that this was to keep alive the tradition of the mummers. It'd be a shame to completely lose it.

muppet

We (bunch of 14/15 year old lads doing nothing else) decided to enter the novelty act one year.

Only problem was we didn't have an act, a script or even any rehearsals. Somehow one of the lads persuaded us by telling us he had seen this play once which was funny and we let him persuade us to enter. There were no other entrants, and we had no show, but we persuaded the club to let us go ahead into the West County or whatever it was.

We got our friend to describe the play he saw and we drafted a script. We decided to change it so it would be at least a bit original, but it was so bad ('get the Garett carrot gun Garrett' - being the worst line I remember) that we decided to stick to exactly the play our mate described.

We actually got through the West County and with more practice off we went to the County Finals.

We then watched with horror as the act before us put on the exact show we were going to do. We all looked at our mate and he laughed awkwardly and said 'oh yea, that was who I saw do the play'.

Cue Father Ted Eurovision style last minute switch. The line 'get the Garrett carrot gun Garrett' got its day out.

I think I am still banned from Scór in the club.

MWWSI 2017