Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

It's more than unfortunate that Tyrone have got the brunt of Joe's rant. Their name is tarnished because a lot of people will just go with Joe on this, forgetting all the superb things Tyrone have brought to Gaelic Football in the last ten years. That's the damaging part of Joe's rant and that's essentially why it was misplaced and wrong, so please don't lose that or underplay it when you agree with the sentiment of Joe's message. It's no wonder Tyrone people are standing up for their county, you would do the same. We get accused lazily of being blinkered but for heaven's sake, we have won 3 Sams in ten years and contributed enormously to the modern game.

Syferus

Quote from: Any craic on August 04, 2013, 10:48:31 PM
It's more than unfortunate that Tyrone have got the brunt of Joe's rant. Their name is tarnished because a lot of people will just go with Joe on this, forgetting all the superb things Tyrone have brought to Gaelic Football in the last ten years. That's the damaging part of Joe's rant and that's essentially why it was misplaced and wrong, so please don't lose that or underplay it when you agree with the sentiment of Joe's message. It's no wonder Tyrone people are standing up for their county, you would do the same. We get accused lazily of being blinkered but for heaven's sake, we have won 3 Sams in ten years and contributed enormously to the modern game.

Err, it's not like Joe was the first to finger Tyrone as perhaps the key player in developing systematic cynical play.

They will still be remembered as a great team regardless, this is just a passing storm.

Tony Baloney

I think the problem is that a lot of that contribution is perceived negatively (blanket defence, sledging, diving, cynical fouling etc.).

Wildweasel74

watching it 2nd time round, i think he has more than a point about this type of fouling, in his eyes the idols of the GAA are doing this leading to underage players who look up to their heroes adopting the same negative attitude at u-16 games to win games

laoislad

Lol    ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ck

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 10:04:14 PM
There was a lot wrong with what Brolly said but the worst part for me was where he said (and I paraphrase):

"I coach an u12 team and if one of my team did that, he would never get a jersey again."

So, an 11 year old makes a 'mistake' on a football field and he's never allowed to play again.

Well done, Joe. I'll not be sending my kids anywhere near you.

Oh wise up. His point was that he doesn't encourage kids to undertake that kind of tackle. Simple as that.

yellowcard

I actually think this will mobilise Tyrone and create a sort of siege mentality. Watching it again its hilarious how much anger was flowing out of Brollys mouth.

Anybody who is capable of thinking for themselves doesnt need Brolly et al to forge their impressions of teams.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation link=topic=23552.msg1261139#msg1261139 date=1375653060
Quote from: The Stallion on August 04, 2013, 10:47:57 PM
I Completely agree with what Brolly said. The best pundit on TV in any sport.
His outburst was passionate, accurate and made for brilliant viewing. The sooner we see an end to the cynical cheating as displayed by Cavanagh the better for GAA.
What do you make of him suggesting that he would not let a kid play a game again if he did what Cavanagh did?

Underage coach of the year is Brolly.
I was chatting to a fella today who wouldn't be a fan of Tyrone and he took Brolly's comments even further in regards to the negativity being introduced into the juvenile game. He thought that if these deliberately negative tactics crept into underage tactics it would absolutely fly in the face of the legacy Campa Chormaic and The Michaela Foundation are trying to create.

A bit of an overreaction imo. As someone said I think this is another phase that will pass.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

I like Joe Brolly for the most part but what he said on TV last night was unbelievable and just plain wrong. A few random thoughts on it:

1) he really seems to dislike Sean Cavanagh for some reason. Couldn't given him credit against Meath and when his theory about "man-marking" Cavanagh" was blown asunder yesterday it seemed to annoy him;

2) he went for Monaghan to win unlike his co-pundits (who he obviously doesn't rate). Tyrone won and "they" were right - this seemed to annoy him;

3) the whole argument about "cynical fouling" is a joke. I have experienced, witnessed and committed fouls of this type since I first played underage football. To suggest Sean Cavanagh's foul was out of the ordinary was ridiculous in the extreme. A yellow card was the correct censure. If someone on my team DIDN'T do what Cavanagh did I'd eat the head off him;

4) the elephant in the room as always is refereeing. Why does no-one on TV say this? If refs applied the rules properly we'd have a much better game. The standard of refereeing is a complete joke.

5) I thought it was an excellent game. Not free-flowing but intense and lots of skills on display. Thought Tyrone's coolness in possession and use of the space in Croker was first class. Monaghan were a little unlucky but a bit naive. Allowing Tyrone to get possession from short kickouts backfired - they needed to at least mix it up at times.

magpie seanie

To bring an example from another sport into it, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (not a remotely cynical or dirty player) famously ran back most of the length of the pitch one day when Newcastle broke away and looked like scoring to clinch a game. He cleaned the attacker out and got the red card. Got a standing ovation from the crowd as he went to the dressing room.

This whole argument is so ridiculous.

I just hope it doesn't impact Tyrone's chances. Referees have biases and preconceptions too.

Sidney

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 04, 2013, 11:12:20 PM
To bring an example from another sport into it, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (not a remotely cynical or dirty player) famously ran back most of the length of the pitch one day when Newcastle broke away and looked like scoring to clinch a game. He cleaned the attacker out and got the red card. Got a standing ovation from the crowd as he went to the dressing room.

This whole argument is so ridiculous.

I just hope it doesn't impact Tyrone's chances. Referees have biases and preconceptions too.
Why would you quote an example from soccer where a player gets a red card when you only advocate a yellow for something similar in Gaelic football, unless you believe that Solskjaer shouldn't have got a red card in that incident, which I remember well?

You can't honestly believe that Solskjaer didn't deserve a red for that?

Sidney

Quote from: EC Unique on August 04, 2013, 11:27:23 PM

Really? All managers advocate the type of systematic fouling policy that Tyrone have engaged in this year?

Was it on show in the Dublin-Cork game?

EC Unique

Quote from: Sidney on August 04, 2013, 11:33:14 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on August 04, 2013, 11:27:23 PM

Really? All managers advocate the type of systematic fouling policy that Tyrone have engaged in this year?

Was it on show in the Dublin-Cork game?

I have yet to hear any player or manager say that they would not have done the same or have expected their player to do the same.

Wildweasel74

Comparing gaelic footballers to the diving, mercenary, cheating unsporting game that is soccer played by a bunch of grown men that need to feel loved to play for their club,Idols like Rooney, Suarez, Tevez, Ronaldo, is this that the way you want gaelic to go. the only man worth his salt in soccer is messi (with a dodgy dad)