Longest Distance to Travel for a Club Game

Started by DownFanatic, July 31, 2013, 12:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

The NACB territory is considered a "county" for GAA purposes. I'd say the flight from San Francisco to Boston would take some beating at 2704 miles

armaghniac

Sure Jamie Clarke has to go 10,000km to a club game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Frank Casey

Urhan GAA Club is about 10km west of Castletownbere - some of you might remember Ciaran O'Sullivan who played with the Langers in the 1990's. Its based around Eyeries. This part of Cork (Beara) is in the diocese of Kerry so residents are a bit bi-polar ;)

Both Urhan and Goleen are a long haul - 2 hours - to Cork City not to mind onto the county boundary a mile or two north east of Mitchelstown.

There was a TD for many years from Main Street, Goleen, Paddy Sheehan, who would say, when demonstrating how isolated the Mizen is as well as the size of the county, that on setting off for the Dail he would stop half way for tae, without having left the county.
KERRY 3:7

theticklemister

Quote from: rosnarun on July 31, 2013, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on July 31, 2013, 02:00:37 PM
Quote from: StephenC on July 31, 2013, 01:15:38 PM
Say ... Malin v Kilcar 300km (188 mile) round trip. You'd do well to do it in 2 and a half hours each way.

Malin to Glencolmcille a wee bit longer. Over 100 miles each way
HARD TO BEAT THAT ONE
104.3 miles
Time: 3 hr 16 min

though this is further even if the AA recommend less time
GOLEEN CHARLEVILLE Distance: 112.9 miles (show in km)
Time: 3 hr 8 min
Hitting Glencolmcille on Friday, but I won't be bringing my football boots; a few tins instead!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy link=to :P537.msg1259017#msg1259017 date=1375290203
However, I will leave it to someone from Cork to give the final verdict taking into account actual pitch locations, bad roads etc as, unlike some Nordies on here, I wouldnt like to preach to someone about their own county.

"Preaching"?! Qui, moi? Mais non, just keeping you on your toes/hooves! :P :)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2013, 07:46:56 PM
However, I will leave it to someone from Cork to give the final verdict taking into account actual pitch locations, bad roads etc as, unlike some Nordies on here, I wouldnt like to preach to someone about their own county.

Don't be calling poor Mikey a donkey.

Aaron Boone

No wonder Conor Counihan struggles to find his best team.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2013, 07:49:33 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

Don't be calling poor Mikey a donkey.

oh look, its the dumb and dumber tag team

ranch

Cullaville to Maghery is probably the furthest in Armagh. About 39 miles and 1 hour 8 minutes according to google. I thought it would be longer time wise to be honest.

shark

Would suspect longest in Westmeath to be St.Paul's, Clonmellon to Athlone GAA (by about 1km over Garrycastle).  89km according to Google.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 31, 2013, 07:11:22 PM
Urhan GAA Club is about 10km west of Castletownbere - some of you might remember Ciaran O'Sullivan who played with the Langers in the 1990's. Its based around Eyeries. This part of Cork (Beara) is in the diocese of Kerry so residents are a bit bi-polar ;)

Both Urhan and Goleen are a long haul - 2 hours - to Cork City not to mind onto the county boundary a mile or two north east of Mitchelstown.

There was a TD for many years from Main Street, Goleen, Paddy Sheehan, who would say, when demonstrating how isolated the Mizen is as well as the size of the county, that on setting off for the Dail he would stop half way for tae, without having left the county.

Urhan GAA grounds are in Eyeries though aren't they which makes them a tad closer to Mitchelstown than Castletownbere by my reckoning.

Good story about yer man Sheehan though..its true Mitchelstown in roughly half way from Beara to Dublin and still in Cork!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Any craic

I travelled 4 and a half hours last week from Dallas to Houston for the Texas club finals!

ludermor

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 01, 2013, 12:12:17 AM
Quote from: Frank Casey on July 31, 2013, 07:11:22 PM

Urhan GAA grounds are in Eyeries though aren't they which makes them a tad closer to Mitchelstown than Castletownbere by my reckoning.

Good story about yer man Sheehan though..its true Mitchelstown in roughly half way from Beara to Dublin and still in Cork!
ballaghaderreen is roughly half way from blacksod to dublin and still in mayo ....

Onlooker

Longest distance in Tipperary would be Carrick-on-Suir to Lorrha - 89 miles (143 kilometres)

magpie seanie

Longest in Sligo has to be St Molaise Gaels to/from Castleconnor. Almost 70 miles which is surprising in a small enough county like Sligo.