Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2013, 07:56:02 PM
Donegal playing great football last year and the game today being a great game aren't mutually exclusive

Except, Dublin have been playing great football all year.

squire_in_navy_slacks

macdanger2

Quote from: Canalman on September 01, 2013, 08:02:47 PM
We haven't beaten Mayo 1st time out in nigh on generations I think.

Long may it last  ;D

BallyhaiseMan

That was to put it simply an absolutely fantastic game of football,certainly the best i've ever seen. I hope that is not the last we have seen of Tomás Ó Sé (he was brilliant today) and perhaps his brother Marc, Paul Galvin and Kieran Donaghy playing in a Kerry jersey. They have given us all such great entertainment over the last decade.

rrhf

game hadnt a patch on the all ireland semi or final in 2005.  Visually if we are moving into an era where defenses arent needed then It should be a good laugh going forward.
Kerry lost the game because they didnt rip down McMenamen whereas the Dubs took out Cooper going through.  that was the difference in the teams.

yellowcard

Whilst it was an entertaining game and made for compelling viewing I would not confuse that for QUALITY. There were numerous kicks that drifted over sidelines, easy chances spurned from both free kicks and play and lots of errors. Having said that it was an intense battle played largely in the right spirit and with less of the cautious possession based, no risk football we are often served up. It was definitely an enjoyable match.

The actual quality of a match sometimes gets exaggerated by people getting caught up in the atmosphere of a Dubs match in front of a full house. Add to this some people's romanticised view of the Dubs v Kerry thing and there is almost a willingness to glorify the spectacle.

yellowcard

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2013, 08:26:12 PM
game hadnt a patch on the all ireland semi or final in 2005.  Visually if we are moving into an era where defenses arent needed then It should be a good laugh going forward.
Kerry lost the game because they didnt rip down McMenamen whereas the Dubs took out Cooper going through.  that was the difference in the teams.

For me, in terms of pure quality of football, 2005 was the best year of the modern era with some great matches between Tyrone, Armagh and Kerry sides either at or close to their peak. And I say that as someone with no love for Tyrone.

J OGorman

come on Tyrone posters....it was a brilliant game of football. You guys must be over last weekend by now  ;)

larryin89

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

See that sums your ethos on Gaelic football and the quicker your thinking is fucked off through a proper addressing of the games rules the better and your ilk can go and ..........

You haven't an ounce of gra for the art of our great game, ye make me sick.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Wildweasel74

Get over last wkend, they spend the whole game looking for drag downs. think there were about 5 black card type tackles in the game which wasnt too bad, didnt think the ref was as bad as people are making out, he tried to let the game flow, the Kerry man ran into the keeper but the ref has no replay and from his angle it would have looked as if the keeper dragged him down. Cooper incident probably was a yellow card and it may have changed the game. Overall seen alot worse ref wise

emmetryan

Hi lads,

Tactical analysis of Dublin's win over Kerry now up, with a reference to Henry V to boot (took me a while to fit one in this season)
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7618

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 01, 2013, 08:58:52 PM
Get over last wkend, they spend the whole game looking for drag downs. think there were about 5 black card type tackles in the game which wasnt too bad, didnt think the ref was as bad as people are making out, he tried to let the game flow, the Kerry man ran into the keeper but the ref has no replay and from his angle it would have looked as if the keeper dragged him down. Cooper incident probably was a yellow card and it may have changed the game. Overall seen alot worse ref wise
i actually think the ref did quite well today, let the game flow as much as possible.made one or two errors, but overall contributed to an enjoyable game.
However lets not kid ourselves by saying this was cynical foul free,there were as many examples of the cynical foul as any other game (from both sides) The difference was the 3 clowns in the rte studio didnt have a  meltdown today, so there is no mention of it.
for me though it didnt spoil the entertainment, even though I have seen higher overall quality games, it was certainly enjoyable.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JimStynes

Anywhere to watch a replay or highlights of the game online

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on September 01, 2013, 08:28:54 PM
Whilst it was an entertaining game and made for compelling viewing I would not confuse that for QUALITY. There were numerous kicks that drifted over sidelines, easy chances spurned from both free kicks and play and lots of errors. Having said that it was an intense battle played largely in the right spirit and with less of the cautious possession based, no risk football we are often served up. It was definitely an enjoyable match.

The actual quality of a match sometimes gets exaggerated by people getting caught up in the atmosphere of a Dubs match in front of a full house. Add to this some people's romanticised view of the Dubs v Kerry thing and there is almost a willingness to glorify the spectacle.

I wouldn't confuse it for the puke football Tyrone entertained us with in 2003 and Donegal's ultra puke effort last year.

There was nothing romantic about the dross dished up in either year. Except everything that's bad about the game

snoopdog

well done dublin and Kerry on a fantastic game of football. Great to watch our game being played mostly at its best. hoping for a final with the same qualty.