Castlederg

Started by armaghniac, August 09, 2013, 08:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 12:28:48 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2013, 11:36:05 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2013, 11:31:03 PM
it was great. I could really get into this parading. the bands were class, the uniforms were cool, the speeches were good and the weather was perfect.. not too warm. it was great to meet are tyrone brothers again. this kind of commemoration needs to be moved around each county so all our dead volunteers can be honoured for their sacrifice. we need more monuments. nothing too tacky, the one at Mullaban is class and is a nice place to sit down and say a prayer.
Are you on the wind-up or just a madman?

:D

Thank you for lightening the awfulness of this depressing episode. It does help to remember that we really are dealing with a gang of mad b**tards.
i'm glad you think its funny. I doubt you'd give your life for any cause. I wouldn't like to be on a boat of which you were the captain. it must be cosy where your living far far away in dear old ireland
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Lar Naparka

it was great. I could really get into this parading. the bands were class, the uniforms were cool, the speeches were good and the weather was perfect.. not too warm. it was great to meet are tyrone brothers again. this kind of commemoration needs to be moved around each county so all our dead volunteers can be honoured for their sacrifice. we need more monuments. nothing too tacky, the one at Mullaban is class and is a nice place to sit down and say a prayer.
Unfortunately, I think he's both.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Puckoon

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2013, 08:55:32 PM
Had a mate from the area who said this on Facebook,

QuoteCastlederg and the North West faces bigger issues than any 'Parade' or 'Protest' in the future. I hope the politicians and public are as passionate and enthusiastic about our area then as they are now.

Find it sad that this is what people chose to remember on the same day as we mark the deaths of the Omagh bomb victims, which included the loss of 6 children and 6 teenagers.

August 15 1998

lawnseed

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
it was great. I could really get into this parading. the bands were class, the uniforms were cool, the speeches were good and the weather was perfect.. not too warm. it was great to meet are Tyrone brothers again. this kind of commemoration needs to be moved around each county so all our dead volunteers can be honoured for their sacrifice. we need more monuments. nothing too tacky, the one at Mullaban is class and is a nice place to sit down and say a prayer.
Unfortunately, I think he's both.
we are under no illusions the position is sinn fein are taking ownership of the past. men died for their country in a battle that couldn't be won militarily speaking.(ask Argentina)  we know where we are at and we are taking ownership of this country its not an orange state any more, we don't stare into the ground when we meet our orange neighbours,  we look then in the eye and say your British and this IS ireland but I'm willing to accept you warts and all but you have to do the same.
maybe other southern brothers could do the same and take ownership of their own country stop treating it like they borrowed it from england

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 12, 2013, 12:07:39 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2013, 11:43:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2013, 11:38:42 PM
Kelly's comments about shared space is fine. But the "we'll do what we like regardless" is a mirror image of what we are used to.

You have to keep the electorate happy.

But there seems to be a genuine breakdown in relations over this whole fleg and parading issue between SF and the DUP.
Do the SF electorate really buy this shit? I don't beloeve for one minute that people would stop voting Sinn Fein if they said tomorrow that they would continue to remember volunteers in a lower key ceremony in a field amd would stop backing marches/parades in any town. I honestly believe there would be political capital in this approach with minimal pushback from the electorate.
you don't get it.. take a few steps back you'll see more of the big picture ;)

lawnseed

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2013, 11:43:10 PM
Kelly's comments about shared space is fine. But the "we'll do what we like regardless" is a mirror image of what we are used to.

You have to keep the electorate happy.

But there seems to be a genuine breakdown in relations over this whole fleg and parading issue between SF and the DUP.
no the whole thing is going to plan

Tony Baloney

I'm still not sure.

LeoMc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 12, 2013, 08:36:49 AM
I'm still not sure.

I have been suspecting a quality WUM for some time now. This was just slightly less subtle than his sheep tirades at the non-SF electorate.

Tubberman

Quote from: lawnseed on August 12, 2013, 12:55:46 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 12:28:48 AM

:D

Thank you for lightening the awfulness of this depressing episode. It does help to remember that we really are dealing with a gang of mad b**tards.
i'm glad you think its funny. I doubt you'd give your life for any cause. I wouldn't like to be on a boat of which you were the captain. it must be cosy where your living far far away in dear old ireland

And they looked great in their white shirts and sunglasses - adds a real touch of class.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery they say - the OO will be blushing.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

Less parades not more - in fact no more "Parades" for the next 6 months !!

Police Federation in Northern Ireland calls for parades ban  Loyalist protesters confronted police in Belfast city centre Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Six men charged after Belfast riots
56 officers hurt in Belfast riots
Tough talking

The chairman of the Police Federation has called for all contentious parades in Northern Ireland to be stopped for six months.

Terry Spence said a parades moratorium would allow political representatives to find a solution to the issue.

His comments follow violence in Belfast city centre on Friday night after loyalist protesters blocked a republican parade on Royal Avenue.

Fifty-six officers were injured during the trouble.

Police fired 26 plastic bullets and made eight arrests amid sustained rioting in Royal Avenue.

Mr Spence said a ban on parades "would give everyone a breathing space so that Richard Haass, the special envoy from the United States, can do his work and it also gives the police service time to consolidate their position".

He added: "What we need is an urgent surge in resources, because it is quite obvious on the basis of what has been happening over the past year that the police service is stretched to the limit."

In response, a spokesperson for the Ulster People's Forum said: "Someone needs to make it clear to the PSNI that they are there to enforce the law, and the running of our democratic systems, politics and the judiciary are nothing to do with them."

'Intent on violence'

Earlier, a senior PSNI officer said it was clear to police early on Friday evening that loyalists opposing a republican parade were intent on violence.

Assistant Chief Constable George Hamilton said none of the loyalist protest groups seemed to show any leadership to stop the violence.

"It was pretty clear to us from about half past five on Friday that there was a significant number, probably the majority of people on Royal Avenue, determined not to engage properly with the police, but probably had some violent intent," he said.

"There was no semblance of any organisation or co-ordination or leadership from any protest group, we just couldn't see it.

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote
The resilience and the tenacity of our rank and file officers simply amazes me, I am extremely proud of them"

"We didn't see at any point, and we were monitoring it all week as you can imagine, any mobilisation to protest in a way that people had notified to the Parades Commission, it just simply didn't happen.

"Instead what we saw was chaos, disorganisation and violence being meted out against our officers."

ACC Hamilton said he did not think there had been too few police at the protests, saying there were "only so many police officers you can put into Royal Avenue".

Main Street

Gerry makes the claim for republicans, in the face of intense hatred/ ethnic condescension from unionists,  to take up their right for a 5% slice of the shared marching space in the town, the commemoration parade is legal, passes off peacefully and you call that a mirror image of what you are use to?

lawnseed

Its all falling into place nicely. castlederg will be remembered as defining moment in modern nordie history. Loyalists saw what we see and the didnt like it one bit. A mirror was held up and it was grotesque. Mission accomplished. Even in death these volonteers are furthering a better ireland.

May they rest in peace.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on August 12, 2013, 04:59:15 PM
Its all falling into place nicely. castlederg will be remembered as defining moment in modern nordie history. Loyalists saw what we see and the didnt like it one bit. A mirror was held up and it was grotesque. Mission accomplished. Even in death these volonteers are furthering a better ireland.

May they rest in peace.
It might well be remembered for SF commemorating those who killed themselves on their way to blow up a town, on the anniversary of a bomb that killed 29 people in another town just down the road.

It was only by good luck that the two were killed by their own bomb before they had the chance to kill others.

They did nothing to further a "better Ireland" then, and such parades will do nothing to further a better Ireland now.

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2013, 05:21:12 PM

May they rest in peace.
It might well be remembered for SF commemorating those who killed themselves on their way to blow up a town, on the anniversary of a bomb that killed 29 people in another town just down the road.

It was only by good luck that the two were killed by their own bomb before they had the chance to kill others.

They did nothing to further a "better Ireland" then, and such parades will do nothing to further a better Ireland now.
Your the only  poster on this forum who'd take pleasure in the deaths of two fellow irishmen spoken like a true stoop.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on August 12, 2013, 05:32:38 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2013, 05:21:12 PM

May they rest in peace.

Your the only  poster on this forum who'd take pleasure in the deaths of two fellow irishmen spoken like a true stoop.
I take no pleasure in anyone's death. But they had a choice - they died through their own actions. Their victims - potentially innocent civilians - would have had no choice. I think it's 'good luck' that this was avoided and that it didn't end up like Omagh.