Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2013, 07:31:24 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 04, 2013, 07:25:38 PM
I would still say Dublin has got a better team than Mayo except in 1 crucial area in round middle of the field plus the dubs full back line is untested. I think everyone has pushed Mayo and the dubs to the all-Ireland final already but there is bound to be an upset be it not  a big one in the semis. I Still think Kerry are very dangerous and could turn the dubs over. mayo will look to get their hands on O`Neill and Cavanagh and if they hold these 2 players tyrone have not got the scoring power elsewhere to win the game, but again Tyrone could win the semi too. Its just to hard to call

mayo are better at midfield and in the full back line. fairly clear advantages

True, but everywhere else Dublin are stronger particularly in the forward division and on the bench and significantly they have the Cluxton weapon to avoid midfield kick out duels.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2013, 07:42:48 PM
I would still say Dublin has got a better team than Mayo except in 1 crucial area in round middle of the field plus the dubs full back line is untested. I think everyone has pushed Mayo and the dubs to the all-Ireland final already but there is bound to be an upset be it not  a big one in the semis. I Still think Kerry are very dangerous and could turn the dubs over. mayo will look to get their hands on O`Neill and Cavanagh and if they hold these 2 players tyrone have not got the scoring power elsewhere to win the game, but again Tyrone could win the semi too. Its just to hard to call

True, but everywhere else Dublin are stronger particularly in the forward division and on the bench and significantly they have the Cluxton weapon to avoid midfield kick out duels.

Some of the Clux's kick-outs have been pretty poor lately. Must be all that trotting up the field.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 07:45:04 PM

Some of the Clux's kick-outs have been pretty poor lately. Must be all that trotting up the field.

Definitely didn't have his best game last night in terms of possessions secured from own kick out. However it's more a case of opposing teams closing down space for short kicks. Still looking at his scoring rate it's a clear advantage in a tight contest to have the weapon of his long range free kicks. He is still the best keeper in the game by a distance in terms of kicking.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on August 04, 2013, 05:40:01 PM
I like the ruthless Mayo.

I have being saying it all year, the best team in Ireland is Dublin and a close second is Mayo. Two squads that are not getting the respect the deserve. That said Tyrone and Kerry will be no walkovers.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

INDIANA

You seriously think mayo's half abck line is a weakness? easily as good as ours. Only advantage we have is a marquee forward line that is in patchy form.

Armamike

Bad tanking for Donegal - they looked just completely empty.  But these results happen and teams come back. No doubt Donegal will be back next year, as long as McGuinness stays on.  Good to see McGuinness and Horan shaking hands at the end and showing a bit of sense.
That's just, like your opinion man.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Currently on Paddy Powers
Mayo 5/4
Dublin 6/4
Kerry 5/1
Tyrone 9/1

I don't believe Mayo are ahead of Dublin. Kerry and especially Tyrone are still very dangerous. But this must be the first time Paddy Powers ever presented odds like those.

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2013, 08:13:05 PM

You seriously think mayo's half abck line is a weakness? easily as good as ours. Only advantage we have is a marquee forward line that is in patchy form.

Not at all, they are good players and Vaughan was excellent today but Dublins 2 wing backs, in particular McCaffrey are potent attacking weapons. For me McCaffrey is the most exciting young player in the country, his pace is frightening and all he wants to do is constantly bomb forward.

yellowcard

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2013, 08:19:13 PM
Mayo 5/4
Dublin 6/4
Kerry 5/1
Tyrone 9/1

I don't believe Mayo are ahead of Dublin. Kerry and especially Tyrone are still very dangerous. But this must be the first time Paddy Powers ever presented odds like those.

Looking at those odds it seems a shoe in for a Dublin v Mayo final. It's hard to argue but I wouldn't like to be backing either side at almost odds on prices, ridiculous prices really. Whether they will win the semi finals or not is debatable but both Kerry and Tyrone have proven winners in their ranks and will have no fear of either Dublin or Mayo. Both Kerry and Tyrone are probably stronger mentally than their opponents but still think the momentum is with Dublin and Mayo.

Whitnail

Goes back to the Leauge really.

The Tyrone match was strange it really could have gone either way. Every other game in 2013 Leauge& championship was kinda like today .... directionless.

With the half forward line stuttering and unable to take scores or keep posesson.  It's  been long balls pumped into Murphy's general direction with i"d say about 75% of scores comming from McFadden &Murphy frees.

I think alot of Donegal people hoped the style would evolve as the system ,to work, required the type of fitness level ahletes train for in  the Olympic games!

There was too much unprofessionalism in the Leauge and you can't just flick a switch and arrive at championship level competitiveness after very  souless  aimless losses.

There still a great bunch of lads and as Martin McHugh said " free cars from garages and alot of dinner dances and that there"

Well done Mayo and best of luck with the elusive Sam. So hard to say how good you were exactly today as your  opposition  were  so farcical but I reckon it's the right level for another final and maybe more.

Lar Naparka

Lest anyone forgets, Tyrone and Kerry are haven't gone away, you know. They were the teams that dominated the last decade I wouldn't write off either just yet. I'll wait until after the semis before I'd put money on Mayo, or for that matter the Dubs, going the whole way.
I think Mayo are ideally placed as they are still in the development stage and haven't peaked yet. How much more Horan can coax out of them remains to be seen.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197876
Gallagher accuses Mayo of "colluding" with Monaghan
01 August 2013

Donegal selector Rory Gallagher with manager Jim McGuinnessSunday's All-Ireland SFC quarter-final between Donegal and Mayo is rapidly becoming the GAA's biggest grudge match in years.

It follows sensational claims made by Donegal assistant manager Rory Gallagher that Mayo offered advice to Monaghan on how to beat the All-Ireland champions when the counties met in a challenge match before the Ulster final. And this has led Gallagher to believe that the heavy challenge by Monaghan's Stephen Gollogly that forced Mark McHugh's early withdrawal, and which left the Kilcar man with concussion, a burst ear drum and a quad muscle injury, was pre-meditated.

"Maybe we suspect there was a bit of collusion between Monaghan and Mayo," Gallagher said in the Irish News.

"Bear in mind Lee Keegan's tackle on Mark McHugh at the start of last year's All-Ireland final. When Lee Keegan got booked, he came out and winked at a team-mate as if to say 'job done'.

"I don't believe for one minute that Gollogly went out to do the harm he did. He went out to hit him hard, but our player came out of it badly. I know Gollogly hurt himself as well.

"I don't believe Malachy O'Rourke sent any player out to 'do' anyone. That is not in his nature. But ask some of the top referees to view the incident. Was it a dangerous tackle? It was reckless and dangerous. At the end of the day, that deserves a red card."

The former Fermanagh star also claimed that well-known sports psychologist and journalist Kieran Shannon is advising Mayo manager James Horan on what to say to the media.

"I think Horan works to a pre-mediated script and I think Kieran Shannon is behind a good bit of it," Gallagher continued.

"I know Shannon fairly well. He was involved with Fermanagh when Malachy O'Rourke was there. I think Shannon is behind Horan's statements."

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2013, 08:19:13 PM
Mayo 5/4
Dublin 6/4
Kerry 5/1
Tyrone 9/1

Mayo ahead of Dublin because Dublin have the tougher semi final and are thus a little less likely than Mayo to make the final. 

omagh_gael

After watching the McGee incident on the Sunday Game it is without doubt the worst incident I have seen on a football pitch.Tyrone have been no angels over the years but stamping on another person's neck on purpose could have caused serious damage.

CK_Redhand

So is O'Shea getting man of the match and getting sent off a rotten disgrace as well?