Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ross matt on August 05, 2013, 08:15:13 PM
Congratulations Mayo. Devastating and ruthless performance. I expected them to win by a few points so obviously never expected anything like what happened yesterday.

Donegal were a shambles and to be fair to them are carrying injuries to their top men which they dont have the bench to cover. But as McGuinness himself said yesterday that still doesnt take from an awesome Mayo performance.

I'm biased towards Mayo as they're a Connacht side + I particularly admire their manager and this bunch of players. They've progressed further each season, they work hard, they keep focussed and they play a very attractive brand of football. Mayo have shown an incredibly high level of consistency since 1996 and deserve to win Sam.

I think alot of other neutrals were happy to see them win in order to shove it down McGuinness's throat. I really dont know how himself of Gallagher expected their pre match comments to have a positive effect on their own team's performance or a negative one on their opponent's. For an expert in matters of the mind Jim made himself look very insecure and after his team' s performance.... foolish. McGee didnt do himself, his team mates, his manager or the sport in general any favours with his stamp. To be fair to the Donegal manager he was sporting in his post match comments but again alluded to his side being targeted. Yesterday was not only a victory for Mayo but a vindication of James Horan's class and integrity.

Where to now for the westerners? Tyrone are lurking in the long grass of course. Mickey Harte is a legendary strategist and my guess is that his main focus will be on using any means possible to stop Mayo getting a good start. In all their matches this year they had the game won by half time? Harte will be hoping to stay in touch in the first half in order to sow doubt in to Horan's player's minds.

Roscommon were unlucky not to beat Tyrone. Donegal beat them. Both sides were hammered by Mayo. However it's not as simple as that as the longer Tyrone remain in the championship the better they adapt to what's required to eek out narrow victories as evidenced by their 2pt winning margins this season.  I think this match will be a dog fight. I think Tyrone will cynically slow it down as much as possible but in a way this might be exactly what Mayo need if they are to progress to an AI final and win it when they get there this time. They need to play a match where they still have to win the game in the 2nd half. They need to win ugly.  Tyrone will provide them with the opportunity to do just that.

Longterm it's fair to say the Connacht men lack genuine finishers up front. But they compensate for that with having a spread of players from Higgins when he plays corner back to Andy Moran at corner forward who all are comfortable on the ball and can chip in a few scores each. Aidan O'Se in terms of pure primary possession and drive + Cillian O'Connor in terms of vision and finishing are vital to their cause. But at centre back and full they also have game changers. Thats before you mention Dillon's work rate and Freeman's ball winning abilities. I dont think Andy has the pace back in his legs yet to win ball out in front of his man. It's a pity Conroy isn't back.

I think it will be a Dublin V Mayo final. That will be a fascinating match up. Mayo's overall collective work ethic v Dublin's panache up front. But before that Tyrone will relish their opportunity to upset the apple cart. However I think this Mayo manager and his current panel are too focussed and grounded to fall for that trap. Well done again Mayo. Delighted for all the Mayo lads on this forum. Ye did the province proud. Drive on!

Good Post.

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 05, 2013, 09:41:56 PM
Quote from: ross matt on August 05, 2013, 08:15:13 PM
Congratulations Mayo. Devastating and ruthless performance. I expected them to win by a few points so obviously never expected anything like what happened yesterday.

Donegal were a shambles and to be fair to them are carrying injuries to their top men which they dont have the bench to cover. But as McGuinness himself said yesterday that still doesnt take from an awesome Mayo performance.

I'm biased towards Mayo as they're a Connacht side + I particularly admire their manager and this bunch of players. They've progressed further each season, they work hard, they keep focussed and they play a very attractive brand of football. Mayo have shown an incredibly high level of consistency since 1996 and deserve to win Sam.

I think alot of other neutrals were happy to see them win in order to shove it down McGuinness's throat. I really dont know how himself of Gallagher expected their pre match comments to have a positive effect on their own team's performance or a negative one on their opponent's. For an expert in matters of the mind Jim made himself look very insecure and after his team' s performance.... foolish. McGee didnt do himself, his team mates, his manager or the sport in general any favours with his stamp. To be fair to the Donegal manager he was sporting in his post match comments but again alluded to his side being targeted. Yesterday was not only a victory for Mayo but a vindication of James Horan's class and integrity.

Where to now for the westerners? Tyrone are lurking in the long grass of course. Mickey Harte is a legendary strategist and my guess is that his main focus will be on using any means possible to stop Mayo getting a good start. In all their matches this year they had the game won by half time? Harte will be hoping to stay in touch in the first half in order to sow doubt in to Horan's player's minds.

Roscommon were unlucky not to beat Tyrone. Donegal beat them. Both sides were hammered by Mayo. However it's not as simple as that as the longer Tyrone remain in the championship the better they adapt to what's required to eek out narrow victories as evidenced by their 2pt winning margins this season.  I think this match will be a dog fight. I think Tyrone will cynically slow it down as much as possible but in a way this might be exactly what Mayo need if they are to progress to an AI final and win it when they get there this time. They need to play a match where they still have to win the game in the 2nd half. They need to win ugly.  Tyrone will provide them with the opportunity to do just that.

Longterm it's fair to say the Connacht men lack genuine finishers up front. But they compensate for that with having a spread of players from Higgins when he plays corner back to Andy Moran at corner forward who all are comfortable on the ball and can chip in a few scores each. Aidan O'Se in terms of pure primary possession and drive + Cillian O'Connor in terms of vision and finishing are vital to their cause. But at centre back and full they also have game changers. Thats before you mention Dillon's work rate and Freeman's ball winning abilities. I dont think Andy has the pace back in his legs yet to win ball out in front of his man. It's a pity Conroy isn't back.

I think it will be a Dublin V Mayo final. That will be a fascinating match up. Mayo's overall collective work ethic v Dublin's panache up front. But before that Tyrone will relish their opportunity to upset the apple cart. However I think this Mayo manager and his current panel are too focussed and grounded to fall for that trap. Well done again Mayo. Delighted for all the Mayo lads on this forum. Ye did the province proud. Drive on!

Good Post.

+1

venter

Brilliant performance by mayo.
After Donegal rallying to score 3 in a row after our good start, we completely took over the show. It was hard to believe what was happening when Vaughan stuck that second goal.
We had great performances all over the pitch and o'se was undoubtably man of the match. It would do ya good watching such an awesome, honest and spectacular display of fielding, running, blocking and passing.
Cillian o connor is proving to be a clinical operator that will keep any team honest for a full 70 minutes. His finish for the first goal was gooch like in his sense of calm slotting it to the corner.
After 18 months of injury and a dip in form, it was great to see Donnie Vaughan show what he can do. He has the potential to be our leader.we need him to keep it going if we are finally going to get over the line.
Also need freeman to keep ticking over for the remainder of championship.
His own achievement will go hand in hand with how much the team can achieve.
Fantastic day in Dublin yesterday

Mayo4Sam

I'm sure if any of the mayo forwards were reading this they'd be wondering what they have to do as a unit to be recognised as clinical finishers?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

prewtna

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 06, 2013, 09:31:30 AM
I'm sure if any of the mayo forwards were reading this they'd be wondering what they have to do as a unit to be recognised as clinical finishers?

its no harm.

Consider if you are a back-line setting yourselves up against the current Tyrone forwards. Stop O'Neill and you have knocked a fair dent into their scoring abilities. In Donegal, stop McFadden and Murphy and you are half way there.

If you are a back-line facing the Mayo forwards, who do you single out? Take out any one individual (except maybe O'Connor if he keeps going the way he is going at the moment) and you don't really change things all that much. They all seem to operate at a fairly equal level. Invariably they all chip in with a few scores and add in the few coming from the midfield / backs and its difficult to pin point who to target from a defenders point of view.

Their perceived weakness as not being 'clinical' (ala B Brogan a few season ago) could in fact be their greatest strength.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2013, 02:10:52 PM
What a performance from Mayo, simply breathtaking. Although I've always and a soft spot for Donegal I have to say I enjoyed this particular version of Donegal football getting a tanking, the game is bigger than any county and hopefully this beating will see a change in focus by IC teams away from the ultra negativity of Donegal.

I've said for a while now that Mayo are as good as anyone from 1 to 9 but question marks hang over their forwards. Yesterday's performance certainly answered some of them and COC for one is beginning to show my doubts about him are misplaced. However, I still have a niggling feeling that Mayo still lack a bit up front. While it's hard to hold that view in light of recent evidence Galway, Ros, London and this version of Donegal are all off the pace of the best. Still, only good teams can take full advantage of that and Mayo have done so spectacularly.

A lack of pace and a proven trigger man are my concerns and they remain, though that might be a case of me thinking something and being reluctant to let it go even in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary, hopefully it is. I'd love to see Mayo win the All Ireland and there'll be few happier non-Mayo men than myself if they do. If they can get one I'm sure they'll add to it in the coming years as they have a great squad and it looks like they've more good players coming through.

A Dublin v Mayo final would be great to see.

I think Zulu that doubts linger because of so many failures in such a short space of time by Mayo that it is hard for Mayo people let alone a neutral fan to banish these doubts.

Zulu

Probably true CB and as prewtna said it might be no harm not having an established marquee forward, though I think Dublin and Kerry have as good a spread of scorers as Mayo. Good teams do what Mayo are doing but Mayo forwards haven't been in a pressure situation yet this. I mean Donie Vaughan has scored two goals with the opposition goal keeper behind him and O'Connor gathered the ball on the edge of the square unmarked for a few of his, so while the stats are impressive the opposition defending requires analysis.   

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Zulu on August 06, 2013, 10:10:49 AM
Probably true CB and as prewtna said it might be no harm not having an established marquee forward, though I think Dublin and Kerry have as good a spread of scorers as Mayo. Good teams do what Mayo are doing but Mayo forwards haven't been in a pressure situation yet this. I mean Donie Vaughan has scored two goals with the opposition goal keeper behind him and O'Connor gathered the ball on the edge of the square unmarked for a few of his, so while the stats are impressive the opposition defending requires analysis.

There is only one recognition that this team want and that is the Celtic cross in their arse pocket.....

sans pessimism

Win Sam!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ballinaman

Delighted for Kevin Keane to come on a stick that point over by the way. He must have enjoyed that one.

Farrandeelin

Only getting a chance to post now as I'm in Ballina in an internet cafe and no internet at home. They really did tear into Donegal and beat the living daylights out of them. It was over at half time. No Mayo player can be faulted for anything on Sunday. A great performance, I only hope we can repeat it for 2 more games this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Biff

Quote from: Zulu on August 06, 2013, 10:10:49 AM
If some Dub forwards had looked around and spotted unmarked colleagues on the edge of the square instead of trying desperate shots, then Dublin might have scored a couple of similar tap-in goals.  Such team-awareness and heads-up play is not widespread in my opinion.  Those Mayo tap-in's may not have looked spectacular, but were superb team scores, and not down to just bad defending.
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

oakleafgael

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2013, 09:52:23 PM
After watching the McGee incident on the Sunday Game it is without doubt the worst incident I have seen on a football pitch.Tyrone have been no angels over the years but stamping on another person's neck on purpose could have caused serious damage.

Thats a very short memory you have omagh gael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcxdaQ4-XR4

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 06, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2013, 09:52:23 PM
After watching the McGee incident on the Sunday Game it is without doubt the worst incident I have seen on a football pitch.Tyrone have been no angels over the years but stamping on another person's neck on purpose could have caused serious damage.

Thats a very short memory you have omagh gael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcxdaQ4-XR4

absolutely disgraceful. That is far,far worse than the McGee incident. He could have broken that fellas neck the way he came down on him.

No wonder RTE have not had him back as a pundit. You can't have tramps like that commenting on incidents when he was the worst of the lot.

thewobbler

I was wondering the same.

Winning every game up to the semis by an average of 15 points has to be a record.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the way Mayo's forwards operate. You could spend 10 years of your life coaching and cajoling inter county forwards to be that unselfish and patient, and you would mostly fail miserably at it. It goes against the instinct of fellas who've been the shooters their whole football careers, to make decoy runs, and to pass to the man in space. But on this evidence, Mayo are operating on an unusually collective plain.