Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Shane, hard station is right. The referee blew for the free. Rightly or wrongly doesn't really matter, at that stage the play was dead. Seriously unbelievable the amount of talk here about an non event.

lawnseed

don't understand why sean Cavanagh didn't try going in at full forward in the second half for ten minutes. just to what happened.

I found myself cheering tyrone yesterday :o

cant stand mayo I just know Dublin or Kerry will tear a new hole in their arses
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ONeill

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 26, 2013, 04:28:07 AM
Shane, hard station is right. The referee blew for the free. Rightly or wrongly doesn't really matter, at that stage the play was dead. Seriously unbelievable the amount of talk here about an non event.

What do you mean rightly or wrongly? I was highlighting another example of Deegan's ineptitude. He was wrong,  totally wrong, to blow for a non-existent foul which prevented a serious goal scoring opportunity.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Gaelic Football when played between 2 good teams is about momentum for the winners.  Either team let loose will destroy the other in their spell.The referee did not let tyrone take advantage of the momentum and dominance  and kept Mayo in touch, this was not reciprocated later in the game. I heard the term arrogance being used to describe the performance.  It was as if his mind was made up as to what was to happen before it happened and there was to be no changing.  Hence the Mayo free when they could have had a goal, but bear in mind Tyrone had stopped.  A different referee and O Shea was off the field also.  But back to the game and what Tyrone could have done to win it..
The loss of Stevie O Neill and Harte was ultimately disastrous.  Despite some nice points.  The work rate from the full forward line wasnt up to scratch hence the opening point from play after 32mins - ironically young Coney improved this but the game was over. 
Tyrone were carrying 6 - 7 subs in their programme who would have been more or less making their debut had they been brought into action, in other words they probably shouldnt have been there or we should have seen more that them over the year.  I wonder what some of the lads on their last legs think of this idea of giving them bench experience for next year.  Next year is a never never.  Tyrone have got to few enough semifinals to have this attitude.  There are a number of footballers who need to thanked and let go, they have been injured perennially over the last few years and are now starting to look like they are a poor investment in time, focus and physio bills - sometimes the body just isnt fit for county demands and management need to look at this.. Tyrone need to pick proven fit men for their panel next year.  The onus should be on footballers to prove their strength and athletic capability for the rigours of a season.  I feel our management could communicate better with clubs going forward and guys should rehabilitate with their clubs until they are fit to return for their county.    Sean Cavanagh must also be made captain - I think he has earned it more than anyone. 
I sincerely hope Mayo push on now.  They still start games weak and had Tyrone been allowed to push further in front the result would have been the same as last years final. .  I fear that Mayo are still a confidence team and that can be fragile enough at times particularly when they are on front of goals They must work on that.  They are a class act in full flow, but they will not get kind punditry or refereeing V Dubs or Kerry.  I also fear that their best team isnt starting and there are no room for passengers on and off the field.  Their supporters are a class act and iits up to the team to deliver for them.  Horan has the makings of an ai winning manager, I hope they do it and I will be there to cheer them on, having seen them beat in 6 finals previously, I swore I would never go back but this year might be different.   On a lesser note I watched on as a so called steward giving dogs abuse to Tyrone fans in front of me being totally unprofessional and antagonising, totally buying the rte line, and instead of doing his job creating a potential problem.  This will be the ultimate legacy of rte punditry - a lack of respect for Tyrone football people.  Amongst other things do these guys get paid? What happens when the steward at some point gets a well deserved slap for their auld guff.   
Finally it was a decent season for Tyrone football. No silverware but a top 4 finish and it was highly enjoyable, as Tyrone folk we thank our management and players for their hard work, and new plans can be hatched in time.   

seafoid

We might get another 40 pages out of the ref.
And then the punditry.

bcarrier

Both Aidan o se and Sean Cavanagh could have got straight reds but ended up lying on the ground receiving treatment after their indiscretions/reckless challenges.

In my view  McConnells intervention was particularly stupid as it created an element of "noise" after the o se  challenge.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: bcarrier on August 26, 2013, 08:49:49 AM
Both Aidan o se and Sean Cavanagh could have got straight reds but ended up lying on the ground receiving treatment after their indiscretions/reckless challenges.

In my view  McConnells intervention was particularly stupid as it created an element of "noise" after the o se  challenge.

Agree, both could have got straight reds, though both would have been harsh IMO. Yellow for each probably the fair call.

No idea why Deegan ignored the Cavanagh one
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: BennyCake on August 25, 2013, 04:02:30 PM
Mayo shit the nest again, when it really matters. Like Kildare, they just don't have the natural footballers required to win an AI.

HAH
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 07:23:24 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on August 26, 2013, 04:28:07 AM

What do you mean rightly or wrongly? I was highlighting another example of Deegan's ineptitude. He was wrong,  totally wrong, to blow for a non-existent foul which prevented a serious goal scoring opportunity.

It should have been a free out for a push in the back when the ball came in anyway. Deegan is such a poor ref he couldn't hide that he was supposed to get Mayo through. It was as biased a refereeing performance as I've seen in a long time.

seafoid

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2013, 09:28:34 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 25, 2013, 04:02:30 PM
Mayo shit the nest again, when it really matters. Like Kildare, they just don't have the natural footballers required to win an AI.

HAH
It was some reference to artificial insemination made under pressure.

cornerback

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 25, 2013, 10:17:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 10:11:13 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on August 25, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 09:52:23 PM
Quote from: under the bar on August 25, 2013, 09:48:19 PM
Looks like BCB quite enjoyed watching Peter Harte getting injured! ::)

f**k up you ye p***k. I said it was a great example of the shoulder charge and that is by both players. I never said anything about enjoying seeing a lad injured. You really are an idiot.

you can only shoulder to shoulder tackle if the player is in posession, Peter Harte was not in posession.

It would have been a great shoulder if Harte had been in possession of the ball, but it was about two meters away, so it should have been a yellow card.

Utter nonsense, a perfect challenge in a physical game. The exact kind of physicality we want in the game.
Familiarise yourself with the rule before spouting off:

Provided he has at least one foot on the
ground, a player may make a shoulder to
shoulder charge on an opponent:-
(a) who is in possession of the ball, or
(b) who is playing the ball other than when kicking it, or
(c) when both players are moving in the
direction of the ball to play it.

highorlow

QuoteQuote from: highorlow on August 25, 2013, 11:31:52 PM
As predicted closer than most Mayo posters made it to be. We got out of jail today and no disrespect to Tyrone but if that was Dublin in the 1st half playing in their home pitch than I think we were codswalloped.

Sam is Dublins to lose now.

p.s. fair play to Tyrone fans for staying on and applauding their team until the end. Ye are true gaels.
A mayo man crying out for underdog status, talk about pathetic! Mayo have been the best team in the country this summer and will win the final handy ! Time for ye to show some confidence in them

The aul favorites tag didn't suit yesterday in the first half. It won't be me setting the odds. This might sound even more pathetic to you but I would be more confident in the team if we were going into the final as slight underdogs.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Chimley

(c) when both players are moving in the
direction of the ball to play it.

This allows players to shoulder when neither are in possession of the ball but are in chase to get there.

screenexile

I know it's not helping but I thought it was a foot block. The defendery moved his foot towards the ball to block. If I was refereeing I would have given it!

muppet

A good performance from about 25 mins onwards. They will look hard at the video to figure out what went wrong in the first 25 as that can't be allowed to happen again.

I can understand the comments on the ref, I thought he was chronic from a Mayo POV. TSG clearly demonstrated why Tyrone are entitled to feel aggrieved with him too. That takes some talent, to piss everyone off.

For Freeman's disallowed goal I saw the refs hand up and feared the worst. The penalty was just outside but definitely was a free.

The foot block discussion here is hilarious. The normal interpretation of the rule is that if your foot block the ball just as the kicker is striking it from the hand, then it is a free and instinctively players know it is dangerous as you could break the other player's foot. Kicking the ball off another player's foot or leg is a different thing.

Reading the rule it doesn't disagree with the above. The issue isn't distance, it is time. 'When the ball is kicked from the hand' (or whatever the wording is) means at that instant, or exactly as the ball is being kicked.

"you can only shoulder to shoulder tackle if the player is in possession"

What about two players running for a loose ball? Can they shoulder each other?

Must comment on the Tyrone fans who I thought were great before, during and after the match.
MWWSI 2017