Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Kerry should have reacted to the NCT test they had last year. They haven't been up to speed for a while.

J OGorman

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2013, 05:47:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 01, 2013, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 01, 2013, 05:12:21 PM
Tomas O Se deserves a special mention after another brilliant display for about 45 mins but unfortunately like a few other great Kerry stalwarts the body gets to a stage where it won't responds to what the mind wants. Big rebuilding job ahead for Kerry. Mayo will be happy tonight however. The quality of this game is already being seriously overhyped.

Game was riddled with loose marking and mistakes. Reminded me of the AI semi final between Dublin and Mayo in 2006!

I thought McStay's "game of the decade" comment was ridiculous.

We're all aware that Ulster can bring the game to the other extreme, but there is a happy medium. It is possible to have a good intense game with attacking football, superb passing AND good defending. I remember the hype way back in the early 2000s over a Kerry v Galway game (the AI final one?) with lots of loose marking and nice score taking. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but to me it was like watching a challenge match. Nice football and exhibition of the skills are vital, of course, but you have to have the intensity and suspense when you're talking "game of the season/decade" stuff.

Challenge match? No player left anything out on that pitch. Was a a dose of fresh air compared to the sh1te fests Donegal have served us recently

Wildweasel74

Challenge match lol, hell no, this is the way gaelic football should be played for a spectator sport, not the crap Donegal brought to the table last year. If Donegal were good enough they play this way but havent got the players to do this, and hence revert to this ultra defensive style to try and turn teams over

J70

Quote from: J OGorman on September 01, 2013, 05:54:32 PM
Tomas O Se deserves a special mention after another brilliant display for about 45 mins but unfortunately like a few other great Kerry stalwarts the body gets to a stage where it won't responds to what the mind wants. Big rebuilding job ahead for Kerry. Mayo will be happy tonight however. The quality of this game is already being seriously overhyped.

Game was riddled with loose marking and mistakes. Reminded me of the AI semi final between Dublin and Mayo in 2006!

We're all aware that Ulster can bring the game to the other extreme, but there is a happy medium. It is possible to have a good intense game with attacking football, superb passing AND good defending. I remember the hype way back in the early 2000s over a Kerry v Galway game (the AI final one?) with lots of loose marking and nice score taking. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but to me it was like watching a challenge match. Nice football and exhibition of the skills are vital, of course, but you have to have the intensity and suspense when you're talking "game of the season/decade" stuff.

Challenge match? No player left anything out on that pitch. Was a a dose of fresh air compared to the sh1te fests Donegal have served us recently

To clarify, the "challenge match" comment was about the Kerry-Galway game hype  I mentioned in the previous sentence in that paragraph. Although that match today was certainly lacking intensity, for me. Exciting at times with some nice football, yes. Game of the decade level? Not a chance!

And yes, Donegal were awful this year.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 01, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
Challenge match lol, hell no, this is the way gaelic football should be played for a spectator sport, not the crap Donegal brought to the table last year. If Donegal were good enough they play this way but havent got the players to do this, and hence revert to this ultra defensive style to try and turn teams over

You can (deservedly) criticize Donegal this year or in 2011, but I fail to see how anyone with a clue could find much fault with the way they won the AI last year.

Mike Sheehy

Well done Dublin. Should be a great final and good luck to both teams. We have some rebuilding to do but hats off to the lads that lined out today. They did the jersey proud and that's all we can ask of them.

Orior

Great game by 40 or so amateurs in front of 82,000 fans. Where else in the world would that happen?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

straightred

Quote from: J OGorman on September 01, 2013, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2013, 05:37:44 PM
True but that's balanced by the soft peno in the first half

Soft? You tackle a man further out the pitch around the neck its a foul and yellow.  No different in the wee square

Dont Matter. .you're some pollution sir

Maybe not the game of the decade, but right up there

a charge with the shoulder into his chest. Anywhere else on the pitch is a free to the defender

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2013, 06:06:39 PM

To clarify, the "challenge match" comment was about the Kerry-Galway game hype  I mentioned in the previous sentence in that paragraph. Although that match today was certainly lacking intensity, for me. Exciting at times with some nice football, yes. Game of the decade level? Not a chance!

We're helping to bring football back to the people along with Kerry and Mayo. You're welcome to play rugby league over in the UK next year. I hear they are looking for some new entrants. You'd do well over there.

There is a reaosn why Donegal couldn't participate in a game like that today.

Because you're not good enough. Challenge match intensity- what a load of rubbish. Similar to the rubbish football we've been subjected to by your players masquerading as Gaelic Footballers

I won't be too disappointed if we lose the final. Mayo play the game the way it should be played. let the best team win.

Commiserations to Kerry- little bit of tweaking for them to do but they'll be back sooner rather then later hopefully. Simply because they play the game the way it was envisaged in 1884.

Zulu

No way was it a penalty, there was a clear charge first.

Huge intensity, not at the level of some other games in the past but getting 13 men behind the ball isn't the only way to have intensity in a game.

Brilliant game.

Roll on the final, can't wait.

haze

It was a brilliant game, with an amazing atmosphere. The first 20-25 minutes was just a joy to there.

Game did not lack any intensity - not sure how it came accross on tv but both teams looked to have left it all on the pitch. Admission fee was worth it alone to watch Gooch in the first half.

One question I have is how Paddy Andrews is persisted with by Jim Gavin. Thought he was Dublin's weak link before the game and during it he did nothing to suggest be should be starting.

omagh_gael

Not a patch on a middlin' hurling match though ;)

Frank Casey

Well done Dublin.

I think its time we took out a contract on Kevin Mc. Once bitten.......... ;)
KERRY 3:7

Syferus

A glorious end for one of football's greatest teams.

I was surprised at how long Kerry hung with Dublin for the script was unchanged, they simply didn't have enough gas in the tank. Even before they went 20-19 up you could see the legs fading. Declan O' was in front of his man for a pass on the Hogan sideline and his man accelerated past him and hovered up the ball before Declan could get a hand on it. That's when I knew it was probably game over for Kerry.

They showed the resolve of true champions and made this match into a classic and a masterclass of how football should be played in tactics, skill and vision. The best sport on Earth.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2013, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2013, 06:06:39 PM

We're helping to bring football back to the people along with Kerry and Mayo. You're welcome to play rugby league over in the UK next year. I hear they are looking for some new entrants. You'd do well over there.

There is a reaosn why Donegal couldn't participate in a game like that today.

Because you're not good enough. Challenge match intensity- what a load of rubbish. Similar to the rubbish football we've been subjected to by your players masquerading as Gaelic Footballers

I won't be too disappointed if we lose the final. Mayo play the game the way it should be played. let the best team win.

Commiserations to Kerry- little bit of tweaking for them to do but they'll be back sooner rather then later hopefully. Simply because they play the game the way it was envisaged in 1884.
Bollocks.
Donegal were immense last year.