Laois v Donegal

Started by laoislad, July 21, 2013, 11:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 23, 2013, 04:25:44 PM
Donegal are clearly not at the same stage as they would have been with an Ulster title. Instead of a two week break, they have to get through an extra game just six days after losing a provincial final. Only Down have managed this in the 12 years since the qualifiers were introduced.

The best motivation for Donegal would have been retaining the Anglo Celt after a scare against Monaghan, which would also have meant avoiding other provincial champions in the quarter finals. They should still be capable of beating Laois, but they have made life much more difficult for themselves and the bookies have pushed them out to 9/1 for Sam as a result.

Jimmy sacrificed the Ulster title in an aim to win back to back All Irelands. He tried to lose to Down but got his calculations a bit wrong. Now with the players hunger and desire back in place they will beat Dublin, Kerry or Mayo in their next match.

Quote from: yellowcard on July 23, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
I believe they would account for Kerry easily. I think they would also beat Dublin but Mayo would be another slugfest war of attrition type game that may not suit Donegal. I think they are the one team that could unhinge them at the qf stage. Thats all presuming they get past Laois which could be tricky because of the timing.

They would have to play Mayo in the All Ireland semi final anyway. It's a risky game that Jimmy is playing but it will make the quarter finals interesting.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Mourne Rover

DM, your first suggestion that Donegal deliberately lost an Ulster final was entertaining. You now seem to be claiming that they actually meant to lose the provincial semi final so presumably you will tell us next that the real master plan was to get beaten by Tyrone in the first round. Presumably you would like Jimmy to opt out of Ulster entirely next year and cruise through all four stages of the qualifiers instead ? 

onefaircounty

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 23, 2013, 05:28:52 PM
DM, your first suggestion that Donegal deliberately lost an Ulster final was entertaining. You now seem to be claiming that they actually meant to lose the provincial semi final so presumably you will tell us next that the real master plan was to get beaten by Tyrone in the first round. Presumably you would like Jimmy to opt out of Ulster entirely next year and cruise through all four stages of the qualifiers instead ?

This is the same Don't Matter who claimed a team recorded a 10-point win because they won the coin toss, so I wouldn't be taking too much notice.

From the Bunker

+1

Jimmy sacrificed a historic 3 in a row AngloCelt for a harder route to win an AI?  ::)

Syferus

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on July 23, 2013, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on July 23, 2013, 04:06:50 PM
Jimmy knew motivation was needed for his players and the only way to regain that was by losing a match.
If they had won they would have been playing Tyrone or Cork or one of those big guns in the quarter final, now they will be playing one of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo. No real difference. They're still at the same stage as they would have been with an Ulster title but now the players have got a wake up call and will have motivation to prove those that are writing them off wrong.
None of Dublin/Kerry/Mayo want them in the draw.

I believe they would account for Kerry easily. I think they would also beat Dublin but Mayo would be another slugfest war of attrition type game that may not suit Donegal. I think they are the one team that could unhinge them at the qf stage. Thats all presuming they get past Laois which could be tricky because of the timing.

The donegal of last year may have had a chance v mayo, dublin and kerry but this year donegal have been poor all year. Donegal have 5 key players. Murphy and mcfadden up front, mchugh and lacey in defence and neil gallagher. Lacey is nowhere near fit and is unlikely to be anywhere near match fitness unless donegal go all the way to the final. Also mchugh and gallagher have struggled with fitness this year. If either murphy or mcfadden have off days or get injured donegal have little chance of beating the top teams. When both have off days then donegal will lose to most teams as happened with monaghan. That isn't meant as disrespect to monaghan who played brilliantly and i hope they go further in the competition. Donegal will really struggle to beat laois. If they do I would rate their chances in the quarter final as very slim no matter who they draw.

ck

Have to agree with the above.
Donegal lost all their McKenna cup games, they then got relegated from div.1. Their Tyrone performance was excellent and perhaps masked what was really going on? If Down were any good they'd have beaten Donegal easily and then Monaghan did what Down threatened. One performance in a season doesn't win you anything, but of course only a fool would write them off. For me, Donegal are not firing, lack hunger and the bodies and minds are tired. I expect them to beat Laois all the same

J70

McHugh is unlikely to be fit for this weekend after a dead leg and two nights in hospital with concussion.

I will reserve judgement on potential quarter final prospects until we see how they do this weekend. A third poor performance in a row, even if we win, would be very worrying. You can't turn form on with a switch (Kerry excepted, maybe!).

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dont Matter

No, they couldn't give Tyrone confidence you see. They have them bet now and everyone knows it.
You are thinking like what mere mortals think like. You don't know what it's like to have a brain like Jim bob or Dont Matter. I could explain it but it would blow your mind.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: onefaircounty on July 23, 2013, 05:33:07 PM
This is the same Don't Matter who claimed a team recorded a 10-point win because they won the coin toss, so I wouldn't be taking too much notice.

Read the above post mere mortal.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2013, 05:34:32 PM
+1

Jimmy sacrificed a historic 3 in a row AngloCelt for a harder route to win an AI?  ::)

He's at the same stage now as he was before.
Once Jimmy wraps his career up in 50 years, Ulster titles wont exist, Jimo is well aware of this and he knows being All Ireland champs is what's cookin.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Peter Quinn

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

I really love jump on the band wagon supporters lol