Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

I was not going to post on this as I thought both Tyrone men were guilty. However Penrose did not punch anyone as you can see his black glove resting on the guys shoulder as he pushes him. Gormley also clearly pushes the mans own arm back and his own red glove hits him in the face.

This could be settled in a closed room.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

babarino

Whishtup

Quote from: Sandino on August 07, 2013, 03:20:24 PM
I was not going to post on this as I thought both Tyrone men were guilty. However Penrose did not punch anyone as you can see his black glove resting on the guys shoulder as he pushes him. Gormley also clearly pushes the mans own arm back and his own red glove hits him in the face.

This could be settled in a closed room.

Although neither were technically sendings off, you felt that a red card was merited for foolishness.  Wasn't a dirty game and the shemozzle seemed out of place at the time.  Penrose should never have went looking for more.  Dessie Mone has been the Lazarus of the championship to date.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2013, 01:43:15 PM
I watched it again Main Street. What happened is Gormely shoved Mone's arms away, and his hand flew back into his own face. And I was sure that Gormley had punched him.

For the second one, it is harder to see, and certainly Penrose came around from the back, and punched/pushed at Mone but it certainly looked like his shoulder on TV. However, he may have hit him in the face as well, hard to see. Penrose was daft to do it.

In hindsight though, given the way Mone reacted to Penrose's strike, I'd be amazed if he didn't do at least the same thing when Gormley was involved if he felt Gormley punched him.

AZ - there's two incidents

There's the Penrose one

And there's the Gormley one

Both attempted strikes (at the minimum), both red card offences as per rule 5.1. Sin é.

Wee Roddy

Here we go again......are you blind, or just blinded by ignorance

nrico2006

What is the difference between a strike and a push?  Is a strike simply the use of ones body to assault another?  We should be looking at more red cards for all the pushing and shoving you see every game if thats the case?  What about the subs who come on and bulldoze into an unsuspecting mans back with their shoulder - should that be a red card?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sensethetone

tommy freeman shouldn't have finished that game was more bothered with getting involved with tyrone defenders. dick clerkin could have won that match  but took the shot selection or he's just not as great as he thinks he is and he went down handy enough for his free. dessie mone holding his face after getting shoved on the chest is just like jordan in 2003 but will anybody be talking about that incident in 10 years time. maybe monaghan should have stuck with blooding new players thats what worked againist donegal in the ulster final.

CD

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 09, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
I watched it again Main Street. What happened is Gormely shoved Mone's arms away, and his hand flew back into his own face. And I was sure that Gormley had punched him.

For the second one, it is harder to see, and certainly Penrose came around from the back, and punched/pushed at Mone but it certainly looked like his shoulder on TV. However, he may have hit him in the face as well, hard to see. Penrose was daft to do it.

In hindsight though, given the way Mone reacted to Penrose's strike, I'd be amazed if he didn't do at least the same thing when Gormley was involved if he felt Gormley punched him.

There's the Penrose one

Both attempted strikes (at the minimum), both red card offences as per rule 5.1. Sin é.

My big brothers used to do this to me - 'Stop punching yourself Dessie.' Could Dessie have been sent off for attempting to punch himself?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

lenny

Quote from: CD on August 09, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

There's the Penrose one

My big brothers used to do this to me - 'Stop punching yourself Dessie.' Could Dessie have been sent off for attempting to punch himself?

Gormley deserved a red also. He may have started pushing mones hand but if you watch carefully he ends with a a closed fist which either catches Mone or very nearly does. Either way its a strike or an attempted strike and thats a red card. This should be dealt with retrospectively of course but won't because as usual Micky Harte and other Tyrone men like Canavan have craftily used the media to ensure tyrone have come out of this looking like victims. Harte has done this before a number of times sticking up for players like mcmenamin no matter what he did. (although he mightn't stick up for the same boy now given that he is working for RTE - heard micky isn't too happy with that)

cadhlancian

Syferus

Both were red card offences. Sorry lads.

Lar Naparka

Jazeses, Az, going by the animated pics above, I've come to the conclusion that at least one of us needs to head for the nearest SpecSavers ASAP. ;D
Maybe the pair of us but we can't both be right.
Mone hitting his face with his glove had no bearing on the decision by the ref to give his assailant a red card.
It was the punch immediately beforehand that did the business. This was done in full view of the ref and his officials.
There can be no argument about Gormley's red card either. He used his fist-clear as day.
Again, the ref had a clear view of what happened.
What puzzles me is that both Penrose and Gormley are very experienced players- it's not as if they were young hotheads out to make a name for themselves.
To attempt to make deliberate physical contact of any sort with the ref and his officials in close attendance was pure daft.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Wildweasel74

even with people looking at the evidence they cant see its a red card, talk about having blinkers on when looking at u own team!!

Line Ball

Quote from: lenny on August 09, 2013, 06:14:16 PM
Quote from: CD on August 09, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

There's the Penrose one

Gormley deserved a red also. He may have started pushing mones hand but if you watch carefully he ends with a a closed fist which either catches Mone or very nearly does. Either way its a strike or an attempted strike and thats a red card. This should be dealt with retrospectively of course but won't because as usual Micky Harte and other Tyrone men like Canavan have craftily used the media to ensure tyrone have come out of this looking like victims. Harte has done this before a number of times sticking up for players like mcmenamin no matter what he did. (although he mightn't stick up for the same boy now given that he is working for RTE - heard micky isn't too happy with that)

Barry Cassidy had a great view of both incidents.  Both should have been red but only Penrose was sent off.  I believe Gormley thinks he can get away with 'certain things' as he always plays on the edge, or beyond it in sometimes!

babarino

Gifs show clearly two Tyrone players should have been sent off. You'd have to be seriously deluded to argue otherwise. The ref and officials bottled it. Earlier a ridiculous yellow card for Darren Hughes - Cavanagh pulled him down after good tackle. And in all the furore about the Cavanagh tackle hardly a mention of Brolly's 'he (Mone) probably deserved it' line. No mother from Monaghan, so we're not expecting an apology.  If he didn't get the sack from RTE after the crap he spewed after the Derry - Monaghan in Celtic Park a few years ago, he'll never get it.

Take a look at the other gif on Balls.ie. First Tyrone tackler swings the boot and misses, Cavanagh was on his game and hauled McManus down, while No. 8 (Colm Cavanagh) looks to be preparing for lift off.

Hopefully a footballing team is allowed to win the All Ireland.