All-Ireland Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by Syferus, July 21, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam2011

Massive well done to our minors. There are some real stars of the future in that team.
It's such a pity that the win is being overshadowed by the seniors loss.
Despite the doom and gloom around the future is still bright in Mayo GAA.

neilthemac

Big question: Who is paying for all this team preparation in Mayo?
The seniors alone would have cost a small fortune.

Plus they asked for next years cairde membership in advance and they have the huge debt on McHale park.

Farrandeelin

It was my first time ever in Croke Park seeing Mayo win a trophy. (I didn't go to the 2001 league final). For that alone it was great. Such a shame as Sam2011 said that it's been so overshadowed by the senior loss. Very good up front, which is strange for a Mayo side. It set it up nicely for the big game too, alas it wasn't to be.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

The Mayo manager Enda Gilvarry made interesting point after the game on how two Mayo sides in the final helped his side prepare without the added hype or expectations. All the talk was about the seniors and his panel of players were able to go about their business almost unnoticed.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

We should not forget a 28 year footballing famine ended for Mayo yesterday. We have won Minor, U-21, NFL, and clubtitles since the turn of the millenium. We are getting closer.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Main Street

Quote from: neilthemac on September 23, 2013, 06:19:44 PM
Big question: Who is paying for all this team preparation in Mayo?
The seniors alone would have cost a small fortune.
Whatever Mayo raised to finance the football teams, you can be sure the Dubs had at least 10 times more at their disposal.

Maybe if Mayo were only in the minor final this year, this magnificent victory would be more appreciated by Mayo folk.

ONeill

Jaysus - Cumiskey a big fan of Tyrone I guess:

Minor consolation as the Mayo way prevails against combative Tyrone

Relief from some of the pain at least as Stephen Coen became Mayo's only teenager since 1985 to lift the Tommy Markham Cup.
Gaelic football can also celebrate this victory. Yesterday's minor final supplied further evidence of the heavy load placed on the incoming black card to deal effectively with cynical fouling in 2014.

Nothing new in the way Tyrone went about their business. The streamlined nature of their football teams these past 10 years is unmistakable. Especially on All-Ireland final day. Systematic fouling is just how they do it. Flick back through recent history. Darran O'Sullivan's rag-dolling as the Kerry minors faltered in 2004 lingers in the mind but two more national titles followed in 2008 and 2010.

Priority is success

Tyrone do what they do because their priority is success.
They instantly discarded traditional positioning with blonde mopped midfielder Frank Burns landing in the fullback line as a Franco Baresi type stopper who initiated rapid counter-attacks with some excellent distribution.
Burns fouled with the subtlety of a veteran Ulster born defender. Full Forward Daire Gallagher also dropped deep as they attempted to put the squeeze on Mayo's flowing approach.

The usually reliable tactics failed. Or, more accurately, Mayo were too powerful, too conditioned, too much for them to contain. Their own defensive anchors, Séamus Cunniffe and Coen, had no body to mark and could predict the ball coming on top or below them.
But until referee Conor Lane started brandishing yellow cards as punishment for fouls on Mayo forwards who were first to incoming ball, Tyrone were in control.

By half-time Lee Brennan and Ruairí McGlone had their names taken. By the end they had five bookings. It could easily have been two red cards.
Mayo's cause was equally assisted by Liam Irwin landing frees from all angles, including a magnificent left-footed stroke from wide right that reduced Tyrone's lead to 0-4 to 0-5 after 28 minutes.

Tyrone's natural footballing ability was another feature of the contest with eight different players registering on the scoreboard. (It would be remiss not to mention 15-year-old David Mulgrew at right half forward. Remember the name.)
But their instinct seemed to be to stymie before expression. It was Tommy Conroy of Kiltane who set this western bonfire ablaze. And try as they might, Tyrone's defence couldn't stall his goal after 29 minutes. It was scored despite the attentions of Cillian McCann and Burns, the rasping shot palmed into the top corner by goalkeeper Seán Fox.

The Tyrone way simply wasn't working. Not against this modern, physically imposing opposition. Just as the majority of the Mayo Faithful made their way into Croke Park, an avalanche of scores crushed the Red Hand dreams.

Conor Loftus made it a two point game with a finely struck free just after half-time and then Darragh Doherty came to life.
The corner forward seemed to be facing a crisis of confidence after two first-half wides but this young man clearly has a short memory.
Doherty registered 1-2 in a five minute spell that brought the first guttural roar of the day from the red and green faction. His second point was magical, his goal struck low and firm past the onrushing Fox.

Advantage rule

That was yet another example of Tyrone's inability to foul Mayo into submission. The advantage rule also helped.
Immediately after the green flag was raised Lane consulted his linesman before dishing out yellow cards for Christopher Morris and McCann.

The officials had a difficult day. There was a clear foul in the first half on Conroy that should have been a penalty.
Despite the cynical attitude, Tyrone were a team spread of talent and important scores from Lee Brennan kept them only three points adrift.

Mayo, with the Promised Land in sight, froze in their boots but sparks of resilience from Conroy and the excellent Conor Loftus kicked them onwards.

Tyrone refused to relent and for that they must be commended but after centre forward Conor McKenna fisted a goal in the third and final minute of injury time he aggressively attempted to clip two Mayo defenders as he returned to his position.
The GAA is in the process of reacting to the cynicism that infects Gaelic football. Superior conditioning and the very game itself defeated it yesterday. The Mayo way prevailed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/minor-consolation-as-the-mayo-way-prevails-against-combative-tyrone-1.1536493?page=2
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Yeah, the minors.

But seriously, what in God name are Tyrone at?

Why does every team in Tyrone buy into the same type/tactic? Colleges, underage, senior? It served it s time and brought Tyrone great success but game has moved on. I can understand Mickey Harte sticking to his guns but some  coach asking those kids to ape that style Sunday was surprising.

Calm day, seriously good players in this Tyrone team and they go out and play a seriosly influential player as a sweeper. Unbelievable! Don t get me wrong, I played a sweeper before Tyrone ever did! - because I had to! Tyrone didn t have to - they had fine players, when the shackles are removed, as was shown against Ros. as well.

A few things.

* Mayo youngsters would not be used to playing against that type of formation. Took a while to come to terms with it and Tyrone setteld better but it was all a bit false.

* The Conroy goal and Mayo s good start to second half forced Tyrone to be more progressive and they then looked a serious team. Mayo then seriously wilted. But there was always a chance then that we would get a few scores on the break with Tyrone chasing the game. And that is what happened.

* Really Tyrone played into our hands unless they knew their markers could not handle our forwards without a sweeper. Jaysus we were given some respect. Are our minor forwards so good that a sweeper was necessary? Or is it obligitory in every Tyrone team?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2013, 12:07:55 AM
Jaysus - Cumiskey a big fan of Tyrone I guess:

Minor consolation as the Mayo way prevails against combative Tyrone

Relief from some of the pain at least as Stephen Coen became Mayo's only teenager since 1985 to lift the Tommy Markham Cup.
Gaelic football can also celebrate this victory. Yesterday's minor final supplied further evidence of the heavy load placed on the incoming black card to deal effectively with cynical fouling in 2014.

Nothing new in the way Tyrone went about their business. The streamlined nature of their football teams these past 10 years is unmistakable. Especially on All-Ireland final day. Systematic fouling is just how they do it. Flick back through recent history. Darran O'Sullivan's rag-dolling as the Kerry minors faltered in 2004 lingers in the mind but two more national titles followed in 2008 and 2010.

Priority is success

Tyrone do what they do because their priority is success.
They instantly discarded traditional positioning with blonde mopped midfielder Frank Burns landing in the fullback line as a Franco Baresi type stopper who initiated rapid counter-attacks with some excellent distribution.
Burns fouled with the subtlety of a veteran Ulster born defender. Full Forward Daire Gallagher also dropped deep as they attempted to put the squeeze on Mayo's flowing approach.

The usually reliable tactics failed. Or, more accurately, Mayo were too powerful, too conditioned, too much for them to contain. Their own defensive anchors, Séamus Cunniffe and Coen, had no body to mark and could predict the ball coming on top or below them.
But until referee Conor Lane started brandishing yellow cards as punishment for fouls on Mayo forwards who were first to incoming ball, Tyrone were in control.

By half-time Lee Brennan and Ruairí McGlone had their names taken. By the end they had five bookings. It could easily have been two red cards.
Mayo's cause was equally assisted by Liam Irwin landing frees from all angles, including a magnificent left-footed stroke from wide right that reduced Tyrone's lead to 0-4 to 0-5 after 28 minutes.

Tyrone's natural footballing ability was another feature of the contest with eight different players registering on the scoreboard. (It would be remiss not to mention 15-year-old David Mulgrew at right half forward. Remember the name.)
But their instinct seemed to be to stymie before expression. It was Tommy Conroy of Kiltane who set this western bonfire ablaze. And try as they might, Tyrone's defence couldn't stall his goal after 29 minutes. It was scored despite the attentions of Cillian McCann and Burns, the rasping shot palmed into the top corner by goalkeeper Seán Fox.

The Tyrone way simply wasn't working. Not against this modern, physically imposing opposition. Just as the majority of the Mayo Faithful made their way into Croke Park, an avalanche of scores crushed the Red Hand dreams.

Conor Loftus made it a two point game with a finely struck free just after half-time and then Darragh Doherty came to life.
The corner forward seemed to be facing a crisis of confidence after two first-half wides but this young man clearly has a short memory.
Doherty registered 1-2 in a five minute spell that brought the first guttural roar of the day from the red and green faction. His second point was magical, his goal struck low and firm past the onrushing Fox.

Advantage rule

That was yet another example of Tyrone's inability to foul Mayo into submission. The advantage rule also helped.
Immediately after the green flag was raised Lane consulted his linesman before dishing out yellow cards for Christopher Morris and McCann.

The officials had a difficult day. There was a clear foul in the first half on Conroy that should have been a penalty.
Despite the cynical attitude, Tyrone were a team spread of talent and important scores from Lee Brennan kept them only three points adrift.

Mayo, with the Promised Land in sight, froze in their boots but sparks of resilience from Conroy and the excellent Conor Loftus kicked them onwards.

Tyrone refused to relent and for that they must be commended but after centre forward Conor McKenna fisted a goal in the third and final minute of injury time he aggressively attempted to clip two Mayo defenders as he returned to his position.
The GAA is in the process of reacting to the cynicism that infects Gaelic football. Superior conditioning and the very game itself defeated it yesterday. The Mayo way prevailed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/minor-consolation-as-the-mayo-way-prevails-against-combative-tyrone-1.1536493?page=2

Fcuk me given the cynical crap served up in the senior game this piece stinks to the high heavens at what point do the GAA public reign in the gingoistic southern media. Absolute anti Tyrone bile which takes away from the magnificent achievement of Mayo minors.

blewuporstuffed

Unbelievable agenda driven piece of rubbish that is passed off as journalism.
These are minor lads he is writing about here, U18s.
Its bad enough that this stuff is thrown at senior players.
As one sided as piece of writing as you will ever see, the same dublin journalist most have missed the last 10 minutes of the senior game.

As another poster said, why could he not just write about a really good mayo minor team (which it is) and set aside his complete anti tyrone bias for one article.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 24, 2013, 08:21:43 AM
Unbelievable agenda driven piece of rubbish that is passed off as journalism.
These are minor lads he is writing about here, U18s.
Its bad enough that this stuff is thrown at senior players.
As one sided as piece of writing as you will ever see, the same dublin journalist most have missed the last 10 minutes of the senior game.

As another poster said, why could he not just write about a really good mayo minor team (which it is) and set aside his complete anti tyrone bias for one article.

Shows a serious lack of class to put the boot into a minor team that's just lost an all-Ireland.
Some serious players on both sides, Tyrone showed what they were capable of in the last 15 minutes but it was too late.
Hard luck Tyrone
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 01:31:37 AM
Yeah, the minors.

But seriously, what in God name are Tyrone at?

Why does every team in Tyrone buy into the same type/tactic? Colleges, underage, senior? It served it s time and brought Tyrone great success but game has moved on. I can understand Mickey Harte sticking to his guns but some  coach asking those kids to ape that style Sunday was surprising.

Calm day, seriously good players in this Tyrone team and they go out and play a seriosly influential player as a sweeper. Unbelievable! Don t get me wrong, I played a sweeper before Tyrone ever did! - because I had to! Tyrone didn t have to - they had fine players, when the shackles are removed, as was shown against Ros. as well.

A few things.

* Mayo youngsters would not be used to playing against that type of formation. Took a while to come to terms with it and Tyrone setteld better but it was all a bit false.

* The Conroy goal and Mayo s good start to second half forced Tyrone to be more progressive and they then looked a serious team. Mayo then seriously wilted. But there was always a chance then that we would get a few scores on the break with Tyrone chasing the game. And that is what happened.

* Really Tyrone played into our hands unless they knew their markers could not handle our forwards without a sweeper. Jaysus we were given some respect. Are our minor forwards so good that a sweeper was necessary? Or is it obligitory in every Tyrone team?

I'd agree with much of your assessment about Tyrone. Against Kerry, Roscommon and Mayo - when they reverted to a traditional 15, they were much more dangerous.

But I think the 4 goals they shipped in the Ulster Final made the management take stock of what needed to be done to win the All-Ireland. It doesn't say much about the defenders we're producing. To be fair, if Tyrone had won, the sweeper was MOTM. Frank Burns was close to immaculate. But you just feel he'd have been just as good in midfield.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Maybe the article goes a bit over the top in naming names, but in the main it hits the nail exactly on the head.
Most folks watching that game were pleased that "the Mayo way prevailed".

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Main Street on September 24, 2013, 10:53:36 AM
Maybe the article goes a bit over the top in naming names, but in the main it hits the nail exactly on the head.
Most folks watching that game were pleased that "the Mayo way prevailed".
I seen the tyrone minor manager tweeting taht the foul count was tyrone-23 mayo -20
hardly the one sided foul-fest suggested in the article and an awful lot less than the senior game
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

I'm sure the Tyrone manager can tweet, but can he count?

Anybody watching the game can make up their own minds as to what style of play Mayo employed and what style of play Tyrone supplement their game with. The article makes it clear that Tyrone have a very talented bunch of players but have that default, rigid, added cynicism tagged on. Tyrone don't need it in order to play football and win games. That's the glaringly obvious thing.
Just as Dublin didn't need Pillar to turn them into some ridiculous group of (boot boy) gladiators, in order to get a winning team.