Dublin v Kerry

Started by Northside Dub, April 04, 2007, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northside Dub

With both teams fighting to stay in Division 1 next year (Tyrone will beat Mayo in Omagh) it should be an interesting game what do dubs think of Pillars team selection?? I personally dont think this will be the team that will start!

From Hill16.ie

All-Star forward Alan Brogan once again misses out as he recovers from a back injury as Dublin name the same starting 15 as began against Mayo for their clash with Kerry in Parnell Park on Sunday (3.30).

DUBLIN (SF v Kerry) - S Cluxton; D Henry, R McConnell, P Griffin; B Cahill, B Cullen, G Brennan; C Whelan, D Magee; C Moran, J Sherlock, C Keaney; B Brogan, K Bonner, T Quinn.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

dubnut

Swap Ryan for Whelan (not fit) and Connolly for Quinn and I would be happy

Northside Dub

Id like to see Dotsy get a run, i feel he's been hard done by again! Wouldnt be surprised if he opted to play for the hurlers and forget about the footballers!!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

downredblack

dubnut

tayto

Quote from: Northside Dub on April 04, 2007, 12:04:30 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if he opted to play for the hurlers and forget about the footballers!!

Hopefully! We could do with someone of class as an option in the forward line  ;D

SuperDooperCooper

Kerry manager Pat O'Shea has made three changes to his side for the trip to play Dublin at Parnell Park on Sunday in the final round of the Allianz National Football League Division 1A.

O'Shea, who also managed All-Ireland Club SFC runners up Dr Crokes, has opted to bring in Crokes' Eoin Brosnan at centre forward in place of Eamonn Fitzmaurice, who drops to the bench.

Darren O'Sullivan gets the nod in the right wing-forward berth at the expense of Donncha Walsh, while the only other change in personnel sees Crokes' Kieran O'Leary start at left corner forward with Mike Frank Russell losing out.

O'Shea has also make a number of positional switches from the team that took to the field in the drawn game with Tyrone last Saturday night.

Daniel Bohane moves from left half-back to centre back in a direct swap with Aidan O'Mahony. Captain Bryan Sheehan has been relocated from the right wing to the left to accomodate Brosnan and O'Sullivan's introduction along the 45.

Kerry: D Murphy; M O Se, T O'Sullivan, P Reidy; T O Se, D Bohane, A O'Mahony; D O Se, T Griffin; Darren O'Sullivan, E Brosnan, B Sheehan; D Quill, S Scanlon, K O'Leary.

DUBSFORSAM1

Is the game a sell out yet?

DUBSFORSAM1

A reasonable game of football today which was marred by some shocking shooting by both sides....same olf problem for dublin of inconsistency up front - some great scores and movement followed by pure rubbish.....

McConnel did well enough at full back on Gooch I thought - while Gooch won the ball he kept him out hte field (think Henry was on Gooch for the goal but might be mistake)...
Brennan did reasonable as did B Brogan....
Vaughan I think was kept on to give him 70 mins - a couple of good frees but some really poor misses...

Dublin forwards need to do non stop shooting practice under pressure so that they can do it in a match - and also to learn where they aren't capable fo scoring from so they don't shoot from there all the time...

INDIANA

" reasonable game of football today which was marred by some shocking shooting by both sides....same olf problem for dublin of inconsistency up front - some great scores and movement followed by pure rubbish.....

McConnel did well enough at full back on Gooch I thought - while Gooch won the ball he kept him out hte field (think Henry was on Gooch for the goal but might be mistake)...
Brennan did reasonable as did B Brogan....
Vaughan I think was kept on to give him 70 mins - a couple of good frees but some really poor misses...

Dublin forwards need to do non stop shooting practice under pressure so that they can do it in a match - and also to learn where they aren't capable fo scoring from so they don't shoot from there all the time... "

I didn't know you got  a new job as the Dublin Football team's PRO. Seriously if you don't work in public relations you've missed your vocation. That was the worst performance i have personally witnessed from any Dublin team at any grade-at any level at any code.. I'm not into kneejerk reactions but i'm not sure if dublin had tried to play any worse that they possibly could.
Playing a semi-interested Kerry team who were kind enough to rest their first choice midfield- we still couldn't win. With a strong wind in the second hallf we scored one point from play in the 70th min (bit of a trend there). Shot selection was very poor and to be honest i didn't see much of  a gameplan in evidence.
I would put any money you like that we wouldn't beat that kerry team in championship on any day. Declan Quill would be  a national superstar if we wore blue- he may not start for kerry in the championship (i don't know why he wouldn't) - what a luxury! Mc Connell isn't  a full back he just isn't comfortable there and why would he be he's a midfielder. I don't think Whelan will start this year - i think he's way off the pace. I don't think Vaughan offers anything more than Quinn - i wouldn't even debate vaughan ever starting ahead of quinn. Caffrey does his best to destroy Brennan's confidence by taking him off every week - cahill should have come off today. Dotsy must have done something terrible- seems to have been cut altogether.
Haven't been overly impressed with b brogan  to be honest- it'll be the same 15 as last year i'd say. can't understand our ambivalence towards the league-i think our league position truely reflects our standing- we think we're better than we are- why i don't know.

Gnevin

This rotating the forward is not working and is annoying me now, its not f**king working pillar give it up

Quinn ,Bonner, Jayo are full forwards
Brogan, Keaney are half forwards and play crap when out of position

Also this play the long ball all the time even when their is a simple option on is stupid . The Kerry forwards took the best options 9/10 times , we had so many wide's because 60% of their wide's where from terrible places that had very little chance of going over
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - I never claimed it was our best performance or anything.....it was reasonable - better than the Donegal match etc.....
Yes Kerry rested O'Se/Griffen but then put on Gooch/MFR instead so they also wanted to win....

Shot selection was poor - that is why I advocate continious drills so that players know whether they can score from particular parts of the field etc and if not they shouldn't shoot.......there were still so many easy shots missed - Keaney with a couple of easy frees and a few dropped into the keeper...Brogan with a couple of bad wides..Vaughan with some really bad misses close to goal....that doesn't even include the difficult shots they tried....

Would I pick Vaughan ahead of Quinn - No but he needs to get 70 mins into himself....he kicked a good free and a 45...if picked he should be in full forward and told to stay close to the goals
Whelan - again I think coming back from injury he was picked to get gametime.....interesting an article by Barney Rock if I remember correctly said that the idea of trying Whelan at full forward with someone like Brogan/Sherlock beside him in a 2 man full forward line could be a good idea...

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: INDIANA on April 08, 2007, 07:55:25 PM
Declan Quill would be  a national superstar if we wore blue

Would you boys think this could be part of the problem? Players whose chief attribute is that they play for Dublin are turned into stars by relentless media hype when they aren't really that good? There were a lot of fellas looking down on the city from lucozade posters last year who were by no means superstars. Not only were they not the best nationally, they weren't even the best on their own team. And then real Dublin stars, like Sherlock and Shane Ryan and Alan Brogan, who turn it on year after year, get ignored. I don't get it. Never have. ???

thebuzz

"Whelan - again I think coming back from injury he was picked to get gametime.....interesting an article by Barney Rock if I remember correctly said that the idea of trying Whelan at full forward with someone like Brogan/Sherlock beside him in a 2 man full forward line could be a good idea..."

I think it would be a great idea. He could be Dublin's answer to Ciaran Donaghy. I remember Anthony Tohill playing at full forward a couple of times for Derry after he was past his best at midfield and I think, but for his (premature) retirement, he could have had a couple of successful seasons there. Whelan is a great fielder and he can take a score so there is no reason that he shouldn't be successful there also.

Jack Dempsey

Kerry missing 5 of last years All-Ireland final winning team. Also 2 midfielders, centre back & Full back and still manage to beat dublin in dublin. Oh Dear... Is C Whelan finished, what age is he now ?