Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 03:35:56 PM
I'm not really drawing a line between the two but if there was a club named 'Mullingar Hitlers' I think he'd consider it everyones business.
Surprised he said that to be honest.

You're suprised he said something that gives him time in the media spotlight? Really?
That was never a square ball!!

AQMP

I think I've asked this before but apart from Kevin Lynch's in Dungiven are there any other clubs named after IRA/INLA personnel who died say from 1968-1998??

In terms of grounds I know we have Louis Leonard Memorial Park in Donagh, Co Fermanagh and St Teresa's in Belfast play at McDonnell Doherty Park and I suppose there may be a few others??

Is this such a huge issue or is it a stick used to beat the GAA by people who have no interest in the GAA other than finding an excuse not to engage with it??

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AQMP on October 18, 2013, 04:07:47 PM
I think I've asked this before but apart from Kevin Lynch's in Dungiven are there any other clubs named after IRA/INLA personnel who died say from 1968-1998??

In terms of grounds I know we have Louis Leonard Memorial Park in Donagh, Co Fermanagh and St Teresa's in Belfast play at McDonnell Doherty Park and I suppose there may be a few others??

Is this such a huge issue or is it a stick used to beat the GAA by people who have no interest in the GAA other than finding an excuse not to engage with it??

i think that would be accurate
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stibhan

I think it's appropriate to mention that it is in relation to a comment made by Jim Allister.

'Mullingar Hitler's': what a nuanced contribution to the debate. I think with Kevin Lynch's in particular, the fact that he was a member of the club and a talented hurler might have had something to do with it.

That said out of thousands of GAA clubs, the 'controversially named' ones wouldn't even breach single figures.

sheamy

As Michael Collins' chief intelligence officer in London, it's time to remove this blight on the good name of the GAA that is Sam Maguire.

This whole conversation is ridiculous and is brought about by GAA people thinking they are, or should be, politicians.

Run the games and stay out of it.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 03:35:56 PM
I'm not really drawing a line between the two but if there was a club named 'Mullingar Hitlers' I think he'd consider it everyones business.
Surprised he said that to be honest.

Kevin Lynch & Hitler are parallels now?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Jinxy

Well, yeah.
If you want to ignore the first half of the sentence.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 04:57:42 PM
Well, yeah.

No point saying you're not making a parallel before immediately making a parallel.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: AQMP on October 18, 2013, 04:07:47 PM

On the one hand there are members of the Gaa who aren't fans of IRA/INLA personnel, while on the other it feels that some Unionists are looking for something to complain about, that otherwise they show no interest in, so that their unreasonable theatrics with demonstrations and flegs etc doesn't look too bad.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 18, 2013, 05:09:42 PM
Well, yeah.

No point saying you're not making a parallel before immediately making a parallel.

In principle, either you can name a club after whoever you want or you can't.
If there is a line, where do you draw it?

stibhan

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 07:39:35 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 18, 2013, 05:09:42 PM
Well, yeah.

In principle, either you can name a club after whoever you want or you can't.
If there is a line, where do you draw it?

I would suggest in this case naming a GAA Club after a member of your own club isn't where the line can be drawn.

It's a ridiculous thing to say about Hitler and makes no sense in the context of this debate.

glens abu

Good man Joe,we should always remember our dead,and if they happen to be associated with a club then it's up to the members if they want to name club,pitch or a tournament after them.

Jinxy

What if Hitler was from Mullingar?

glens abu

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
[/quot

If there was a man called Hitler who came from Mullingar,had played with distinction for his local GAA club,took up arms (rightly or wrongly) against an army that was occupying his country,was captured put in a prison where he was brutalised,fought against that regime by dying on Hunger strike,they should put a statue up to him in Hitler Park.

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

I wouldn't be at all surprised.