is Horan a dose?

Started by Orchardman, July 30, 2013, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ross matt on July 30, 2013, 09:58:23 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 30, 2013, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: Carbery on July 30, 2013, 09:05:20 PM
Excert from today's Irish Examiner
When asked what kind of relationship he had with the Donegal manager and his backroom team and would there be any banter between them Horan responded: "I wouldn't think so, no. Although maybe we've more banter with other teams, that might be a better way to say it. Look it, Jim McGuinness and Rory Gallagher on the sideline, they do their thing. When I'm on the sideline, I just focus on. What can I do to help the team that's on the field. That's all I do. I try and stay as composed as I can."

It was suggested the body language between the managers was cold and Horan said: "Maybe show me a team that has good body language towards Mr McGuinness on the sideline! Maybe that's a better question!"

Not the sort of stuff anyone is going to pin to a dressing room door is it? Dull as ditchwater ;D ;D ;D
No. It's not. Intelligent, focussed & low key. Well done Horan.

He's trying to manage expectations but it's not low key nor could it ever be. Plenty of swagger in Jamesy's demeanour the last two years.

Rossfan

Woudn't we be the happy campers if the worst thing that could be said about our managers over the years was that he always wears a hat... ::)
Some people need to get out more  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2013, 10:05:45 PM
Woudn't we be the happy campers if the worst thing that could be said about our managers over the years was that he always wears a hat... ::)
Some people need to get out more  ;D

+1000

ross matt

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
When asked what kind of relationship he had with the Donegal manager and his backroom team and would there be any banter between them Horan responded: "I wouldn't think so, no. Although maybe we've more banter with other teams, that might be a better way to say it. Look it, Jim McGuinness and Rory Gallagher on the sideline, they do their thing. When I'm on the sideline, I just focus on. What can I do to help the team that's on the field. That's all I do. I try and stay as composed as I can."

It was suggested the body language between the managers was cold and Horan said: "Maybe show me a team that has good body language towards Mr McGuinness on the sideline! Maybe that's a better question!"

Not the sort of stuff anyone is going to pin to a dressing room door is it? Dull as ditchwater ;D ;D ;D

He's trying to manage expectations but it's not low key nor could it ever be. Plenty of swagger in Jamesy's demeanour the last two years.

How do you mean "nor could it ever be?" What's that about? Where's the evidence of his "plenty of swagger" ?

Horan doesn't patronise the sides he beats with patronising praise (listen to his post Galway/Ross match interviews) but he doesn't gloat after victories either. His players don't showboat. He was the same as a player. Back your statements with evidence/examples...

StephenC

62% of Mayo people count James Horans when they are trying to get to sleep.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: StephenC on July 30, 2013, 10:19:15 PM
62% of Mayo people count James Horans when they are trying to get to sleep.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D + 1000
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Syferus

Quote from: ross matt on July 30, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2013, 10:04:41 PM

How do you mean "nor could it ever be?" What's that about? Where's the evidence of his "plenty of swagger" ?

Horan doesn't patronise the sides he beats with patronising praise (listen to his post Galway/Ross match interviews) but he doesn't gloat after victories either. His players don't showboat. He was the same as a player. Back your statements with evidence/examples...

AI-contending teams don't get away with 'managing' expectations no matter how hard they try. It's a fools' errand because the casual supporters who fuel hype aren't really reading what a manager says on a Sunday or Tuesday night before a game anyways. It really only has the minuscule effect of helping players stay grounded but, then, that work is done behind closed doors and not in media interviews.

Horan rightly has a swagger in his dealings - pretending it was a possibility he'd step down after the AI final last year to knock more money for training the team out of the county board, all sorts of stories of him simply handing the board a list of demands and not sticking around for questions - Horan has consciously developed a cult of personality simliar to what McGuinness has done in Donegal and what Brian Cody has done in Kilkenny.

That confidence sometimes leaks out in interviews - even saying that Donegal 'will take any advantage they can get' is a very carefully lobbed bomb in the other direction after McGuinness' statement in Carrick and the altercation on the sideline.

Horan plays the media just as carefully as anyone and in no way should anyone buy into this idea that he's just a straight-forward guy. He plays them like a tin whistle when it suits. And that is no knock against him, I'd kill if we had a home-grown manager of the same calibre cultivating a personality and an attitude around himself and his team.

lynchbhoy

while I dont completely agree with mcguinness about Donegal players being targetted (think that wee dirty fecker gallogly* just spotted his chance and took out mchugh) but james horan took up the bolloxology a few notches when he accused Donegal of being dirty themselves - no need for that from horan, and he went way down in my estimation for indulging in that bullsiht.

*normally I just dislike gallogly's terrible diving displays during games - outright dirt is a new one for him.

blast05

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2013, 10:47:02 PM
while I dont completely agree with mcguinness about Donegal players being targetted (think that wee dirty fecker gallogly* just spotted his chance and took out mchugh) but james horan took up the bolloxology a few notches when he accused Donegal of being dirty themselves - no need for that from horan, and he went way down in my estimation for indulging in that bullsiht.

*normally I just dislike gallogly's terrible diving displays during games - outright dirt is a new one for him.

Can you point out where James H accused Donegal of being 'dirty'

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blast05 on July 30, 2013, 11:00:28 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2013, 10:47:02 PM

thats what was implied - certainly how I read it.

obv horan wont give a fiddlers what I think though.

still he shouldnt have shot his mouth off, mcguinness wasnt talking about mayo - so there was no need for horan to say anything.
Can you point out where James H accused Donegal of being 'dirty'

blast05

This is his quote:

QuoteDonegal have been the leaders in that. They've brought physicality in GAA to a new level – and fair play to them

He was clearly asked about physicality in the game and gave a reasoned answer. Could you imagine if he said 'i don't want to address that question' ?!
He stated a clear truth in his answer about bringing it to a new level (it would be disingenuous of anyone to suggest otherwise) and then complimented them for doing that.

How can this be interpreted as shooting his mouth off and implying that Donegal are a dirty team ?

BluestackBoy

Quote from: blast05 on July 30, 2013, 11:24:13 PM
This is his quote:

QuoteDonegal have been the leaders in that. They've brought physicality in GAA to a new level – and fair play to them

He was clearly asked about physicality in the game and gave a reasoned answer. Could you imagine if he said 'i don't want to address that question' ?!
He stated a clear truth in his answer about bringing it to a new level (it would be disingenuous of anyone to suggest otherwise) and then complimented them for doing that.

How can this be interpreted as shooting his mouth off and implying that Donegal are a dirty team ?
This is GAA.ie & the most innocent of things can be twisted & interpeted in all sorts of ways by scheming neer do wells. If the only info I had on McGuinness was some of the posts on here I would be amazed that there wasn't a manhunt on at this very moment & that his face wasn't all over Crimewatch.
What is sauce for the goose.......

Orchardman

Quote from: ross matt on July 30, 2013, 10:00:44 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on July 30, 2013, 12:32:54 PM
Looking at him in interviews and listening to him lately, the guy seems such a bore. Does he always wear a hat? I have a good mate in his thirties and never seen him without his baseball hat apart from his wedding day.

Since there is a jimmy thread with a lot of jimmy bashing going on, i thought jamsie deserves his own this week in the build up to the big game. Now jimmy has many faults no doubt, and done things i don't agree with, but at least he in an interesting character from his long lasting student life to maturity as all ireland winning manager. Jimmy sounds like the players would go through a brick wall for him, maybe horan has great motivational skills as well? Horan's idea of psychology including referring to the all ireland final last year in the build up as 'GAME 5', the semi was GAME 4, what a farce!

Even though I was convinced donegal would beat mayo well last year in the final, I would give Mayo a strong chance on sunday as I think their preparations have been better lately. They should be fresher, though maybe the tough recent battles will stand to donegal better, we wont know til sunday.

Jaysus you dug deep to try and find some shite to throw at Horan in this thread. Pretty much back fired and he's came out looking even better as a result. Nice one. Well done.

I didn't have to dig anywhere, if your talking about the GAME 5 nonsense. It stuck in my head as a journo mentioned it in a piece before the final, how this was one of the techniques they had been using to play it focused and pretend it is just another game. It's s NOT another game, its an ALL IRELAND FINAL!

What do you mean it backfired and he came out looking better? did he get a new hat?:)

In all seriousness, I think he's a grand lad, doesn't cause any harm really, and he's done a very good job with mayo. And may very well win the sam this year

BluestackBoy

There isn't a thing wrong with Horan. He is a fine young manager trying to cope with a job, young family & managing a football team to All Ireland glory. The same applies to Jim Gavin, Eamon Fitzmaurice, & yes Jim McGuinness.
Do they make mistakes? Of course they do. Do they let the excitement get to them? They wouldn't be human if they didn't, but I will say this.
They all bring far more credit to the GAA than some of the keyboard warriors who can do nothing but abuse them & take their characters.
It's all very well to have some fun, banter & slagging, no one enjoys it more than myself, but there is an edge with some people which spills it over into hatefuness & says a lot more about the person making the comment than the person being commented on.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

"dose" never hear the word until I was surrounded by the O-awk-awe brigade over here in Liverpool. Stop talking 6 county, next thing you will be complaining about the Siiitchhhh-uuuuu-accchunnnnnnnn.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.