Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rodman on August 24, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 24, 2013, 08:34:52 AM
Rodman is correct. We haven't a hope in hell. We'll do extremely qell to score one point in this match. Tyrone only need Cavanagh to walk around for 70 mins. I don't know why I'll bother going at all!

I have never said Mayo haven't a hope. In fact, i think Mayo will most likely win. What I disagree with is Mayo being pronounced as the greatest team ever and that Tyrone are not in their league. Listening to Off the Ball on Thursday night from Castlebar you would think they were talking about the great Kerry team of the 70's and 80's. At the moment all they are is a very good team with an excellent manager but nothing special. Mayo should beat this average Tyrone team but I don't think they will win the final so ultimately all they will be remembered for is a team that lost 2 all-Ireland finals, just like the Mayo team 04/06.

Lets just wait and see. Then make your judgments. Anyway enjoy the occasion. I know both teams have made semi finals a regularity the last couple of years. But semis are still moments to savour and enjoy.

BennyHarp

Right fellas, now that An Gaeilgoir has saved the thread with his insightful analysis, I think it's time to go and lie down in preparation for the game. I must say the Mayo lads are very passionate about their team and the county deserves a visit from Sam. I for one have enjoyed the pre match banter on this thread and here's hoping for a good, tight competitive game tomorrow. Best of luck to both teams, it should be a great occasion - Tyrone by 2. Bring it on!!
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

There are more than 'one or two players' on that Tyrone team.

Cavanagh, O'Neill, Gormley, MCConnell and the McMahons have been there, done that. That is 6/15.

The Donnellys look like they are good players and they are trying to blend in some of the recent good minors they have had.

I wouldn't dismiss them until the final whistle on Sunday.
MWWSI 2017

Crete Boom

Can't wait for the game and while I am confident the main worry is what will Mayo do if this game is in the balance in the final quarter or final 10 mins?

Also while Sean Cavanagh will be very close to player of the year his threat is an obvious one and there are a couple more which will rattle Mayo before the 70 mins are up.

Joe McMahon is probably for me now the most important Tyrone player behind Cavanagh. He is arguably the best reader of the game around , one of the best ball player I have seen (his distribution is top notch and often overlooked) and is the only player at the moment who can play the sweeper role high up the pitch or deep( he does it so consistently) while being a huge scoring threat from distance.

Stevie O' Neill could be the ace in the pack especially if he moves out to on the forty. His distribution could be the key for McCurry and McAilskey doing damage inside. He hasn't been at his best this year since the league but Ciaran Mac wasn't having a vintage year for us in 06 but in the Dublin match he hit form and all hell broke loose so with space further out the field he would make me nervous anyway.

I think Tyrone if the get the match ups right and break the ball successfully in the middle won't need more than their average of 13 or 14 points to win the game allied to their big game mentality which can;'t be discounted.

With Mayo I think the spread of our form in the team is what makes me confident. I expect Boyler to giving the task of watching Cavanagh with the O'Sheas being left to choke the midfield for Tyrone.If Tyrone break every ball we will have Higgins , McLoughlin , Keegan , Dillion and Seami O Shea to contest and so far they have won more than they lost.

Short kick outs are dangerous against Mayo this year such is the power and speed which we turn over the ball and this could lead to a couple of goals if Packie McConnell gets these even slightly wrong and if they rely on these for to by pass midfield I expect the Tyrone backs be under huge pressure in possesion.

Our full forward line is the real difference for us this year with Freeman , O' Connor and Andy all carrying a goal threat, been able to win their own ball on the ground and in the air and well able to turn and beat their men. They also create great space for the runners from deep with Donie Vaughan and Higgins likely to be the big threats here.

All in all I don't have the confidence in predicting a 10 to 25 point win but I do think if we bring our A game Tyrone will struggle to stay with us and I would expect a comfortable 4 point win if this happens. If it is a dogfight it is 50/50 and we will find out a huge amount about the fight in both teams and in spirit of bold predictions from the men of the west , regardless of the winners ,Sam will be heading to the victors of this game.

Safe journey to all and may the pints sit easy tomorrow evening.

highorlow

Best of luck to all tomorrow. Always good banter and respect between Tyrone and Mayo support. Great to be still in the championship at the end of August.

p.s Mayo by 4.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

oneoftheseyears

I personally don't care if we have No players with fancy boots, no marquee forwards, no stand out players, No all star nominees, no All stars, No players of the year, No Man of the Match awards or even No players on the team of the millennium. If this crowd does the business and wins an AI, that's all i care about.  This is a team game. If you want a Gaa sport in which good individuals thrive, then Handball is your game!
+1 (multiplied x 62 ::)  )
Crap quoting..... sorry :-[ :-[ :-[

Seamus

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 24, 2013, 12:43:05 PM
  regardless of the winners ,Sam will be heading to the victors of this game.

Dublin overall have been the outstanding team this year. Mayo very impressive against a ragged Donegal. I do expect to see a Dublin/Mayo final and will wait until both semis are played until making any final predictions. With comments like above and what I'm hearing elsewhere unfortunately the hype seems to be gathering amongst Mayo supporters. If they win on Sunday it will only grow, if they win convincingly it could grow out of all proportions. It has happened in the past, '97 and '04 readily come to mind. This year the team seems very focused and grounded under James Horan but the players are only human and if Mayo do prevail on Sunday it will be hard for them not to get caught up in the hype. 
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

From the Bunker

Quote from: Seamus on August 24, 2013, 07:20:57 PM

Dublin overall have been the outstanding team this year. Mayo very impressive against a ragged Donegal. I do expect to see a Dublin/Mayo final and will wait until both semis are played until making any final predictions. With comments like above and what I'm hearing elsewhere unfortunately the hype seems to be gathering amongst Mayo supporters. If they win on Sunday it will only grow, if they win convincingly it could grow out of all proportions. It has happened in the past, '97 and '04 readily come to mind. This year the team seems very focused and grounded under James Horan but the players are only human and if Mayo do prevail on Sunday it will be hard for them not to get caught up in the hype.

You are correct in saying Dublin are the team of the moment, good league run followed by league title, followed by good championship form. The reason the media are not taking the usual notice of Dublin is because Mayo's game v Donegal was after their last game and Mayo's semi final is before theirs. Next week madness will ensue.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Seamus on August 24, 2013, 07:20:57 PM

If i were to pick semi final where the winner will come from it will be next weekends however like you said its best to wait until both semis are played.

Zulu

What kind of crowd is expected tomorrow, I've heard 50,000 but I also heard they're expecting 70,000 which would be a massive crowd for a semi without the Dubs?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2013, 09:27:50 PM
What kind of crowd is expected tomorrow, I've heard 50,000 but I also heard they're expecting 70,000 which would be a massive crowd for a semi without the Dubs?

Could be 40,000 travelling up from the West if all those I heard are heading up.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tubberman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 24, 2013, 09:30:14 PM

Hard to know. I know a lot of people are up for the weekend but I've also seen a good few trying to get rid of tickets on twitter

Could be 40,000 travelling up from the West if all those I heard are heading up.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: everymanaman on August 24, 2013, 09:54:44 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 24, 2013, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 24, 2013, 09:30:14 PM
you should make a play for the Guinness book of records for knowing 40,000 people.  Facebook must love you

Hard to know. I know a lot of people are up for the weekend but I've also seen a good few trying to get rid of tickets on twitter

Lads sort out yer quoting. It is clear I was making an estimation on the % of people both regular GAA and bandwagon saying they are going in relation to other similar occasions. This has 40,000 from the Whest feel to it.

What is the guestimation from the Narth?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Honk if you see the Ros-mobile on the way to Maynooth tomorrow :-*

cicfada

This could be a difficult match for mayo . Will they be as fired up as they were for the Donegal match I wonder ? Tyrone are dogged too but I just don't see them getting enough scores to win it. I would think the dubs would prefer Tyrone to win this match while Kerry would prefer mayo  to win it.